PDA

View Full Version : green spots

CoKen
10-23-2006, 06:12 AM
hi Guys

i notice there are lots of green spot built up on the side surface of my 44 gallons water tank.

i have 7 small discus in this tank, two small amazon sword plant and a driftwood with another plant grow on it. i add 5 mil plant food when i do a 25% water change everyday.

i also have a 9 watts UV steriliser installed in the outlet of the canister. these green spots were not present before the UV steriliser was installed. i thought UV steriliser will treat those algae stuff, not sure if these green spot are sort of algae the like.

could you pls let me know why there are green spots and how to get rid of them? thank you for your advise.

rgds
Ken

GrillMaster
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Called green spot algae...Pretty comon in any tank. GSA will form if your phosphates get low. Over feeding is a great phosphate resource if it doesnt get cleaned up.

I usually just scrape it off with a razor every couple a weeks at water changes. It will also occur if your tank is gettin direct sunlight. Nothing to be overly concerned about. My tank is in directy sunlight, so I deal with it the same way. Just take a razor an scrape it off.