PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a 130 gal tank

jimmyle
11-23-2006, 11:00 AM
i have a 130 gallon tank that i am trying to prep for some discus but it used to house my arowana. i did a waterchange of about 80 percent and filled it back up. its been running for about 2 weeks now. i have 2 blue diamonds that are about 4 inches in a 30 gallon tank. one 2-3 inch snow white in a 10 gal qt tank. what should i do with the 130 gallon to better prep it? and also when would be a good time to start putting discus in the 130 gallon?

Elite Aquaria
11-23-2006, 11:15 AM
jimmyle,

Personally I am a clean freak...I always like to bleach my tanks when new fish come into them. Then if moving fish from a smaller tank to a bigger tank I take the filter media and some water from the small tank and use it in the new large tank. I just do not like to move fish into a seeded tank from other fish. But that is just me...

Dan

jimmyle
11-23-2006, 11:50 AM
yea i plan to use the sponge filter from teh 30 gallon in the new 130.
and should i add some peat to the tank to soften the water?

swinters66
11-23-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd get another sponge filter, but thats just me. That's 100 extra gallons of water you know?

I was going to use peat when I got my discus, but they are doing fine without it. I also don't want the water discolored from using the peat.

You could add some fish like neons or rasboras to help cycle the tank. Some bottom feeders too. I used water from one of my husbands fish tanks, and gravel from a tank we had taken down and a filter sponge, so it had all the bacteria I needed to get it going. Ran that for a few days with some cory cats and rasboras, did a 50% water change a few days after that and put my discus in that night. They settled in great and loved all the new room they had. I also had the water tested for PH also.

jimmyle
11-24-2006, 08:38 PM
i have a pleco in there from when my arowana used to be in it, i couldnt catch him. but any ideas on how i should do waterchanges for a 130 gal?
seems pretty hectic to do a 30 percent everyday. is there a faster way of doing it?

swinters66
11-27-2006, 11:53 PM
My husband has a python or whatever its called and he hooks it to the kitchen sink (he got the faucet attachment). Works great and fast too. A flip of the little switch takes the water out of your tank. Then he just adds treated water to the tank and he's done.

fishmama
11-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Hey Steph!

Now how the heck do you get your HUSBAND to do the WATER CHANGES!!!

I need to know your trick (or enticement.)

I am quite impressed!

Lisa

fishmama
11-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Jimmyle-

I wish I had your problem..."what to do with 130 gal tank?..."

Ohhhh, in my dreams!

Lisa

jimmyle
11-28-2006, 10:09 PM
hahah yea i am lucky to have that tank but since its so big do i have to do waterchanges everyday? wouldnt the waste in the water be spread out more and less deadly?

jimmyle
11-28-2006, 10:41 PM
and also should i leave the pleco in there to keep suck up some of the slime the discus leave or is that good for them?

swinters66
11-29-2006, 12:30 AM
LOL Lisa...well he has three of his own tanks....big ones...those are the water changes he does...he knows how weird and obsessive I am about my discus. He wont TOUCH that tank!! He'll help me clean the filters, but as far as the water and water changes...I'm on my own, which is fine with me :)

He thinks I don't have to do as many water changes as I do. But then again...he keeps aggressive south american and african cichlids. More hearty than my sweet, calm discus. It can become an ongoing debate.

Jimmy....on the pleco...if its your garden variety pleco than no...don't put him in the tank with discus. Stick with some good bottom feeders, and a pleco that won't get very large, and that won't attach itself to your discs and harm them.

fishmama
11-29-2006, 01:17 AM
HI All-

I have just spent the last 72 hrs lighting my house for the holidays. Crazy!

Steph-those ol' meanie african cichlids...they are so tough. Our precious discus are far superior!!! ;-) And my hubby thinks I should only do 1 WC per month LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He won't touch my tanks and I won't touch his guitars!!!

Jimmyle-BE CAREFUL about which pleco you choose. I thought I had a rather benign tankmate (rubberlip) and found him terrorizing the discus in the middle of the night. Caused a lot of stress and ensuing illness. Sterbai cory are awesome and BN pleco (I currently am QT'ing a clown pleco, but have no actual experience with discus interaction.)

HTH
Lisa

fishmama
11-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Jimmyle-

This may start a debate here but, I do not do daily water changes. After much trial and error, I have my changes down to every 4 days. I have large sub-adult and adult discus in a non-planted, gravel bottom, driftwood tank.

That being said, I do monitor the pH and keep it at about 6.5 which means as soon as it starts to drop I clean the XP3 canister filter and do an extensive gravel cleaning with WC.

I am sure it would be much, much easier if I had bare bottom but, I just don't want to sip a glass of wine, kick back and stare at that type of tank!

BTW, I feed a variety of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, beef heart and tetra color bits.

HTH
Lisa

jimmyle
11-29-2006, 02:46 AM
how much are you taking out for your waterchanges?

fishmama
11-29-2006, 09:49 AM
I take out about 70% or until the gravel has been thoroughly syphoned clean, whichever comes first.

Lisa

swinters66
11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
I do water changes every other day, and maybe change 20% of the water each time. AS long as I do that and keep up with the filters...my fish are fine with that. Other than a small problem with a lack of oxygen, I added an air stone and its back to normal!

Lisa, I just bought a clown pleco for my tank. Its a nice looking pleco, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good fit! Ive hardly seen him since I put him in the tank...but he's not chasing my discus like the oto was.

And I am like you...I prefer a tank with gravel. Doesnt take too much of my time vaccuuming it, so all is good! :)

jimmyle
11-30-2006, 12:22 AM
i just got a ton of equipment today and i hooked up my 130 gal. its got 2 aquaclear 110s a 300 watt rena heater and 2 hydro sponges. ill let it run for a while with the old filter and everything. thanks for all the help guys

ahmad
11-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi jimmyle

Nice to meet you here.

please clean good all the tank before put any Discus in the tank.

Using the same water for theirs Discus.

about water change , you can change 25 % every two 2 three days.

And do not forget the filter or strong filter because the tank is 130 G that mean not small tank.

thanks

Ahmad