PDA

View Full Version : Site Very Slow Since the Big Upgrade

poconogal
10-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi. I'm finding the site extremely slow, both when I sign on at work or at home. This has been since the upgrade. Before that, I had no problem, but now, I find that I'm having to wait 10, 20, sometimes about 30 seconds after clicking before anything will start to move. I could see if it was just at work, or just at home, or the middle of the day, but it's early a.m., late p.m. and anytime in between from either location. It seems to be fine with any other site that I visit. Both home and work have DSL. Anyone else having this problem?

Connie

lhforbes12
10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Yep

Ryan
10-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Hmmm... I use DSL at work and satellite at home. I haven't noticed any speed or performance issues.

I installed a new extension here that changes the link names within Simply... some of you may have noticed it. The threads now say simplydiscus.com/forum/general-discussion/threadname.html rather than simplydiscus.com/forum/showthread.php?=39484 etc.

This is done with redirects, so it takes an extra step. That may be why some people have seen a noticable delay. This extension is to improve our listings in search engines.

There were no hardware upgrades to the server. The only thing that changed was the template (which should have no effect on server performance, it's strictly aesthetic) and the upgrade to a new version of forum software. I would think if there were issues with the software, I would be experiencing problems as well...

CAGE-RATTLER
10-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Ive noticed the slow down as well.

Makes me feel like im on dial up again.

Ive noticed the progress bar fills fast but when it goes to the next page it hangs for a bit before the page appears.

Right this second tho ..... it doesnt seem as slow as it has been.

poconogal
10-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Ive noticed the slow down as well.

Makes me feel like im on dial up again.

Ive noticed the progress bar fills fast but when it goes to the next page it hangs for a bit before the page appears.

Right this second tho ..... it doesnt seem as slow as it has been.

Cage, exactly - it feels like dial up!

Tony_S
10-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Yup...Ive noticed it as well...all times of the day and night.

Tony

Elcid
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey Guyz:

How old is you computers? It's been slow on mine because I have an old 1GHZ Pentium based laptop with a slow video processor. The new interface is so much more graphical maybe it's our computer more than the bandwidth? It reminds me of when I went from AOL 5.0 to 6.0 and wish I hadn't. Try to change your graphics settings from 32bit to 16bit and give it a try, I haven't done it, just dealing with the changes :)

HTH,
Sandeep

White Worm
10-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I've got pretty updated computers at work and at home. I use dsl at work and cable at home and I have noticed a difference. Nothing huge for me but a difference.

Elcid
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
It takes about 8 sec right now for me to load the main index and about the same time to enter a section!

HTH,
Sandeep

cobaltblue
10-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Definately slower, and i have a brand new computer....

Ryan
10-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Well, I'm afraid this is something that we'll have to live with. I'm not going to remove vBSEO after spending $150 on it. A lot of forums use it and I don't notice any major difference.

I don't think the new template here is really anymore graphical than the old one. The buttons, the gradients, the backgrounds... they were all used on the old format as well. The only difference is that I've changed colors and icons, it's still the same number of graphics and such.

brewmaster15
10-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I Have to be Honest here... I haven't noticed a thing different and I have 2 old lap tops here... I am on cable.

Sandeep...
It's been slow on mine because I have an old 1GHZ Pentium based laptop with a slow video processor.
I am using 2 very old thinkpads... a model 600 E. w/ a 300 MHZ processor ( Thats in my fish room) and a model 600X w/ a 500 mhz Processor. (Thats our main family one).

I think its safe to say I am online quite a bit as well as everyone else. I like to think I be-bop around this forum quite a bit.:)

Do me a favor everyone ... just incase it is a graphic issue ..... dump your browsers cache... I do that everytime I run a spyware scan...If this new software is slowing things down... that may be helpful.

I am sorry to hear that theres some issues... Ryan and I will of course try to trouble shoot them..but like he said... This software we have installed should not be causing a slow down, and its important to Ryan and I that we use it.

Its odd that neither he nor I have noticed it... I have been using both IE and Firefox browsers as well.

hth,
al

oodi
10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
It's working fine here too.

