PDA

View Full Version : QT question

Jarrod
09-26-2006, 02:38 PM
As some of you know my son bought me a BN pleco for a belated b day present on the first of this month. It was bought at a very good lfs...when I say very good lfs I mean they take very good care of their tanks and their stock. Not once in the times that I have been in there have I seen any dead fish in their tanks nor any sign of any diseases on their fish. The BN is in a 25 gal qt tank that is set up like my other 3 discus tanks, meaning bb with a piece of natural driftwood in it. I know to qt any fish before adding it to my discus..my question is this...on a pleco what do you look for in terms of disease or anything else? I know to qt for at least 4 weeks to make sure it's healthy and all...given the fact that is shows no sign of any ick or anything readily apparent would I be safe in moving it into one of my discus tanks or should I just hold it in qt for another week or so? The qt tank has no algae bloom in it at all which I would think is normal for a tank being set up so short a period of time..the qt tank was set up and filled the day I brought the pleco home...my son did this as a surprise with no advance notice. Any thoughts on this would be muchly appreciated.
George

pcsb23
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi George, so long as the BN looks healthy, ie a nice brown colour and not pale, no white patches or hazy patches etc and its poo is brown to black, and regular shaped then I would say it was healthy. I would still qt it for a full 4 weeks minimum though if it were me.

hth,

Jarrod
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi George, so long as the BN looks healthy, ie a nice brown colour and not pale, no white patches or hazy patches etc and its poo is brown to black, and regular shaped then I would say it was healthy. I would still qt it for a full 4 weeks minimum though if it were me.

hth,

Thanks Paul!! It looks very good to me. It's not like I'm in a big hurry or anything...I mean it's only one BN and it's gonna go in one of my 55's with my discus so it's not going to get one of those cleaned up all by itself. Another week is no big deal at all....it's not like any of my discus are paired up and ready to spawn or anything...besides I want to get another 4-5 of them and get them in qt anyway and get them done with that and then take the 25 down completely and take it outside and get it all scrubbed out and sanitized properly and set back up to be used as a breeder/grow out tank should my discus decide to go the pairing up route and if they should do that before I get the other BN in house and in qt I can always just put in tank dividers and keep the pair on one side and let them let nature take its course. At least that's kind of the way my mind such as it is is leaning. I'm hoping that I'm at least partially on the right track with my concept.
Thanks for your input because I do truly value it.
George