PDA

View Full Version : Guppies with Discus

CoKen
10-15-2006, 07:38 AM
hi Guys

are Guppies a good tank mate with Discuses? are Guppies's behavious friendly or attacking?

Guppies are very colourful, i hope i can keep some with my existing discuses :)

thanks for helps. thanks.

rgds
Ken

Lee C
10-15-2006, 08:47 AM
hi Guys

are Guppies a good tank mate with Discuses? are Guppies's behavious friendly or attacking?

Guppies are very colourful, i hope i can keep some with my existing discuses :)

thanks for helps. thanks.

rgds
Ken

The temperature parameters for adult guppies is 72 to 75F. They will have a shortened life span in typical discus water temps. and literally "burn out".
Most use tetras, for instance cardinals and rummynose.;)

Cosmo
10-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I Tried Guppies in my Discus tank a long long time ago and it didn't work out well at all. Probably the temp was a major factor, but the guppies wouldn't come out from behind the fake plants cause I think they were afraid of the Discus. Thought baby guppies would make good Discus food but they had any babies... too stressed out I think. Getting the darn things out of the tank was a major PITA cause the guppies can be pretty fast when they want to be and in a big tank there is no easy way without spooking the Discus.

IME
Jim

kdazzel
10-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I had a whole bunch of guppies in with discus, then they started disappearing. I don't know what happened but eventually they all disappeared into thin air;) ;) ;) ;)

kdazzel

CoKen
10-17-2006, 07:55 AM
thanks guys.

i know what to do now. i will get a small tank for Guppies.

rgds
Ken

swinters66
12-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Hmm I just added 4 guppies to my discus tank....lets see how they do. They seem to be swimming at the top of the water...are they top water fish? I cant tell really if my discus are affected by them...too busy with the bloodworms. Ill watch and see...

Lee C
12-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Stephanie,
I have had guppies survive with discus for about 6 to 8 weeks. They usually start to look sluggish, then it's downhill.
Life span for a guppy is about 1.5 years max. They usually peak at 7 to 9 months....these are the ones in the IFGA Guppy competitions.
Temperature for aduts, 74F and for babies/juvies, 78 to 80F.
That higher temp used in discus tanks keeps them extremely active!

Lee