Judi
:)

CAGE-RATTLER
10-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I definately dont think its a graphical issue at all and im on a pretty updated gaming rig with a pretty powerful video card.

It very well could be because of the re-directs.

I noticed a little while back when after replying to a post that if i hit the back button to go back to my NEW POSTS page ............. I would have to hit back a few times to get there ............ and now i just hit it once to get back to the main page. Not sure if that change is whats affecting the slow down or not ............ just thought i would mention it.

Elcid
10-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey Al:

Hmm, you know right now the system seems to be running a lot more quickly maybe because it's so late and not many users are on? It's really hard to say where the bottleneck is. We could both have cable and you could be running fast and mine could be horribly slow, there are many local issues with the networks. I was just thinking it must be my machine because of my experience with upgrading AOL software.

thanks,
Sandeep

Ryan
10-04-2006, 01:17 AM
For those having issues, head over to http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum and browse around that forum for a while. You can do so without registering/logging in. See if you notice the same problems there. You can also visit Dan's site (http://www.gulfcoastdiscus.com) and Cary's site (http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com). See if those sites seem slow to you.

All the sites I mentioned are on the same server as SimplyDiscus. If those sites perform well for you, I can rule out server issues and also software issues (as SimplyCichlids is running the same new version of vBulletin). The only difference between SimplyCichlids and SimplyDiscus is that SimplyDiscus also has the vBSEO feature installed, which I suspect is why people are reporting slow page transitions.

Ryan

White Worm
10-04-2006, 01:43 AM
I did shoot over and jump around simplycichlids and it was quicker than jumping around here but you are only talking a couple seconds. i am using cable at home right now. there is a noticeable difference but its not like i have to wait 10 minutes. Couple a seconds is about it (the green load bar takes a little longer to load and it depends on where you jump to. If you are going from a thread to simply main page, it is a little more slower than any other jump. I didnt really even concern myself with it because it was so minor but some may just have different settings and local internet querks (sp?) There will always be growing pains :)

Ryan
10-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Like I touched on before, this new vBSEO program I'm using is basically a "Search Engine Optimization." It renames threads so that Google and other search engines have an easier time navigating our site and sorting search results.

It's hard to explain in simple terms, but basically when you click on a thread, it connects to the original page, then redirects you to the newly named page. So you're actually making two page jumps rather than one. Yes, this does take a couple extra seconds. Patience is a virtue :)

CAGE-RATTLER
10-04-2006, 01:55 AM
No problems at all with the other sights ........... they are all loading very quick.

I even did a double Defrag in the past couple hours and all sites are flying at the moment ..... but this one still hangs.

One thing i did notice .......... is when the other sights pages pops up ......... at the bottom you can see it load and the number of graphics loading too ...... but the page is already there.

But here now .......... the progress bar fills out and all graphics load ...... and then a delay and then the page pops up.

Thats got to be the re-direct i would think.

For what its worth .......... when doing google searches ........ ive seen links to this site many times and even on the front page.

Kindredspirit
10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Patience is a virtue :)

I hate that saying ~ I have always hated that saying~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_4.gif

Timbo
10-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Patience is a virtue :)“Patience is the virtue of a donkey, who treads beneath his burden and complains not.”- George Granville

poconogal
10-04-2006, 07:29 AM
For those having issues, head over to http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum and browse around that forum for a while. You can do so without registering/logging in. See if you notice the same problems there. You can also visit Dan's site (http://www.gulfcoastdiscus.com) and Cary's site (http://www.greatlakesdiscus.com). See if those sites seem slow to you.

All the sites I mentioned are on the same server as SimplyDiscus. If those sites perform well for you, I can rule out server issues and also software issues (as SimplyCichlids is running the same new version of vBulletin). The only difference between SimplyCichlids and SimplyDiscus is that SimplyDiscus also has the vBSEO feature installed, which I suspect is why people are reporting slow page transitions.

Ryan
Ryan, I get lightening speed on Simply Cichlids and Dan's and Cary's sites were fast, also.

