PDA

View Full Version : What Are These Plants? Easy??

Kindredspirit
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey Guys ~ I just ret from my lfs to use up my whoppin $13-credit I have there...got four new Bumble Bees....

While I was paying there was this tank behind the counter and I got a picture cuz I fell in love with it! Of course the lady helping me didnt know what kind of plants they were....

I said no prob~

I have lots of friends who will know:D

This is a 20gal tank and way cool! I want to do this ~ Think even I cld pull this off?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

wolfbane
10-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Anubias foreground left, maybe Java fern right foreground. Both easy plants.

wolfbane
10-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Wait, I think its a green crypt on the right. Way easy.

Kindredspirit
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks Deb!! Don't you think that is so pretty? Simply yet way cool looking?

M~

tpl*co
10-18-2006, 06:03 PM
I don't know the background plant though.

Tina

marilyn1998
10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
The long spiral plant on the back left is a Contortion Val. Next to it, the biggest plant is either a Green Temple or Rotala Indica. I cant tell how wide those leaves really are. If they are wide, then it is the temple. If they are thinner, then the rotala.

Left front is an anubias barteri, I think. The two pots near the rocks are broad leaf chain swords. The right front is a java fern.

All of these plants require moderate light, a little bit of fertilization, no CO2 and will take discus temps. HOwever, they will grow better with a full fert regime and higher light.

You can go to www.aquariumplants.com and look them up. They are in categories Marie for the beginner, low tech, and discus keeper, too!

fishmama
10-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Looks as though there is a stick of bamboo in there (midddle of background)?

Lisa

lhforbes12
10-18-2006, 07:06 PM
The long spiral plant on the back left is a Contortion Val. Next to it, the biggest plant is either a Green Temple or Rotala Indica. I cant tell how wide those leaves really are. If they are wide, then it is the temple. If they are thinner, then the rotala.

Left front is an anubias barteri, I think. The two pots near the rocks are broad leaf chain swords. The right front is a jaca fern.

All of these plants require moderate light, a little bit of fertilization, no CO2 and will take discus temps. HOwever, they will grow better with a full fert regime and higher light.

You can go to www.aquariumplants.com (http://www.aquariumplants.com) and look them up. They are in categories Marie for the beginner, low tech, and discus keeper, too!

Holy carap! I've created a monster!. Marilyn has got it 100%, the Anubias technically is probably Anubuas bateri var barteri (there are LOTS of A barteri varieties) and the little plant behind the A barteri looks more like Sagittaria subulata to me, but I could very well be mistaken. All of the others are exactly what Marilyn said they were. All of them grow very fast, especially with CO2. I have a V. tortua (Contorsion Val) that was one plant two weeks ago and is now over 10 plants in a high CO2 tank.

marilyn1998
10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks Larry!!
You would be so surprised at my tank right now!!!! I have a few background plants coming then I will take some pics.

Of course, your E. Bleheri is the showcase mama plant in my tank!

It looks a lot more natural now, too and not as scaped.

Marie,
I have alot of those plants in my tank. I will post soon so you can see. :)

Ed13
10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I see corckscrew vallisneria, saggitaria subalata, lilaopsis, java fern, anubias barteri var, lucky bamboo and a stem plant
The stem plant has me confused since it looks underlit and screaming for potassium and iron, at first it looked to me like hygrophila polysperma, but it seems to have thin leaves:confused: , I'M not to sure

BTW, Marie something like this is very easy!

Timbo
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
wow you guys know your plants! dont know a thing about them myself, thinking about one maybe in 4 or 5 months for some of my older guys. gots lots to learn before then i think :)

lhforbes12
10-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Ed,
I thought there was a lileopsis novae-zealandae (correctly L. braziliensis) in there too, but I'm sure Marilyn is correct and it is Echinodorus tennelus instead, the leaves are too fat. And oh yeah, I forgot about the "lucky bamboo", the stem plant in the back right is green temple

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 01:51 AM
wow you guys know your plants! dont know a thing about them myself, thinking about one maybe in 4 or 5 months for some of my older guys. gots lots to learn before then i think :)

Ya Think? I cld not believe they knew all the names!! Well guys I want to do this tank just like the pic~

There are only like three or four dif types in there right guys? The ones that look like marijuana/tomato plant ... in the back...the plant with the most....I love that one!

And do you think someone cld like be more specific on each name and the plant in the pic? Like point arrows to the plant with the name?

Ed ~ you think it wld be easy? Larry I do not want to use C02...do I have too? And I do not have a very good light....I can not buy a new one either...wld it still be okay?

