PDA

View Full Version : Altums with discus?

tpl*co
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Can it be done, has anybody mixed them? For those that have how did you quarantine the altums to make sure they didn't carry any bugs?

Tina

tpl*co
11-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Anybody?

Ed13
11-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Can it be done? Yes. Have I done it? No
But there is a somewhat known Japanese Aquascaper name Takashi Amano;) that has done it with a really impressive scape. Heckel + Colombian Altum plus festivum + vallisnerias+wood +Cardinals if I remember correctly

I would imagine that Q procedures would be the same as with discus

tpl*co
11-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Can it be done? Yes. Have I done it? No
But there is a somewhat known Japanese Aquascaper name Takashi Amano;) that has done it with a really impressive scape. Heckel + Colombian Altum plus festivum + vallisnerias+wood +Cardinals if I remember correctly

I would imagine that Q procedures would be the same as with discus

WOW, what was the size of that tank? The cichlids in that tank aren't small!

Tina

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi Tina,
I have had altums with Discus before.. I kept them with wild heckels for months.. and then with wild Browns and domestics. for close to 6 months with out issue.. I recently set them up in their own tank again.

Theres really no secret or special treatments or concerns there...

I treat all my fish as I do Discus...altums included....If you start with healthy stock ..the two should get along just fine...give them lots of room... In all the above cases...I had them in a 125 gal

My only suggestion is to grow the altums out for the first 6 months separate, as they tend to be fragile and prone to illness when initially imported.

Hth,
al

Ed13
11-01-2006, 01:15 PM
WOW, what was the size of that tank? The cichlids in that tank aren't small!

Tina

I don't remember exactly, but it was big!!! I'll see if I can get some info and pics! I'll have to get permission

tpl*co
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
What size quarantine tank will I need Al? Are there any meds I should use on them to get them cleaned up?

Tina

tpl*co
11-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't remember exactly, but it was big!!! I'll see if I can get some info and pics! I'll have to get permission

I'd love to see it!

Tina

traco
11-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Quarantine tank depends on how many altums you are putting in there, I'm thinking? How big/age are the altums themselves? Your tank will look so cool with the combo of those two.:)

tpl*co
11-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Quarantine tank depends on how many altums you are putting in there, I'm thinking? How big/age are the altums themselves? Your tank will look so cool with the combo of those two.:)

That's what I was thinking :). Perhaps keep my bluish colored discus and some altums in my large tank. The person I'm getting the altums from though only has bigger ones at the moment (around 3"), he sold out of the smaller ones. I was thinking 4-5 of them, but I only have a 30 gallon that I could use as a quarantine at the moment. (DH chomping at the bit for me dismantling my other tanks) a 30 could possibly pass though.

Tina