PDA

View Full Version : Emperor 400/280 Power Filter

diamond_discus
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Anyone using the Marienland Emperor Bio-Wheel Power filer (400 or 280) ?
What kind of filer media do you use for your discus tank ?

Dave_Discus
09-18-2006, 07:54 PM
I have the 280...You COULD use ceramic rings or the like...I just use
a square spong filter from a xp3 jammed in there and rinse it in tank water
every few days. Pretty easy to clean that way..rather than rinsing out the rings...also I took out the sponge and vacuumed out the bottom of the filter
when I did a wc today. (I also use a #4 in tank sponge filter)

As far as I understand the guru's use no carbon or zeolite...pretty much
sponges that can be rinsed in the water from a waterchange...not the tap.

Am I close?

09-19-2006, 09:00 AM
I like the 280's and 400's, I use them and sponge filters. I use a box cutter and get all the carbon out of the filter and use the filter that comes with the emperors

diamond_discus
09-19-2006, 04:09 PM
The 280 and 400 comes with a second plastic media container. It's a good idea but I don't know what media to put in. Ceramic rings are too big for that container. Currently I have been using ammonia chip. I want to try chemi-pure, or bio chem zorb .. but I don't know how to make them stand straight with the 280/400 setup.

lhforbes12
09-19-2006, 04:19 PM
I have a 280 which I no longer use. The extra media container is pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned, there is really no room to put ANYTHING in it, and its very difficult to close if you try. Do not use it with CO2 because it will quickly remove any that you put into the water column. I found that it did do an excellent job of keeping NH3 and NO2 at 0 though. It also moves the water surface fairly well. I just used the cartridges that Marineland sells for it, but if I even decide to use it again (doubtful) I will put a sponge in it instead.

jeep
09-19-2006, 04:44 PM
The 280 and 400 comes with a second plastic media container. It's a good idea but I don't know what media to put in. Ceramic rings are too big for that container. Currently I have been using ammonia chip. I want to try chemi-pure, or bio chem zorb .. but I don't know how to make them stand straight with the 280/400 setup.

I cut most of the insert out and formed a grid, then sandwiched a piece of filter foam. Makes a decent mechanical filter and what is not taken into the filter is mostly corralled into an easily vacuumable pile...

diamond_discus
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Is there any pre-package peat that would fit inside the Emperor 400/280 ?

crazie.eddie
09-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Is there any pre-package peat that would fit inside the Emperor 400/280 ?

Unfortunately not, but you can use the additional tray to put the peat in there.

diamond_discus
09-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Do I need to put the peat in a media bag first before place it into the extra media container ?

Where is the best place to buy peat ? Can I regenerate/reuse peat ?

lhforbes12
09-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Do I need to put the peat in a media bag first before place it into the extra media container ?

Where is the best place to buy peat ? Can I regenerate/reuse peat ?

I would

Your local garden center

diamond_discus
09-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Any special brend for peat from local garden shop ? I heard that certain kind of those peat are toxic for discus fish.

Should I try the following ?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8232&Ntt=peat&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

filster
09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Fluval sells peat pellets I have been told they are alot better then reg peat. Deffinately allot easier to use just put them in a media bag or a nylon and put them in your emperor. I also cut the fins out of the plastic media holder put in floss make great mech. I don"t run peat in my emperor but I do have the eheim bio rocks in a bag.
filster

diamond_discus
09-21-2006, 02:04 AM
What floss are you referring to ?

filster
09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi floss was probably the wrong word its actually pillow batting I think thats what its called I bought it a wall mart its the exactly the same as big A sells as filter wool but a heck of alot cheaper. I don't think pillow batting is the exact name but if you go to wall mart too thier sewing and material section you will see different size bags of it. .
filster