PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here and here is my discus plan.

Thomas79
11-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi, I'm new here and lately, I've been keep cichlids like convict and flowerhorn and is deciding to try discus. I'm currently still setting up my 65 gal tall planted tank with a ~20 to 30 gal wet/dry filter and plan to add co2 for the plants. I've been reading about discus and seems like they'll need very clean water. Once I'm done setting up the tank and everything runs well, I plan to add one breeding pair of discus and a few ram. With this set up, would it be ok if I do a 20 percent water change a week to keep the environment healthy for all plants and fishes? Let me know what you think and please give me some advise. Thanks.

dishpanhands
11-30-2006, 06:10 PM
adding co2 with a wet/dry filter is not a good way to go. can't keep the co2 up. the wet/dry will get rid of the co2.

Thomas79
11-30-2006, 06:14 PM
awww, that sucks, maybe I should keep low lighting plants like anubias. Thanks for the warning. Luckily I haven't set it up yet.

Harriett
11-30-2006, 06:18 PM
I was able to inject CO2 successfully (dumped my clunky CO2 reactor); I fed the CO2 line (after a bubble chamber inline) right into the pump in my sump--did it for years. I probably used CO2 a little faster than I do with a cannister filter, but no by much. My intake water was fed into a spray bar at the bottom of the tank and by the time the CO2 enriched water came to the surface of the tank, the gas was all but dissolved. Easy.

In terms of the water changes 20% weekly is going to be enough to keep the discus healthy. My personal regimen is 70-75% change weekly with very thorough vacuuming of substrate. Some folks do 2 x week of 50% or more.
Plants do just fine with 1-2 x week of >50% water changing--just feed back your fertilizers accordingly.
Best regards
Harriett

ahmad
11-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi To All

I think not good to combine the Discus fish with chicled fish in the same tank.
Because the Ph And Temperature is not same to both,

Thanks

Ahmad

White Worm
11-30-2006, 07:36 PM
, I plan to add one breeding pair of discus and a few ram. Thanks.
The way I read it, he is planning on just having discus and rams in the new tank. :)

Thomas79
11-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh yeah, I'm selling my old 60 gal tank along with the fishes and starting over with the new 65 gal.

ahmad
11-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Mikscus

Yes , you are true.

Ahmad

Alight
11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
I think Harriet meant that 20% weekly is
not going to be enough, and she is advocating at least 2 - 50% changes weekly.

Other than that, the advice was spot on.

I run my CO2 into the intake for my Aquaclear 110, and it chews up all of the CO2 and no large bubbles come out of the filter outflow. I use more CO2, probably, than with an inline reactor, but I have a 10 lb CO2 tank and only have to refill it twice a year. At $7 a refill, not a bad expense.

Thomas79
12-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh, eventhough the tank is understock with just a pair of discus and a pair of ram, I still have to do a 50 percent water change weekly?

ahmad
12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
If you can change 25 % of water every 2 to 3 days I guess that is better.

Ahmad

Apistomaster
12-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The advantages of a wet/dry filter in discus aquariums far outweighs the extra CO2 used. Even if you are only keeping a mated pair of discus in your 65 gallon tank try to change 50 % of the water twice a week. This promotes optimum conditions whether you choose to breed discus or just keep them for the joy of it.You have room for 6 discus should you grow your own pair which is what I recommend unless it's a friend that you are getting the mated pair from. Almost all mated pairs being sold are old or bad parents or else the owner would be keeping them.
The only thing this might be a bother is if you choose to use supplemental fertilizers because you are flushing them out as fast as they are going in. I strongly recommend the plastic plant grow time release fertilizer spikes for the planted discus aquarium. They last about a year and I place one under every major plant or every 6x6 inch area for the carpeting type of palnts like chain swords and Cryptocoryne species. this also takes care of the stemmed plants.
Larry