PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Tetra Info

JeffreyRichard
10-19-2006, 04:02 PM
OK, I read the recent thread on the quest to keep Cardinals alive. I will relay some info a knowledgable and successful importer friend has pasted on to me ... and a bit of my own experience.

My buddy imports a lot (thousands) of cardinals annually that he sells to pet shops. I've purchased several dozen from him. He has high success with the fish he sells to LFS.

One of the biggest problems with cardinals bought at a LFS is that they die soon after the purchase. This is also a problem with the LFS ... they loose many cardinals from each purchase from the wholesaler. The cause? Usually it's that the cardinals are way too stressed and not feed properly once they are shipped to the US. Over the course of several days to several weeks, cardinals are collected, brought to a transhipper in SA, shipped to an importer in the US, sold to a wholesaler, sold to a retail LFS, then finally sold to the customer. RARELY are cardinals acclimated and given a chance to recover ... clean water and food. So, once the customer gets the fish, they are extremely stressed ... and the results are predicatable.

What my friend does is simple ... he imports them from the transhipper and the holds them for several weeks, giving them lots of clean water and FOOD, in the form of live baby brine shrimp. He swears by the BBS as the key ingrediant to getting the cardinals back to health.

Obviously, this is not a cheap and quick process. However, given that cardinals are extremely inexpensive to import, 50% losses are not devistating for the wholesaler if they can offer healthy fish to their customer.

So ... what this means is that the consumer needs to know how the seller is acclimating and prepairing the fish. You should ask the LFS if they are doing anything special and if they know if the wholesaler is holding the fish and preping them at all. Otherwise expect losses when you buy them.

My advice would be to QT your new cardinals using BBS to get them healthy.

Incidently, I have cardinals that are over 3 years old ... addressing a point that someone posted about the fish being short-lived.

Jeff

billeagan
10-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Jeff,

Great post. I never thought about BBS for the cards...

pcsb23
10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Jeff, excellent info, thanks.

I have cards around 2 and a bit years... still going strong!

samcatj
11-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Hey Jeff

How about more information on how your friend imports the cardinals from the transhipper. That sounds really interesting.

Samcatj

AquaticRay
11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Cardinals can live for 10 years or more. In the 70s this was normal. The last three years lucky to keep them alive a week.

Can you have you friend contact me. I am in the aquarium business and can fax my business license to him. If I can get healthy ones, I would love to.

thanks,
Ray

jpfelix
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
i'd like some contact info also. our store could certainly use a healthy source for sa fish.

Bainbridge Mike
11-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I have had the best luck keeping cardinals in my angelfish tanks. I have a couple that have survived 3 years and about 10 that have survived 2 years. My guess is that the cardinals have better longevity at 80-82 degrees as opposed to 85+.

Mike

Harriett
11-30-2006, 06:28 PM
I have cards in my planted tank that I put in about 5 years ago. I started with 2 dozen and have about 15 left of those. I just got another 2 dozen from Bill Eagan a month ago and only lost 2 or 3 of those--I now have a decent sized school again and am really enjoying them! I keep this discus tank at about 82-83 degrees.

Best regards
Harriett

Alight
12-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Yes, the bbs is a very good thing to do.

I got 20 from Fosters and Smiths 2 years ago. Fed them bbs once they arrived, and all survived for more than a year.

Now at three years, still have more than 12 left. Some did have Neon disease, which didn't who up until later, and eventually killed a few after the first year. The rest look pretty healthy.

JeffreyRichard
12-05-2006, 06:32 PM
I will forward the requests to my friend ... however, he is in MA, and probably wouldn't want to ship. His business is local pet stores. But Ill check