Connie

Jarrod
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Ryan and Al....I have had no problems here at all with anything being slow loading. After years and years of being on dial-up and finally getting dsl when it became available here it's like night and day. Everything on Simply loads very quickly for me.
George

Kindredspirit
10-04-2006, 11:56 AM
I have to agree with Jarrod! All is fast for me too ~ but there was a time that the loading blue bar wld take for.........EVER! And when I hit submit or preview....I wld just sit here.....for minutes! I have Broadband....so that shld not happen ~ And it only happened on Sd....no where else on line ~ Even when I went thru IE....so can't blame AOL on that one ~ lol!

Seems to me that when things do get slow I empty my IE internet pages/footprint thingy ...do a good deep scan and things are better!

But for now here....things are fast ~ the only issue I have is when I hit a thread I am at post #1....and No... I dont wanna read it all again:p But I think that is fading too Ryan....as it only is on a few threads now not all of them!

You are doing a great job! We love ya Man:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_223.gif

Jarrod
10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Like Marie I have noticed on the multiple page threads I can go thru them completely the first time and read every post and then leave it after reading them all and go back to the index and peruse the rest of the board and then go back to the thread I've completly read and get taken back to the very first post in the thread. I was going to PM Ryan or Al about this but now that it's been brought up in this thread maybe one of you can possibly shed some lite on this for us. And yes Marie I am in 100% agreement with you on the fact that BOTH of them are doing a fantastic job in keeping SD up and running!
George

Ryan
10-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Jarrod,

There is another thread here about that issue:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//site-feedback/53565-something-strange-settings-change.html

Unfortunately, it's a vBulletin software issue. It has always been a problem. It seems to have gotten worse with the new upgrades rather than better. I've got some ideas for a fix on that, but I'm going to have to do some more investigation first.

Ryan

Tony_S
10-05-2006, 07:27 AM
One of the things that threads like this make me think about, is how spoiled, impatient and rushed some aspects of society can and have become.

People 'expressing concern' because they have to wait 10 or 20 WHOLE EXTRA SECONDS!! SWEET JESUS....SECONDS people...SECONDS! The ATTROCITY of it all....

And the ones expressing concern because they have to actually CLICK on a link to view a picture....and THEN...as if that wasn't torture enough...they have to move the little arrow AAAAAaaaall the way to the top corner to CLOSE that window....well lemme tell ya!!

Life's just gettin' tougher and tougher these days...:D

Tony;)

Jarrod
10-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Ryan...to be honest it's not a major issue with me just something that I didn't know if it had been brought to your's and Al's attention is all. I do appreciate all the time you admins put in on keeping SD up and running! You guys are IMHO doing a superb job and regardless of any minor "glitches" that come up on various upgrades this is STILL the very best place to be for those of us that love our Discus and want nothing but the best for them in regards to the care and well being for them. So I guess what I'm really trying to say is on a scale of 1-10 I would be giving you both a 1,000! Thank you both Al and Ryan for all the hard work and desire that you both show us all on a daily basis.
George

poconogal
10-05-2006, 08:20 AM
One of the things that threads like this make me think about, is how spoiled, impatient and rushed some aspects of society can and have become.

People 'expressing concern' because they have to wait 10 or 20 WHOLE EXTRA SECONDS!! SWEET JESUS....SECONDS people...SECONDS! The ATTROCITY of it all....

And the ones expressing concern because they have to actually CLICK on a link to view a picture....and THEN...as if that wasn't torture enough...they have to move the little arrow AAAAAaaaall the way to the top corner to CLOSE that window....well lemme tell ya!!

Tony;)
When you work in NYC, every second counts! :D

CAGE-RATTLER
10-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Tony;)

When you log on and theres 2 pages of new posts to go through .......... that 10 - 20 seconds each click & sometimes more adds up to quite a bit of time waiting.

I personally pay $50 a month for my high speed access because i cant stand waiting although i mainly got it for gaming purposes but after seeing the difference in speed ........ i could never go back to dial up.

When the site is slow like it is now .......... I find myself skipping over quite a few threads that i would normally click on and read and comment on.

The pics arent an issue at all imo and load and close very quick.

