PDA

View Full Version : jumbo tetras and discus

unfamous
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
have u guys ever had problems wit discus attacking jumbo tetras..cuz they are chasing them down in my 100 gallon tank...need help! or suggestions!

Dave_Discus
09-23-2006, 09:35 PM
General rule of thumb with fish is if it can fit in it's mouth it might eat it.

Now ask yourself..can they fit?

unfamous
09-23-2006, 09:51 PM
i guess i must have miss jugdedthat..but i never thought of discus to be going after them...i took them out though they only ate one of them thank god

White Worm
09-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Feed your discus, they are hungry!

Harriett
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
When I bring in juvies that I am planning on putting into my planted tank (which has a school of cardinals), this is what I do to avoid losing cardinals: when the juvies are done with QT but still small and growing out in the QT tank, I put a small school of adult cards in with them--discus get used to the cards while they are small, and when they reach sub adult or adult size and go into the planted tank, they never go after the cardinals--if they couldn't eat them while youngsters, they don't consider them food later. That's been my experience and I haven't lost a cardinal in years to a discus.
best regards
Harriett

poconogal
09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
When I bring in juvies that I am planning on putting into my planted tank (which has a school of cardinals), this is what I do to avoid losing cardinals: when the juvies are done with QT but still small and growing out in the QT tank, I put a small school of adult cards in with them--discus get used to the cards while they are small, and when they reach sub adult or adult size and go into the planted tank, they never go after the cardinals--if they couldn't eat them while youngsters, they don't consider them food later. That's been my experience and I haven't lost a cardinal in years to a discus.
best regards
Harriett
Good idea Harriett. I also made sure that my Cardinals were in the tank first and well established before the Discus went in there. Haven't lost any Cardinals and my Discus are about 5" TL, so they can snack on them if they chose (and if they can catch one LOL).

Also, when I did have one or two Discus chasing after a Cardinal, I immediately put a bit of food in the tank which the Discus came and ate, sort of "substitute" training. It seemed to work.

Harriett
09-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Excellant, Connie! Even the smartest discus is dumb as toast, easy to distract in the moment. (Think I'm going to get flack from those who own genius discus here?)
Best regards
Harriett

poconogal
09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Excellant, Connie! Even the smartest discus is dumb as toast, easy to distract in the moment. (Think I'm going to get flack from those who own genius discus here?)
Best regards
Harriett
Really easy to distract when it comes to food, that's for sure! :D

jojo4rmdabronx
10-28-2006, 11:14 PM
i had 40 neon tetras about 1" in length and 2 3.5-4" discus in my 60. they didnt seem bother eachother. about 2 months later I wanted to keep the bio-load down so i gave the neons to my friend. He only counted 28. So, im pretty sure they tore them up even though i never saw them do it. They musted of hunted at night. i had the same problem with my angel.