PDA

View Full Version : control those Tetra Bits

discusdave
10-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Everyone,
One problem I have with the larger cans of Tetra Bits is overfeeding when I try to shake just enough in the tanks at feeding time. I don't mean to OD them on food, but sometimes my control is not that good.

So here is something I just did that solves this problem. I took an 11/64 inch drill bit and drilled holes into the top of a can of Tetra Bits. Make sure you turn the lid upside down and use a scrap piece of wood as a backer. Otherwise you can crack the lid quite easily. I did it.

Now just a few come out with a shake of the can. I have much better portion control now, even better than grabbing some with the fingers.

If you are concerned about leaving the lid open to the air, a piece of plastic over the top secured by a rubber band around the can solve that.

Pics are self-explanantory.

Regards,

Timbo
10-28-2006, 05:10 PM
hi dave

interesting solution :) i just got a 10oz can of them (up till now, i've only been feeding mine my beefheart/shrimp/assorted-other-kitchen-scraps-mixture and bloodworms)

do you pre-soak your bits?
do they go stale exposed to the air?

thx!
Tim

Wahter
10-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I just pour the color/ tetra bits out into the lid and then sprinkle that amount into the tank (or the cup if I want to soak them). If I pour too much into the lid, I just pour it back into the container.

discusdave
10-29-2006, 12:21 AM
hi dave

interesting solution :) i just got a 10oz can of them (up till now, i've only been feeding mine my beefheart/shrimp/assorted-other-kitchen-scraps-mixture and bloodworms)

do you pre-soak your bits?
do they go stale exposed to the air?

thx!
Tim

I don't pre soak the bits. I only use hydro sponges, so they don't go anywhere.

disvegas
10-29-2006, 12:23 AM
I just use a plastic spoon and scope the whatever amount I need to feed the fish. It's the easiest thing to do.

Collin,

discusdave
10-29-2006, 12:25 AM
I just pour the color/ tetra bits out into the lid and then sprinkle that amount into the tank (or the cup if I want to soak them). If I pour too much into the lid, I just pour it back into the container.

See, I have a rack system that would necessitate me standing on a step up to hand feed the fish tetra bits, along with opening the glass tops. With this I can reach up and open the lid and just shake it in. Easier in my situation. I have dumped some large amounts in my top tanks by accident before. The top tier of 75 gallon holding tanks is the problem area.

CAGE-RATTLER
10-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I just dump some in a smaller container and refill when needed.

cowchick
10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Is there something wrong with me? I just stick my fingers in and pull some out! Am I missing something here I should know?:confused:

traco
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
See, I pre-soak mine so two things. I don't have to worry about dumping too much in and I don't have to worry about bloating.

Do the majority of people pre-soak? Better safe than sorry, I'm thinking? Or am I creating an unnecessary step here?

Timbo
10-30-2006, 11:08 PM
i pre-soak too... and for the reason you mentioned traco. it seems to me the bits expand in volume quite a bit with the addition of moisture (and in the fishes stomach is NOT the place you want it to expand too much) i dont think its "usually" a prob unless one fish eats ALOT, but why take the chance. :)

GrillMaster
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I use the tetra color granuals. They are larger than the color bits. They might just fit through the holes ya have drilled in the cap Dave. They dont expand that I can see anyways, an they love em.

I also have the color bits, but just use them in the planted tank. I should pre soak them, but I dont feed enough of them to really warrant that NOW.

I lost 2 nice congo tetras awhile back not pre-soaking the bits. They were just a lil bit to greedy, an bloated really bad. Brew warned me too!! :rolleyes: Since then I just use a minimal amount if at all. I just use the granuals now.

I just toss a pinch in whenever I am passin the tank, an they are gone in about 15 seconds. These are thier snacks 4-5 times a day.

discusdave
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I used the above Tetra Bits drilled lid for a while, but it was a hassle keeping the can in a zip-loc to keep it fresh. Then I looked at a container of Kraft Parmesan cheese and that was it, hehehe!

Use one of those. Has a flip top for pouring or shaking. Perfect for Tetra Bits, and keeps it fresh. I didn't have any old cheese containers to sacrifice, so I found these at the Container Store. $1.99 each. Any place that sells kitchen stuff would have them, I guess. Got one for the German and one for the Asian side of the holding facility.

Bainbridge Mike
01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Is there something wrong with me? I just stick my fingers in and pull some out! Am I missing something here I should know?:confused:

:confused: I do the same thing--but then my wife complains that my hands smell like fish food!

:D

Timbo
01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
my wife complains that my hands smell like fish food!

:Dtell her she should be glad you're not a proctologist

AFTICA
01-13-2007, 01:50 PM
tell her she should be glad you're not a proctologist

ROFLMAO - OMG - thats just too funny :jester:

Pat
01-13-2007, 11:02 PM
This is the solution that I came up with I use a container from dried blood worms. It is easy to control the flow as the top is adjustable and it was free since I had used all the dried blood worms. Pat

Darren's Discus
01-15-2007, 12:11 AM
My discus never really like the tetra bits on there own,I use them in my beefheart works well.

cheers

GrillMaster
01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
tell her she should be glad you're not a proctologist

That was pretty good!! :D :D

PARCS46
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi All: DiscusDevil here with another simple solution to overfeedig w/TB's! When you open the fresh TB's take a small very sharp scapel like blade (I use a #11 Exacto Hobby blade) and make a 1/4"x 1/4 pyrimid like cut in the seal from the edge outward, pull back or remove your handiwork, then simply shake proper amount of food! When finshed feeding, just screw down the cap, your TB's are now resealed & will stay fresh untill finished! I've been doing this forever with all small sized dry food, works great with no chance of overfeeding, or accidents!

Hoping above info may be useful to all that struggle with accidental overfeedind when using small dry foods, I know I was quite frustrated with this problem in the past, untill this idea struck my mind many years ago!! Always happy to help if I can: Bill W. (DiscusDevil)

Harriett
03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Color Bits are one of my menu mainstays for the planted tank, but because of the brisk water surface movement, if I were to just sprinkle them in, they take off before the fish have their meal. SO, here's my method. I cut a slightly larger than pea sized hole in the foil cover under the plastic of the big color bits can, giving me a controlled pour. I took a worm feeder and burned some slightly larger holes in the bottom of the cone here and there. I control-pour the color bits into the worm feeder and the discus just suck them out from the enlarged holes...if they don't actively suck them out, the color bits pretty much stay put in the cone. The color bits do whatever swelling in the cone and the discus don't seem to over eat. They leisurely [or more excitedly] feed from the cone until it's empty. I hang the cone just above an open area of substrate so what does fall is not right in a plant and the 'grounds crew' has an easy time of scarfing up the rest. There is very little aggression over who eats first--they have it worked out, including the larger loaches. I've been doing it this way for years and am still satisfied. So easy.
Best regards,
Harriett

C_of_Discus
03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Colour Tetra Bits are colour enhancers in a can they are not that great for your fish I prefer Omega products