PDA

View Full Version : Fish Dark (Lighting for a Planted Tank)

Riche_guy
11-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I was wondering if lighting can affect Discus colours? What would be the best ligthing?

poconogal
11-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Riche - Lighting can affect colors to an extent. I had a T12 Coralife Colormax bulb in my strip light. I just changed it to a T8 All-Glass Bulb (I think its a full spectrum) and what a difference. The T8, although less watts, is so much brighter. It has brightened the entire tank. The colors of the Discus are also much brighter and they sort of glow now, where with the T12 bulb, they were kind of drab looking.

Connie

Riche_guy
11-25-2006, 04:17 PM
My concern as well is that I have a planted tank.

poconogal
11-25-2006, 04:21 PM
My concern as well is that I have a planted tank.

A ha! All I have right now are low light plants, Anubias, and Moss Balls, which are high light loving, but I have lots of ambient room light so they are doing well. If you have a high tech tank then of course my little T8 won't be a help to you. :D Some of the plant gurus will be along soon, I'm sure - Larry, Paul, etc.

Alight
11-26-2006, 10:49 PM
The color of the light (K value) doesn't make much difference to the plants. How your Discus will look is another matter. That will depend on the type of Discus you have and your tastes.

I always suggest that when you are buying a new lighting system, or changing bulbs, that you try a bunch of different types of bulbs--

5000K, 6000K, 10,000K and see what you like best.

As to how much light (watts), I suspect you know the old rule for plants of different varieties--watts per gallon and all that.

Discus will do fine in both high light and low light conditions, so you can let the plants you want to grow (and the work you want to do) decide the wattage.

Riche_guy
11-26-2006, 11:00 PM
The color of the light (K value) doesn't make much difference to the plants. How your Discus will look is another matter. That will depend on the type of Discus you have and your tastes.

I always suggest that when you are buying a new lighting system, or changing bulbs, that you try a bunch of different types of bulbs--

5000K, 6000K, 10,000K and see what you like best.

As to how much light (watts), I suspect you know the old rule for plants of different varieties--watts per gallon and all that.

Discus will do fine in both high light and low light conditions, so you can let the plants you want to grow (and the work you want to do) decide the wattage.

Is there a light that works best for discus, or it more on preference?

Alight
11-27-2006, 01:15 AM
I find it's personal preference. The 5000-5600K lights really bring out the reds in red and orange Discus. The 6000K bulbs I find to be a bit too blue, but the bring out blues really well in blue Discus. the GE 10,000 have a nice balance, and many like them, but I find them to be too harsh.

I like to mix mostly 5000K bulbs with a single 6000K bulb in my 4 bulb setup.

If you can, find a place that will let you try one of each, and return the ones you don't want to use.

Riche_guy
11-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks! :)

GrillMaster
12-01-2006, 08:59 PM
I find it's personal preference. The 5000-5600K lights really bring out the reds in red and orange Discus. The 6000K bulbs I find to be a bit too blue, but the bring out blues really well in blue Discus. the GE 10,000 have a nice balance, and many like them, but I find them to be too harsh.

I like to mix mostly 5000K bulbs with a single 6000K bulb in my 4 bulb setup.

If you can, find a place that will let you try one of each, and return the ones you don't want to use.

I agree the lower kelvins will bring out the colors in Discus, but the 6700k's, an 10,000k's are a lil better for plants.

I have an aqua medic tek with 4- 10,000's in it. The plants love it, but the fish color is lacking a little bit. When it is time to replace some bulbs I will replace them with 2- 6700k's, an 2- 10,000k's...