PDA

View Full Version : Holy smokes !!!! I got Eggs from my Rams

tpastrana
10-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I can't believe it!!! I was just about to go to bed when I see my Rams in the corner of the tank in the wide open. They were cleaning the gravel in one area and all the sudden I see the Female laying eggs:) :) Right in front of my own eyes. They picked a weird spot. I had put a clay pot in the tank for them to hide in and they decided to use the complete opposite side of the tank in the corner completely wide open . She kept swimming in circles with the male following her in circles. It looks like hundreds of tiny little flesh colored eggs. What the heck is gonna happen now?? Are my discus going to eat them? Or will my clown loaches maybe?? Or will they just die? I need to do my water change tomorrow. I have to tell you it was amazing to see !!

Teresa

poconogal
10-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Teresa, that's great! It is just wonderful to see - a slice of nature in a box! Rams are feisty little fish. I'm sure you've seen pics from Marie of her Rams fighting off the Discus from their area and eggs! They certainly won't let others just come on over to eat them. Keep us posted!

GrillMaster
10-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Congrats Teresa!!

I guess what happens is gonna happen, but ya gotta luv the fact that ya witnessed it first hand!

Now me..... I would be watchin 24/7 an have a big stick! any Discus come near the spawn would get a thrashin!! (hope ya dont honestly believe that)

I might stick a divider in the tank though, section of thier 1/4 of the tank...

Kindredspirit
10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
I'm sure you've seen pics from Marie of her Rams fighting off the Discus from their area and eggs! They certainly won't let others just come on over to eat them. Keep us posted!

That is great Tereasa! At least yours are flesh colored ~ mine were like large grains of salt so I was told they died or fungus sat in?

It was still way cool to see! Those lil Rams wld attack my hand during wc too! It felt so strange!

Take some pics?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

pcsb23
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
It is great to watch. I suspect that they will become loach food (if not already) but at least you know they are a possible pair.

poconogal
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Teresa, are these the Rams from Mathias?

tpastrana
10-31-2006, 07:32 PM
That is great Tereasa! At least yours are flesh colored ~ mine were like large grains of salt so I was told they died or fungus sat in?

It was still way cool to see! Those lil Rams wld attack my hand during wc too! It felt so strange!

Take some pics?

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_1_18.gif

Thanks Marie!!!
It is funny you should say that they attacked your hand while doing a water change. Mine were going wild when I was doing a water change, attacking the Discus, the vacuem, they went for my hand. It freaked me out, kind of scared me. They were crazy mad. LOL. The clown loaches ate them. So we will see next time if I can get some pics.

tpastrana
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
It is great to watch. I suspect that they will become loach food (if not already) but at least you know they are a possible pair.

Hi Paul,

Nice to hear form you, The loaches did eat the eggs:mad: It is because of you & Larry sticking it out with me that this was even possible. My Stendker also layed eggs in front of me this weekend:D .Unbelievable weekend for me. This was the first time I ever seen either in front of my own eyes. None of the other Discus were even interested in her. The Blue Turq & Spotted leopard were bapping each other trying to eat her eggs. The leopard won that battle, it ate everyone. I guess it would be safe to say my water is ok for breeding????

Teresa

tpastrana
10-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Congrats Teresa!!

I guess what happens is gonna happen, but ya gotta luv the fact that ya witnessed it first hand!

Now me..... I would be watchin 24/7 an have a big stick! any Discus come near the spawn would get a thrashin!! (hope ya dont honestly believe that)

I might stick a divider in the tank though, section of thier 1/4 of the tank...

Hi bastalker,
Nice to meet you, Funny you should say that, I thought about getting the
big stick:). Right after my Rams laid eggs, the next day my stendker laid eggs
right next to where the rams laid there eggs. It was insane to see that. I
wasn't expecting all the eggs this weekend. I think maybe I will seperate them if it happens again.

tpastrana
10-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Teresa, are these the Rams from Mathias?

Connie,
Yes, they are from Mathias. I should send him a e-mail and let him know.;)
Specially since I have the first Rams he let leave the nest.

pcsb23
11-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Its almost inevitable in a community tank that the eggs become a tasty snack. The danger now is that you will want to raise some fry, be it rams or discus, which means more and more tanks... definitely a slippery road, but great fun :D

tpastrana
11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Its almost inevitable in a community tank that the eggs become a tasty snack. The danger now is that you will want to raise some fry, be it rams or discus, which means more and more tanks... definitely a slippery road, but great fun :D

Hey Paul,
You are so right!!!!!I just bought a 90 gallon to put in place of the 55 gallon. That leaves me with, 55 gallon,46 gallon, 39 gallon,& 2 twenty gallons. My plan was to sell the 55 & 46. Keep the 39,& 2 twenties. Now that this happened in my tank,I actually have thought about trying to raise little babies;) & where could I find room to do this. This is insane:rolleyes2: See I
talked myself into getting the 90 gallon, only if I get rid of the 55 & 46 to re coop some of the expenses back . You & I both know, we alway's think of some way to justify it staying or why we need it. There has got to be some kind Discus AA around.. LOL LOL. What do you think??

pcsb23
11-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Paul,
You are so right!!!!!I just bought a 90 gallon to put in place of the 55 gallon. That leaves me with, 55 gallon,46 gallon, 39 gallon,& 2 twenty gallons. My plan was to sell the 55 & 46. Keep the 39,& 2 twenties. Now that this happened in my tank,I actually have thought about trying to raise little babies;) & where could I find room to do this. This is insane:rolleyes2: See I
talked myself into getting the 90 gallon, only if I get rid of the 55 & 46 to re coop some of the expenses back . You & I both know, we alway's think of some way to justify it staying or why we need it. There has got to be some kind Discus AA around.. LOL LOL. What do you think??

I think its too late and we are all beyond help :D