PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a discus tank

discuschennai
09-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Hi All,

My name is Jithin I am a discus enthusiast from India. I am setting up a discus tank so i am collecting information. I have few questions for you all
please answer if you find time.

1) Do we need to paint the side glass and back glass of the discus aquarium blue ? if yes why ?
2) How to condition the new discus so that they become active as soon as possible and come to the front of the tank when we go to feed them ?

Thanks
Jithin

poconogal
09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi All,

My name is Jithin I am a discus enthusiast from India. I am setting up a discus tank so i am collecting information. I have few questions for you all
please answer if you find time.

1) Do we need to paint the side glass and back glass of the discus aquarium blue ? if yes why ?
2) How to condition the new discus so that they become active as soon as possible and come to the front of the tank when we go to feed them ?

Thanks
Jithin

Hello Jithin, welcome to Simply!

It's not necessary to paint the sides of your tank at all. Many people do, (I believe especially those who have set up breeder tanks) but many people do not. I did not. I do have a background on the back of my tank, however, which hides various wires etc. As far as background or side colors, most like to keep to lighter colors, light blue, white, etc. as Discus will darken themselves to blend in. This goes for substrate, as well. Dark colors on backgrounds and gravel will make the Discus darken and Pidgeon Bloods will pepper. When I had a black background on my tank, my Blue Diamond darkened to almost black and I could barely see her. I removed the black background!

As far as conditioning the Discus to greet you at the front of the tank, it takes some time, and you can also put in a tiny amount of food each time you approach the tank. They will soon equate your approach with food and be happy to see you, the "Giant Food Dispenser."

Connie