PDA

View Full Version : betta as tank mate for discus

FishLover888
12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Dose it work? I'm thinking of have one in the tank. It will be a nice addition. The problem is, I'm not sure it is OK with the discus.

kakes11
12-22-2006, 02:10 PM
It should be fine my dad had a betta in with his discus for about a year. The betta wouldnt mess with the bigger discus and would just puff up at the little ones but bettas are too slow to catch a discus if they tried.

poconogal
12-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi. Bettas are usually peaceful with other fish, outside of the males of their own species, but Discus water temps are too high for the Betta. Those high temps will result in the earlier death of the Betta.

IceDiscus
12-23-2006, 09:25 AM
:D It works I have male Bettas in 2 tanks and 1 female in my Planted tank and I have not had any problems.

milton
12-25-2006, 02:38 PM
I've had a male betta in a number of discus tanks over the years with no problems

FishLover888
12-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Hmmm.... I'm thinking of add one male betta into my current tank then. Of course, I will QT him for about 2 weeks.

Marinemom
12-27-2006, 03:21 AM
I would use caution with putting a betta in with discus only because they are not that tolerant of the higher temeratures that the discus require.

Diane

aquaticplantman
12-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I guess many others have been able to do it, but I once had a betta in with a non-discus tank which also contained a clown loach. The betta ignored all the other fish (guppies, tetras, and swordtails), but apparently thought that the larger colorful clown loach was some competition. He picked a fight with the clown loach and lost. I'm not sure if a discus would be able to defend itself as well if a betta decided to fight.

-- Matt H.

YSS
04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Did you end up getting the betta? I always liked betta so always had one sometimes two in my community tanks. However, they never lived long in my discus tank and I figured the high temperature was the culprit. So folks here have kept bettas longer than a year in a tank with temp set at 86F or higher?