This is for my Goby tank guys ~

Also ~ cld I just buy all adult plants...lol! Instead of all small ones? I want the instant look ~ and then work on it to keep it that way ~ I do not want to start off with small baby plants...oh and I do not want to add any plant ferts either ~ not asking much am I?:)

Can I do this?? Dumb questions huh? Itz okay ~ no stranger to dumb:p

Lisa ~ It does look like a bamboo doesnt it??

Thanks Guys!!

Marie ~

crazie.eddie
10-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I do not want to use C02...do I have too? And I do not have a very good light....I can not buy a new one either...wld it still be okay?

Marilyn kind of answered your questions already :D

I would like to add to her statement of "they will grow better with a full fert regime and higher light" by adding with the addition of CO2. Without adding CO2, fert regime, and higher lights they tend to grow more slowly.

tpl*co
10-19-2006, 08:20 AM
So you think the background plant is this one? Green Temple Narrow Hygro Corombosa?:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Green_Temple_Narrow_Hygro_Corombosa_p/bp033.htm

I don't think they have CO2 to that tank, but know they have power compacts on it so it is at least a medium light tank.

Tina

tpl*co
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
OK, I think I've found the background plant, (LOL, I've also seen the tank first hand, LOL)

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplantsb&1161314844

or Hygrophila sp. 'Angustifolia'

Can this plant take discus temps?

Tina

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Marilyn kind of answered your questions already :D

And your point is Eddie? LoL! She sure did and I missed that:( I was tired~

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
OK, I think I've found the background plant, (LOL, I've also seen the tank first hand, LOL)

Tina

Hey You ~ You know that elderly lady that works there Tina ...the one I told you about yesterday on the phone? Well, she said a little bit of the name of that tall plant in back....and it wasnt close to what you are saying it was....Frank had it last night but I forget......Your pics look like it tho~

When I get ready to do this ( in the year 2009 )....she did say they had all these plants ~

Also ~ You said "power compact"....I think ....is that a strong light or something? I see nothing extra or unusal on top of the tank....?

Pop in there on your lunch today....or not ~ Deb is coming over tonight she is a plant freak too:p

I am really excited about this Plant Project:D

marilyn1998
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Green temple, Hygrophila, water hedge.... all are basically the same plant. It is a very common plant. FAST grower, will take all kinds of conditions, but of course does best and grows fastest in its optimum condition.... medium light, ferts and CO2.

Watch out tho, with all those plants, if you dont add them all together and use at least Flourish and Excel.. (I have, not using, use like prime. pour in lid and dump in tank. I can send), you can get some algae on the leaves.

I take out the plants and clean them in the sink then replant. Very easy to do.

They all grow well with low-medium light, no CO2, and discus temps. They just grow slower is all.

wolfbane
10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I have what I was told is Hygrophilia Angustifolia, but it has much longer, narrow, grassy leaves on the stems, grows like crazy in my low tech discus tank.

lhforbes12
10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
I have what I was told is Hygrophilia Angustifolia, but it has much longer, narrow, grassy leaves on the stems, grows like crazy in my low tech discus tank.

Debbie,
Yep. Marilyn already had it correct. It's a plant I REALLY dislike btw, it grows WAY too fast for me :-/ H. corymbosa will take over a tank rapidly.

Marie,
They will all be fine without you adding any CO2 or upgrading your lights, I would probably add Excel but very little. They are all what is usually termed "Easy" plants. Actually they are all great beginner plants, that will grow if you do nothing more than not fuss with them overly much. Too bad you don't have a giant piece of driftwood to go with them...
q~ Hmmmmmmmmm Hmmmmmmmmm Hmmmm q~

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Too bad you don't have a giant piece of driftwood to go with them...

Oh Man...how low can you go??? That was so messed up Larry!! lol!

When you come out here next year you are coming to my house and sit right here in this chair and I am going to TEACH you how to use smileys:D

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Green temple, Hygrophila, water hedge.... all are basically the same plant. It is a very common plant. FAST grower, will take all kinds of conditions, but of course does best and grows fastest in its optimum condition.... medium light, ferts and CO2.

Watch out tho, with all those plants, if you dont add them all together and use at least Flourish and Excel.. (I have, not using, use like prime. pour in lid and dump in tank. I can send), you can get some algae on the leaves.

I take out the plants and clean them in the sink then replant. Very easy to do.

They all grow well with low-medium light, no CO2, and discus temps. They just grow slower is all.

Thanks Sis ~ I am glad you guys are all on the "darkside".....;)

pcsb23
10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh Man...how low can you go??? That was so messed up Larry!! lol!

