PDA

View Full Version : can this be done?

tacks
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi I am new here andhave fallen for discus. I have a 90 gallon heavly planted tank with 5 angels as the main fish. My question is can I remove the angels, raise the temp. my ph is at 6.22, injected co-2 and try discus? I know I make it sound simple but I figure the educated ones here will se me on the right road. Yo have a great site here and I have had my tank up for 6 yrs. thanks to all who repley Ed

GrillMaster
11-25-2006, 11:58 PM
If you stick with 6-8 adult discus it should work out pretty good for you. Dont try growing juvies out in a planted tank, the growth will be stunted.

The growth will be stunted for the simple fact that 50% water changes cant be done daily. Ya cant do 50% WC's daily cause it will interfere with the plant ferts.

Definately a catch 22!

scolley
11-26-2006, 12:27 AM
My question is can I remove the angels, raise the temp. my ph is at 6.22, injected co-2 and try discus?
Ed - I'm new to discus, and you've got me beat on planted tank years too. But since you have the years in planted tanks, I'm gonna state the obvious to you - all plants can't tolerate "discus temps". So do your homework. I'd suggest Tropica as a great reference site for temp info.

My CO2 ppm crept up to almost 60 ppm this week. I'm not going to go into my stupidity now that let that happen, when I was trying to hold it close to 30. I'll just note that I had two spawnings this week in those conditions, so I would not sweat the CO2 too much.

As for water changes and fert dosing, just be aware that the discus, and/or their uneaten food, will contribute a lot to your N and P concentrations, so be ready to modify your schedule accordingly.

Good luck! And please let us know how it goes.

tacks
11-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Thank you Steve and Mystic Ct. for your helpful information. Have a great day Ed

Alight
11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Remember that Discus are much less tolerant of the bacteria that high nitrates and DOCs grow than Angel fish. Just because Angel fish did well in your tank does not mean that Discus will. This is the reason water changes need to be done. You don't need to do 50% changes every other day, if the Discus load is relatively light. However, you will need to do them every 3rd or 4th day or so.

In my experience (although some here have argued otherwise) Angel fish can carry parasites that can have a greater effect on Discus than they do on Angel Fish. Be prepared with the proper medications, just in case.

All that said, if you get adult Discus, you can probably do it.

pcsb23
11-27-2006, 10:40 AM
If you stick with 6-8 adult discus it should work out pretty good for you. Dont try growing juvies out in a planted tank, the growth will be stunted.

The growth will be stunted for the simple fact that 50% water changes cant be done daily. Ya cant do 50% WC's daily cause it will interfere with the plant ferts.

Definately a catch 22!

Good advice get adults. You CAN grow out discus in a planted tank been there and done it, but that was after many years experience with discus and even more with planted tanks. Easier to plat clouds.

Ed - I'm new to discus, and you've got me beat on planted tank years too. But since you have the years in planted tanks, I'm gonna state the obvious to you - all plants can't tolerate "discus temps". So do your homework. I'd suggest Tropica as a great reference site for temp info.

True they can't, and Tropica is a great site

My CO2 ppm crept up to almost 60 ppm this week. I'm not going to go into my stupidity now that let that happen, when I was trying to hold it close to 30. I'll just note that I had two spawnings this week in those conditions, so I would not sweat the CO2 too much.
Reducing the ph is one of the "tricks" used to induce spawning, not so sure running at 60ppm for a long time would be good, never tried it though so can''t say for sure. 35ppm is as high as I've knowingly gone. And as for stupidity well lets just say I've had more than my fair share :D

As for water changes and fert dosing, just be aware that the discus, and/or their uneaten food, will contribute a lot to your N and P concentrations, so be ready to modify your schedule accordingly.

Good luck! And please let us know how it goes.
Agree 100%

Remember that Discus are much less tolerant of the bacteria that high nitrates and DOCs grow than Angel fish. Just because Angel fish did well in your tank does not mean that Discus will. This is the reason water changes need to be done. You don't need to do 50% changes every other day, if the Discus load is relatively light. However, you will need to do them every 3rd or 4th day or so.

Agree 100%

In my experience (although some here have argued otherwise) Angel fish can carry parasites that can have a greater effect on Discus than they do on Angel Fish. Be prepared with the proper medications, just in case.

All that said, if you get adult Discus, you can probably do it.
A proper qt procedure should and does ime deal with this.

tacks
11-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the information but what do you people is adult size in a discus. How many in a 90 gallon planted tank? thanks again Ed

GrillMaster
11-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the information but what do you people is adult size in a discus. How many in a 90 gallon planted tank? thanks again Ed

6-8 discus in the 5"-6" range. They are pricey!! Thats why alot of people grow juvies in a BB, an the transplant them to planted show tanks after they have grown out...

If you have room get a cheap 55G an grow out your own (8-12). This will do 2 things. Allow you the privilege of growing out some great Discus, an also give you feel for the care they require.