And personally .......... Im not complaining .......... just offering my feedback to to the subject of this thread. Both Al & Ryan said they didnt notice the change so obviously they wouldnt of known there was a problem if we didnt give our feedback.

JMO

EDIT: For what its worth .......... when i just replied to this thread ... it took almost a full minute for my reply to load.

jeep
10-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I have no clue why some people are experiencing the slow-down, but right after the upgrade I was experiencing it as well. Sometimes Simply would not load at all, sometimes it would take over a minute.

I figured maybe my computer didn't like the change or something in the new software was conflicting with the cookies on my computer, or whatever..., so I ran Scandisk, disk clean-up, defrag, virus scan and every other maintenance scan I could do. It cleared up immediatly and I have no idea why...

Give it a try...

brewmaster15
10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
cage,
I have no idea why... My reply took ...seconds.

-al

brewmaster15
10-05-2006, 05:33 PM
4 seconds:confused:
sorry if its an inconvenience..and as I said.. Ryan and I will look into.

thanks all..
-al

Kindredspirit
10-05-2006, 06:31 PM
I have no clue why some people are experiencing the slow-down, but right after the upgrade I was experiencing it as well. Sometimes Simply would not load at all, sometimes it would take over a minute.

I figured maybe my computer didn't like the change or something in the new software was conflicting with the cookies on my computer, or whatever..., so I ran Scandisk, disk clean-up, defrag, virus scan and every other maintenance scan I could do. It cleared up immediatly and I have no idea why...

Give it a try...

I agree with Brian 100% here! It clears up on a dime after I run all my scans ~ Or if I get too annoyed cuz a thread is taking too long....I just log off and chill ...come back in a few:)

Marie ~ :angel:

Tony_S
10-05-2006, 06:47 PM
And personally .......... Im not complaining .......... just offering my feedback to to the subject of this thread. Both Al & Ryan said they didnt notice the change so obviously they wouldnt of known there was a problem if we didnt give our feedback.

Cage...chill dude...Notice the smile and the wink at the end of my post.:D ;)

It's just a shame that our lives are so busy anymore, that 20 seconds is in fact, and has to be in some cases, an issue.

My 71 year old Dad...who had never even been ON a computer until 4 or 5 years ago still thinks dial up is DA BOMB!!:D

Tony

Ryan
10-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, if you follow other threads in this section, you will always see that my first advice is to clear your internet history, do a hard refresh of the site, re-login, and try it that way.

Anytime I do a major upgrade, there is a change in the Javascript and the coding of this board. That could very well conflict with the old Javascript and such that is stored in your internet history.

I clear my internet history once a day here and at work, so give that a shot.

Ryan

CAGE-RATTLER
10-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Cage...chill dude...Notice the smile and the wink at the end of my post.:D ;)

Dude ......... I was and am CHILLED .......... Didnt realize my post sounded offensive at all?? Wasnt meant to be that way. And i dont have time to click on smilies ........ that would take an additional second :D

Ed13
10-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I have not noticed any significant slow down since the upgrade except to the point were I hit the submit reply button in a thread, major diff here and when looking for the extra smilies, still only a matter of seconds though.

tpl*co
10-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Somehow, in the past few hours the site has really, really slowed down for me to the point I couldn't open things for a while. I've tried going to other sites so my computer isn't an issue.

Tina

Kindredspirit
10-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Me too Tina! I couldnt get on for about 45min....thru IE either ....did all my my necessary steps when this happens...Once I got the strangest reply...It said to contact or email Simply Discus! lol!

But all is good now;)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

t_j
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
What happen to the site yesturday?:confused:

Ryan
10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Somehow, in the past few hours the site has really, really slowed down for me to the point I couldn't open things for a while. I've tried going to other sites so my computer isn't an issue.

Me too Tina! I couldnt get on for about 45min....thru IE either ....did all my my necessary steps when this happens...Once I got the strangest reply...It said to contact or email Simply Discus! lol!

What happen to the site yesturday?:confused:

These issues are unrelated to the "slow down" issue in this thread. It can be read about and discussed at this link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=53844