PDA

View Full Version : First newbie water test done today

hoober
09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi everyone, the tank is 1 week old and here are the results of a water test i have done, can any of you convert any of these into PPM.?

Ph 8.5
Nitrite 0.1 mg/l
Nitrate 2.5 mg/l
Ammonia 0.1 mg/l

Havnt done a hardness test yet.

Please bare in mind that i havent had the heater on for a while as i had 4 goldfish in there, taken them out today ready for some cory`s on saturday.

Thanks

t_j
09-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Goldfish are a bad thing to have in your tank because they carry bad bacteria that can harm your discus even if your just using them to get your tank started specially if they come from like petsmart or something. Other people can give you better info on this subject and your water tests (this is just what I've heard and read).

pcsb23
09-28-2006, 01:23 PM
mg/l and ppm are the same thing to all intents. You would do better cycling the tank with clear ammonia, no risk of introducing parasites.

Dave_Discus
09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
You are going about this the wrong way. Don't start on a bad footing.

1. Turn on the heater and get it to 84-86 degrees. Nitrification slows down with low temps. Get it on and leave it alone.

2. Do not put any cories in until the tank is cycled.

3. Drain the tank and start over. Clean it with bleach. The goldfish
are the equivelant of a crack ***** fish. They are the filthiest fish
you could get.

4. Either start the tank with the "Fishless cycle" (do a search),
or get some gravel or a sponge from an established tank.

t_j
09-28-2006, 01:45 PM
I would do what Dave Discus said because if you put those corys in the same water and filtration as those goldfish they most likely will get any thing the goldfish are carrying and pass that to your discus. I've used "Cycle" witch you can get at any of your LFS.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//disease-sickness-medication/53489-white-herpes-looking-spots-side-fish.html?highlight=goldfish

Here is a link that tells a little more on goldfish.