PDA

View Full Version : Glass Cleaning Fish

steve.ryall
10-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Ok guys,

Now most of us keep Plecos of some description, but who has found which one that really does an A1 job of cleaning the glass of your tank.

I do a 40% w/c every 4 days on my 90 gallon tank, and have to wipe down the gunk that resides on the glass. It looks like fine pieces of either food particals or algae, not exactly sure, but as you move past it, it will sway with the water movement. I want a fish to get rid of this for me...please help

Steve

pcsb23
10-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Hiya Steve,

I have tried many, I can't remember the name of the best one I found, we always used a common name (actually think it was the name my mum called it) but it was damned aggressive and when I tried one with discus, it went straight onto its side soooo..,. thats out.

Next best 've found is the Albino BN, don't know why but imo they are a tadge better than their duller brown cousins.

hth,

poconogal
10-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Steve,

I have 2 albino BNs who do an absolutely outstanding job on everything in the tank, the plants, airline tubing, heater cords etc., and yes, my glass was the first thing they cleaned. I wouldn't be without them, and I think they're really cute, besides being okay to keep with Discus.

In my community tank, I have only one. The tank had brown diatom algae and green algae covering everything. Within 2 weeks, it was sparkling.

Connie

steve.ryall
10-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Thats like the ones you have Paul, isn't it?

I did have a couple of normal lfs plecs back along, but they got to about 7" and started getting really agressive with my discus, so out they went. I have one small BN, a brown one, but might have to find some of the albinos somewhere.
Connie, Paul thinks the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

poconogal
10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
....Connie, Paul thinks the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Great minds think alike! :D :D :D

steve.ryall
10-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Welllllll..........:confused: :D ........ok, I'll :smash: myself.!

S~

poconogal
10-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Welllllll..........:confused: :D ........ok, I'll :smash: myself.!

S~
LOL LOL LOL :D :D :D LMAO - that's good Steve, just :smash: yourself and get it over with! :D :D :D LMAO

steve.ryall
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I though you would like that, good job Larry's not about!

S~

Ed13
10-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Most sturiosomas and farlowellas have done a good job on the glass in my case

poconogal
10-05-2006, 09:19 PM
I though you would like that, good job Larry's not about!

S~

Steve, I loved it! Have to hammer someone since Larry's not on!

soundtweakers
10-05-2006, 10:41 PM
I have kept oto cats and SAEs. They're always grazing on algae, but not so much on the glass cleaning.
I keep a planted tank with very strong lighting and I remember when I had only a few plants in there, I had to wipe down the glass "everyday"(what a pain). Now that my plants are taking off with some amazing growth, the glass stays crystal clear for weeks.

btw, the best and cheapest thing to clean the inside the glass is plain filter wool.

Ed13
10-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Most sturiosomas and farlowellas have done a good job on the glass in my case

Oops, I just realized this was for a discus tank:o , in that case these won't take too kindly to temps higher than 78f with low levels of dissolved oxygen. Yes I do realize that many have "successfully" kept them with discus, but it is not fare for the animal and most die in less than a year from the constant stress.

Your best option is still BN, but there are many other plecos that will do a decent job, it will only take more individuals to achieve the same results as the BN

steve.ryall
10-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys.

Steve

keno
10-06-2006, 08:43 AM
How many BN's do ye think would be needed to keep a 450l (120usgal) tank clean?

Also how would u go about cleaning them up, im a bit nervous about buying them from a lfs, who know what they will have been exposed to.

Algea in my tank grows very aggressivly, so i am in dire need of a solution. Thanks for any tips folks.

Ken

poconogal
10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
How many BN's do ye think would be needed to keep a 450l (120usgal) tank clean?

Also how would u go about cleaning them up, im a bit nervous about buying them from a lfs, who know what they will have been exposed to.

Algea in my tank grows very aggressivly, so i am in dire need of a solution. Thanks for any tips folks.

Ken

I have 2 in a 45 gallon tank and I've run out of algae for them to clean. Based on that, I would say 4-6 should do nicely. I got mine from an LFS, but it is a very good LFS and he had them for about 7 months. I put them in QT for 4 weeks more and just observed them. They were fine.

Connie

P.S. - I feed them algae wafers, etc.

wolfbane
10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I have 2 albino BNs in the rainbow tank (29 gal.) and 10 brown BNs in the discus tank (150 gal.). both tanks are sparkling clean as far as the glass is concerned. I also feed algae wafers and veggies.

Bainbridge Mike
10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
I have kept many types of plecos over the years, and the ancistrus are the best algae eaters I have found. I think 1 for every 10 to 15 gallons is about right. Instead of cleaning algae, you end up cleaning long stringy bushynose poop.

Mike

Apistomaster
10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
One trio of bushy noses will keep a 125 clean and soon batches of 40 to100 busynose fry will begin appearing so you will have to thin them out.
I find that Sturisomas are my favorite algae eaters for my only planted discus tank where I have 10 Heckels. I have Sturisoma nigirorostrum and they have been fine for over a year in 84dF water. My aquarium is well aereated. I have a huge wet/dry filter system, an Eheim 2217, a sponge filter run by a 200gph powerhead in venturi mode attached to a large sponge filter plus an airstone. The main pump for the wet/dry is a Mag-Drive 9.5 and is pushing 850gph through the tank per hour. I have 2 cu ft. of BioBale media in the wet/dry towers(DIY project).
Regular Farlowellas due not fair well at discus tank temperatures, unfortunately and they are just generally rather difficult to keep. Sturisomas are far more interesting and active and seem to be OK in the warm water. They are expensive but their hardiness and surreal appearance makes them worth it. I keep six in my Heckel tank and don't use bushy Noses and I have to run a magfloat algae remover on the front glass once a month. I do keep bushy Noses in other discus grow out tanks. I use baby BN'S with discus fry to help with overall clean up.
Hi Mike
Larry