PDA

View Full Version : Is laterite Necessary in a planted tank

IceDiscus
10-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I am starting a low tech planted tank and I was woundering if laterite was Necessary in a planted tank:confused: I don't know if the iron in it will affect my Discus. any help would be great.

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Laterite is not necessary. It can help with some plants, like swords, and it should not cause any harm to your discus.

IceDiscus
10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
:D Thanx, you see the thing is I am leaving the hobby I need to sell 4 wild blues, 1 pigon blood and 3 tanks but I dont want to get rid of all my fish I want to set up 1 nice planted tank that will hold 3 blue turqs, 1 wild green and 1 sunrise.

pcsb23
10-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Sorry your leaving the hobby, if it were me and depending on quality I would most likely keep the wilds.

GrillMaster
10-16-2006, 08:56 AM
In a low tank set up you can use almost any type of substrate. If you have sword plants you can supplement them with small root tabs. Just dont go ripping plants out of the substrate with root tabs under them. Open up a can a worms.

Soil master select is a nice looking cheap way to go for substrate. 50 lb bag for $11. Lesco sells it. Thats what I currently have in my tank.

Sand is also a good way to go.

If you were going to have a high tech tank I would consider Laterite, or substrate with nutrients in it.

Wahter
10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
You can also pot the plants - that way it's less of a mess if you need to move the plants out. I keep some plants potted in Flourite.

Walter