PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Tetras & Discus

Garyoutlaw
12-03-2006, 04:32 AM
I have a 55 that I plan to stock with 3 Discus and 20+ Neons a few cory cats but want to add a size upgrade to my Neons so thought about Columbian's - I have had some great looking fish when schooled up nice in my Angle tanks but wondered what the room feels about this introduction?

Marinemom
12-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Does anyone have an answer? This guy is new and not one person answered the thread. If I am not mistaken I believe that the colombians perfer cooler water. The warm water required for the discus probably is not a good idea for the colombians. How about a pair of rams? They will handle the water conditions better and are truly beautiful fish.

By the way, welcome to Simply Discus. This is a great forum.

Diane

Polar_Bear
12-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Hyphessobrycon columbianus is the fish you are referring to? I know nothing of this fish so I Googled it. From reading a few articles it appears to me that it most likely would make a fine discus tank mate. Temp is only slightly less and pH is right on the mark.

Timbo
12-23-2006, 08:39 AM
hi gary and welcome to Simply

for that 55, i'd consider getting a couple more discus than three. you have room for 5 or 6, and they will be more comfortable in a slightly larger group; they are naturally a shoaling type of fish, plus any aggression (and yes, you will have some aggression, they are cichlids:)) will be spread around. you'll also be more likely to have a pair form from 5 or 6 versus 3

cant help with the Columbian thing, no experience sorry

goheel
12-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Gary, are your neons getting eaten? I'm thinking about putting some neons in my discus tank also.

billeagan
12-23-2006, 12:22 PM
You should be fine... Blood fins are nice, cardinals, rosy ornate, head and tail light, silver dollar, congo's, pencil fish are fun, red phantoms, and a whole bunch of others.