PDA

View Full Version : Tankmate for small and big Discus

diamond_discus
12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I tried to read thru all these threads trying to find good suggestion for discus tankmate to clean the tanks .. but seems like everyone has different experience.

Well, have two tanks. One is for bigger discus of 4" or bigger. Another one is for fry growing, 1" to 3" ... What kind of tankmate fish can I get from local LFS like Petsmart ? I don't want anything that can grow to be too big.

Both of my tanks are bare tank with no drift wood or any other decoration. Just have a couple sponge filter. In other word, the tankmates would have no place to "hide".

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciate.

Polar_Bear
12-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Unless you forgot to mention that you have a QT tank I would stay away from adding fish, from any source.

architect1
12-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Um swords, rams, cardinals, amano shrip if they have hidding spaces, brisal nosed plecos and seas but watch out for there tendincy to eat slim of the discus u need a planted tank for the sea algea eaters.

Ryan
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Swords, rams, and cardinals will not clean tanks. I do not recommend SAE (Siamese Algae Eaters) for discus tanks.

Most people like the dwarf bristlenose plecos, but adding fish from any place (especially a big chain like Petsmart) is not a good idea unless you can quarantine the fish first.

Ryan

diamond_discus
12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
So where can I get some "dwarf bristlenose plecos", if not from LFS ?
I don't want any big one, 4" the most for my community tank. 2" - 3" for my baby fry tank.

AmberC
12-15-2006, 12:34 PM
I would say bristlenose plecos (ESP the longfin albinos!! SO pretty!) Or otocinclus cats.. otos.. they are very small and do WONDERS on algae IME. I have never had a prob with them and discus but I do know some have. (The whole slime coat thing)

Amb

diamond_discus
12-17-2006, 03:47 AM
I couldn't find any small size bristlenose plecos in any LFS ... What about snail ? I saw some nice looking golden, blue and even whitish snail a the LFS. Price is reasonable. Is it okay to use snail to clean the brown algae ? Do I need to QT them ? What should I do to QT the snail ?

AmberC
12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I couldn't find any small size bristlenose plecos in any LFS ... What about snail ? I saw some nice looking golden, blue and even whitish snail a the LFS. Price is reasonable. Is it okay to use snail to clean the brown algae ? Do I need to QT them ? What should I do to QT the snail ?

Did you see any of these:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/aquascape_pics/otocinclus2.jpg
They are usually very common. Otocinclus affinis. I'm telling you.. they are great on algae! :)

diamond_discus
12-17-2006, 01:47 PM
It looks like a common algae eater ... Before I raise discus, I use to have a couple of them, green/brownish and the golden type. However, they grew so fat and so big that looks like a big snake .. besides, they are kinda agressive as well (although they do clean the tank very well).

So, maybe the alternative is to use snail ? any suggestion on that ?

AmberC
12-17-2006, 02:51 PM
It looks like a common algae eater ... Before I raise discus, I use to have a couple of them, green/brownish and the golden type. However, they grew so fat and so big that looks like a big snake .. besides, they are kinda agressive as well (although they do clean the tank very well).

So, maybe the alternative is to use snail ? any suggestion on that ?

Sue.. it is not a common algae eater. Its an otocinclus affinus. Look em up. They are not aggressive and do not get any bigger than about 2 inches and are great on algae. But.. if you just dont like em.. thats all you have to say.

Here.. I'll even put a link for you.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile76.html

goheel
12-17-2006, 06:15 PM
What about neon tetras? I know that adult discus would eat them, but would they be compatible with small discus?

jpfelix
12-17-2006, 09:42 PM
pitbull plecos are also a good choice ime.

ymmv

diamond_discus
12-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Sue.. it is not a common algae eater. Its an otocinclus affinus. Look em up. They are not aggressive and do not get any bigger than about 2 inches and are great on algae. But.. if you just dont like em.. thats all you have to say.

Here.. I'll even put a link for you.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile76.html

I will like it in my tank if it's only 2" max size ... That will be perfect .. where can I get those ? I don't think I ever saw it in any LFS ?

AmberC
12-18-2006, 08:15 AM
I will like it in my tank if it's only 2" max size ... That will be perfect .. where can I get those ? I don't think I ever saw it in any LFS ?

They are generally at most lfs's. Ask the associates that work there about them. They are pretty common.

swinters66
12-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Well Ive had oto's...and had to remove them. One started going for the discus rather aggressively too. But others have kept them with their discus with no problems. I have a clown pleco. Nice looking pleco, I dont think it will get very large. I hardly see it though...likes to hide. But my wood pieces in the tank look pretty good thanks to him! He's a loner and doesnt bother any of the fish at all.

JeffreyRichard
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM

Ancistrus are fairly commonly bred fish ... check with your local fish club. I'm sure someone near you has some babies for sale. Also check Aquabid. You can usually pick a bunch of babies up fairly cheap.

Marinemom
12-27-2006, 03:17 AM
Otos are great little cleaners and are fairly common in most shops. Rarely do they bother the discus.

Diane