When you come out here next year you are coming to my house and sit right here in this chair and I am going to TEACH you how to use smileys:D

Nooooooooooo don't do it! Run Larry, RUN!!!!

Marie, the force is strong on the darkside :bandana:

Tanks like the one you showed here are nice and easy, and take little maintenance, I've been re-working mine and its still WIP, here's a preview,

marilyn1998
10-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Paul,

I love your tank!! IT is planted, but not so much you cant see the fishies!!! I love it!

pcsb23
10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Paul,

I love your tank!! IT is planted, but not so much you cant see the fishies!!! I love it!

Thanks Marilyn, I have been re-working it as it got badly overgrown, I removed a crate full of plants and cuttings, mobed a few and added a few new ones, including some floaters, we'll see how it goes for a week or two...

Now all we need to do is get Marie on the darkside:bandana:

lhforbes12
10-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Nooooooooooo don't do it! Run Larry, RUN!!!!

Marie, the force is strong on the darkside :bandana:

Tanks like the one you showed here are nice and easy, and take little maintenance, I've been re-working mine and its still WIP, here's a preview,

Nice tank Paul Aren't you afraid of those E. bleheri strangling the fish, and maybe you too once they get bigger? What is the foreground plant? btw, don't think for an instant I missed the XP3 in the righthand corner Mr. Eheim!
Also, those browns appear to be sick to me, I think you need to send them to Grayslake, IL USA so I can mend them.

wolfbane
10-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Paul, is that water lettuce on the surface?
Larry, I trade my excess plants to the LFS for cories or any other livestock I want!
Marie, come join us on the Dark Side!!

Ed13
10-19-2006, 09:17 PM

Tina

Well I knew it was hygrophilia species. IF it is angustifolia it will outgrow large tanks in a hurry, I had to redo a 150 g right side because the owner grew tired of the plant taking over in less than a week. Yes the plant can take discus temps and higher! Develops a pretty flower too when grown emersed.

Unfortunately, from the pic it doesn't look like true angustifolia
Under water Hygrophila angustifolia has long narrow leaves which are grouped close together and has grass like features. Under water the stem or leaves never grow straight it is always bending towards the light since it grows very fast and sways with the current even though it has a relatively thick stem. Plants sold in the shops are normally cultivated above water, and have rounder leaves with larger gaps between them. The one in the pic doesn't fit the description of H. corymbosa var angustifolia
A closer pic might prove me wrong though
BTW, Marie everything is relative. The easy part will depend on equipment, care and experience, etc

lhforbes12
10-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Larry, I trade my excess plants to the LFS for cories or any other livestock I want!

Debbie,
Yep that is a good idea. I have an lfs here that will accept them for store credit, my only problem is they are mainly a SW store and don't really have anything I want <shrug> We have been sending them to a fair amount of people on here though ;) <------- To show Marie I know how to use a stupid Smiley, I just refuse to. :-p

wolfbane
10-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Larry, till I eradicate the duckweed, I can't share plants with friends, don't want to lose any friends over weeds!! Right now, there is not a speck to be seen, we'll see how good a job I did in a week or so. The LFS on the other hand, doesn't mind, they keep a few fish in the plant tanks to eat such hitchhikers I guess. My goldfish love the duckweed, so I throw it in the pond after a tank cleaning, yum-yum!!
Marie, sooner or later you know you will try a planted tank!! So just do it! There's people here with lots of experience to help, and easy plants are a great start.

pcsb23
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Nice tank Paul Aren't you afraid of those E. bleheri strangling the fish, and maybe you too once they get bigger?
Larry you should have seen them before I pruned them, removed a crate of leaves and plants!

What is the foreground plant?
E. Tenellus

btw, don't think for an instant I missed the XP3 in the righthand corner Mr. Eheim!
Reason I have it is it came with my 100 gal Rena tank that is in the lounge, but the xp3 is soooo noisy that I can here it when in bed, as the bedroom is above the lounge. My study is noisy anyways as I have my tank rack in there for now, but if it leaks one more time its history.... and then I'll replaceit with an Eheim classic :)

Also, those browns appear to be sick to me, I think you need to send them to Grayslake, IL USA so I can mend them.
hehe.

Yes I have water lettuce, Pistia Stratiotes and amazon frogbit, Limnobium laevigatum up there. Just trying something a bit different for me.

That helps offset costs.

Feel the force Marie, you know its calling you....

