PDA

View Full Version : Which others do you suggest I try to breed?

LizStreithorst
10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm wanting to raise Discus and companion fish. In the breeding room right now I have Pearl Gouramis, German Blue Rams, Bristlenose, and Angels. I think I'll get some more of the long finned Rosy Barbs like I had once. I know they prefer cooler temps, but mine did fine in the Discus tanks. They even bred in the high temps. I know another option is Cory's. What other Discus compatable fish might I consider trying to breed?

Kindredspirit
10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey Liz! I heard once that Betas are discus friendly? I think I got some pics of a few Betas yesterday but I am not sure if that is what they are ....consensus is still out:)

If they are tho ....very pretty!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

I will take some Rams;)

TRAKURT
10-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Sterbai cory cats.

pcsb23
10-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Corydoras Adolfi and Sterbai

JeffreyRichard
10-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Corydoras Adolfi and Sterbai

Any luck breeing Adolfi? I have a nice breeding colony of Sterbai, but never had success with the Adolfi ...

pcsb23
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Any luck breeing Adolfi? I have a nice breeding colony of Sterbai, but never had success with the Adolfi ...

No Jeff I haven't.

LizStreithorst
10-20-2006, 05:15 PM
Thank you gentlemen.

lhforbes12
10-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Liz,
Not sure whether you want them to sell or merely to add to your collection but mikrogeophagus altispinosa are a good discus companion and are hardier than rams, although not as pretty IMO. Also you might want to contact Bill Egan as he has some very beautiful long finned rams (I'm trying to get them to raise a spawn successfully as I type this) that are HUGE (these babies are at least 3 1/2" TL) and at a great price too! I didn't know pearl gouramis made good discus companions, but I bet they would look good together.

fishmama
10-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Liz-

Just giving a thumbs up for mik. alts. (bolivian ram). They have been spawning in my tank and are just beautiful. Take a look at my pics of them under "community" if I remember correctly, click on my link. They are so, so friendly and always at the front of the tank to greet you.

Lisa

PS: I have had great luck with asian glass cats, but they have not been bred in captivity. They love beefheart, tetrabits, etc. And they are nocturnal in wild, have adapted to daylight feedings.

Ed13
10-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm wanting to raise Discus and companion fish. In the breeding room right now I have Pearl Gouramis, German Blue Rams, Bristlenose, and Angels. I think I'll get some more of the long finned Rosy Barbs like I had once. I know they prefer cooler temps, but mine did fine in the Discus tanks. They even bred in the high temps. I know another option is Cory's. What other Discus compatable fish might I consider trying to breed?

I've bred Rosy barbs, glass rosy barbs and long finned no problem in vats outside were the temps reaches the 90s
Without knowing the availability in your are or the size of the tanks, I'll just mention the ones I like or have had spawned or not before, so:
Apistograma cacatuoides
A. panduro
A. macmasteri
Bolivian rams
Blue rams, long fin, german, gold, veil

Corydoras elegans
C trilineatus
C julii
panda
sterbai
aneus reg, albino, gold, green stripe
C melanistus

Panaque maccus
L-134
L-260
L-333
L-204
BN
Spotted BN
peckoltia vittata

Green flame tetra
Rosy barbs
Guppy

The ones in red rank higher on my list

LizStreithorst
10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Liz,
Not sure whether you want them to sell or merely to add to your collection but mikrogeophagus altispinosa are a good discus companion and are hardier than rams, although not as pretty IMO. Also you might want to contact Bill Egan as he has some very beautiful long finned rams (I'm trying to get them to raise a spawn successfully as I type this) that are HUGE (these babies are at least 3 1/2" TL) and at a great price too! I didn't know pearl gouramis made good discus companions, but I bet they would look good together.

Actually, I am looking for marketable fish. Here's a pic of one of my male Pearls. I think I have some nice ones. Since both the Discus and The Pearl Gouramis are peaceful, like high temps, and have long pelvics, I find them to be excellent together. I WILL contact Bill about the long finned rams! I'll also check out the mikrogeophagus altispinosa. Thanks so much for the info!!!

Lisa I'll look at the asian glass cats as well. I dont' need to breed and sell everything I have. Some are just cool to have and enjoy.

Thanks so much everyone.

Ed13
10-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Actually, I am looking for marketable fish.
In this case rams are your best option, followed by other dwarfs, then corys, and the plecs mostly for fun.

Pearl of leeri are really good option and yours look awesome!

LizStreithorst
10-21-2006, 12:03 AM
I've bred Rosy barbs, glass rosy barbs and long finned no problem in vats outside were the temps reaches the 90s
Without knowing the availability in your are or the size of the tanks, I'll just mention the ones I like or have had spawned or not before, so:
Apistograma cacatuoides
A. panduro
A. macmasteri
Bolivian rams
Blue rams, long fin, german, gold, veil

Corydoras elegans
C trilineatus
C julii
panda
sterbai
aneus reg, albino, gold, green stripe
C melanistus

Panaque maccus
L-134
L-260
L-333
L-204
BN
Spotted BN
peckoltia vittata

Green flame tetra
Rosy barbs
Guppy

The ones in red rank higher on my list

OMG, My cup runneth over. I'll check your guys out in the morning, Ed. Right now it's off to bed for me. Thanks!