If you can successfully grow out juvies in a BB, then I feel you wont have any problems putting 6-8 Discus you have grown out in your 90G.

The angel fish will be just fine till the Discus are grown out an you decide to replace them with the Discus. You can even get some cash back for the extra ones you have grown out.

Then if ya wind up with a pair, an they start spawning, I see this post going in a completely different direction!!!:D

tacks
11-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes you were going in a different direction,I just dont have the room,I do have a 29 gallonI could make bb but I wont be able to do much with that. I will have to bite the bullet and spend some money. I am guessing it is best to buy all the fish from one dealer. Picking out one good,honest,dealer may also be a problem. This is becoming a night mare. Side note I lived in Fairfied Ct. my whole life thanks again Ed

GrillMaster
11-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes you were going in a different direction,I just dont have the room,I do have a 29 gallonI could make bb but I wont be able to do much with that. I will have to bite the bullet and spend some money. I am guessing it is best to buy all the fish from one dealer. Picking out one good,honest,dealer may also be a problem. This is becoming a night mare. Side note I lived in Fairfied Ct. my whole life thanks again Ed

Well hello neighbor!!! You should really update your profile an include where ya live!! If ya had done that, the conversation wouldn't have gone where it went....

As far as picking out one honest dealer, well there is not one dishonest dealer on this forum!! They are all top notch!! I just have the privalege of living close to one of them.

You can definately check out the sponsors here, an see for yourself, they all have quality stock.

Alight
11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, best to buy all in a batch. Not sure where you live, but give a shout to be the peeps on this site. They may know who to get them from. Lacking that, buying by internet from some of the reputable people that those here can refer to you, and having them shipped will work just fine. I've not lost a single fish I've received or shipped that way.

You could actually grow out 6 Discus in a 29 to full size. I've done it, and it's really not that hard.

tacks
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi guys again I am glad for the more questions you ask the more you learn here. The grow out in the 29 is not a bad option butI do have a small business and3-5 feedings a day is tough. I am thinking as I know I will be spending a lot of money on fish I know very little about. Mr Mystic you live in a very pretty area. I will look at the dealers on this site and buy here. thanks again I live in sunny Fla. Ed

GrillMaster
11-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Read this thread tacks!!!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=53854

tacks
11-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Mystic that was a great thead, great tank and it answers a few more questions,. I am affraid that the discus will have too many places to hide in my tank as it is heavly planted but Jim did leave some room for swiming( may have to make a change in the tank). the thread did make up my mind and I will start looking for a dealer. You said 6-8 at 5or more inches. thanks for your time I hope your weather is still good. Ed PS Westport is right next toFairfield and my was a teacher in Westport

scolley
11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Side note I lived in Fairfied Ct. my whole life
Sorry you are not up here any more! We've got a pretty nice crew in the area. But we'll help at a distance if we can "neighbor".

As for the good, honest dealer - be sure to check the sponsor's links. I believe it's a pretty good crew. For myself, I'm thrilled with the fish and service I got from Dan V. at Gulf Coast Discus. But you do the research... there are clearly multiple excellent vendors in our sponsor section.

tacks
11-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks Steve and there are times I miss Fairfild but you cant beat Fla. weather. Steve I guess that was your planted tank thread that Mystic gave me to read. That is a great looking tank and when I saw that and after te read I have made up my mind to get 6-8, 5 inch discus. I may go with dave from Atla. ThoseStendler discus look great{ never spent that much for plants} keep in touch Ed Ps do you play golf?

scolley
11-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks Steve and there are times I miss Fairfild but you cant beat Fla. weather. Steve I guess that was your planted tank thread that Mystic gave me to read. That is a great looking tank and when I saw that and after te read I have made up my mind to get 6-8, 5 inch discus. I may go with dave from Atla. ThoseStendler discus look great{ never spent that much for plants} keep in touch Ed Ps do you play golf?

Thanks Ed. But you know the problem with threads like that don't you... people post their good pics! I've done some dumb things in the tank since then and it has a lot of GSA on the Anubias now. Looks good at 5 feet away IMO, but up close you can see I'm letting things slip. I'm struggling with the balance of sand, discus, food, nutrients and plant biomass. It's OK mind you, but it's not perfect yet. So a word to the wise... it ain't easy.

Then again, no guts - no glory.

I love those Stendler's, and Dave was very helpful to me when I was looking.

And I do get out to Longshore every once in a while. But I'm afraid I had to give up golf when I realized that I had a job, a family, and a life. ;) So now I just can't figure out how I got stupid enough to fall for this time-sink of a hobby. If I gave it up, getting in a quick 9 every once in a while would be a lot easier to schedule!

GrillMaster
12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Ed. But you know the problem with threads like that don't you... people post their good pics!

Steve you are definately one of the few that post the Good, Bad, an the ugly!:D