Kindredspirit
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate all responses~

traco
10-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate all responses~

That's it?!! No, "I've gone and picked up XXXX plants and am in the process of aquascaping"? Come on, you know you should give it a try and you have plenty of friends who have an excess of live plants. Or just get a couple from the LFS and start there.:D

tpl*co
10-21-2006, 10:49 PM
LOL, guess what I picked up today? A Hygrophila corymbosa "angustifolia", or at least it looks like it from the pictures I've seen (the clerk did say it was green temple or hygrophila and it has very narrow leaves). I also scored on a narrow leaf anubia and some kind of bunch plant they had floating since it escaped it's weights (may be ambulia? need to break out the books). I got them from one of your least favorite stores Marie, Petco. The one at the LFS might be Hygrophila corymbosa siamensis since it has wider leaves than the one I got?

I'll check out the conditions these need, the bunch plant may go in my shrimp tank :).

Tina

lhforbes12
10-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Believe it or not my local Petco used to have some nice plants. Truly stupid employees though. I had one moron boy who was bagging a large E. bleheri for me and the frickin idiot started to fold the plant to fit it in the bag! I came VERY close to grabbing the fool by the neck and asking him *** he thought he was doing?

tpl*co
10-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Believe it or not my local Petco used to have some nice plants. Truly stupid employees though. I had one moron boy who was bagging a large E. bleheri for me and the frickin idiot started to fold the plant to fit it in the bag! I came VERY close to grabbing the fool by the neck and asking him *** he thought he was doing?

Yes, they did have a nice tank of plants, only a few plants left in the tank besides the anacharis but I still scored. That anubia isn't one that is seen very often. The Petsmart near me used to have a tank with plants but they removed it and are getting those pre-packaged plants that are sold as aquatic but are really terestrial (and are mostly dead in those dixie cup like packages :().

Tina

wolfbane
10-22-2006, 03:12 PM
My Petco and PetsMart occasionally have a treasure hidden in the plant tanks. I have found marble sword, Windelov Java fern, and the occasional unusual Crypt. The emplyees rarely have knowledge about the plants, so you have to do your homework about them.

lhforbes12
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Debbie,
Yep! Exactly like here. I usually don't even bother going into the stores near me anymore though. I'd just as soon order over the internet and get what I want up front.

tpl*co
10-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, that LFS with the tank picture just had some of that plant for sale and I picked up a pot of it (the plants are in quarantine). There was still one pot left Marie :). It was indeed a hygrophila. So now I have one with very narrow leaves from Petco, and somewhat narrow leaves from the LFS. :).

Tina

GrillMaster
10-25-2006, 10:32 PM
NO LFS!!! Online plants!! Ya get more, better, bigger, an cheaper...:D

http://www.aquariumplants.com/ is an awsome source for plants! Definately worth a look.:thumbsup:

tpl*co
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
NO LFS!!! Online plants!! Ya get more, better, bigger, an cheaper...:D

http://www.aquariumplants.com/ is an awsome source for plants! Definately worth a look.:thumbsup:

But shipping :( ! Actually I got a steal at both petsmart (they were dismantling their plant tank, got them for $1) and the ones at petco cost me around $3.50 each or less since I had a coupon :). The one at the LFS did cost me more $6, but I figured the discounts I got from the others made up for it and the LFS plant is a fast grower (If I don't kill it first :p ) I also have a LFS close to me that I got some huge anubias for a nice price.

One time I ordered from aquariumplants.com, they came in really healthy and all, but they didn't label the plants!

LOL, I was on a mission to find some new plants anyways :).

Tina

lhforbes12
10-26-2006, 02:06 PM
One time I ordered from aquariumplants.com, they came in really healthy and all, but they didn't label the plants!

Tina

I have ordered from numerous places online. None of them label the darn plants :-/ Most of the time I can figure out what is what easily enough, but try ordering 10 different Crypts and get them without labels, it truly sucks. OTOH most LFS either have their plants unlabeled or mis-labeled anyway, at least the ones by me. I had one girl at the local PetsMart telling me all about a crypt she was trying to sell me, the only problem was it was an Echinodorus and all of the information she was giving me was incorrect LoL

tpl*co
10-26-2006, 02:46 PM
I have ordered from numerous places online. None of them label the darn plants :-/ Most of the time I can figure out what is what easily enough, but try ordering 10 different Crypts and get them without labels, it truly sucks. OTOH most LFS either have their plants unlabeled or mis-labeled anyway, at least the ones by me. I had one girl at the local PetsMart telling me all about a crypt she was trying to sell me, the only problem was it was an Echinodorus and all of the information she was giving me was incorrect LoL

I hear ya, When I ordered from them I had gotten 3 different kinds of lance leafed anubias, try to figure which one was which :confused:

Tina

GrillMaster
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I imagine if you orderd them online an asked them to label them they would. I dont think it would be an inconvienience for them, there in the keep customers happy biz.;)