PDA

View Full Version : Woke up to baby bushynose plecs!

tpl*co
12-22-2006, 01:32 PM
What a nice surprise from last week to wake up to! Luckily, I kept the longfin bushynoses in their own tank and didn't move them to the big tank (otherwise they would have been lost in last week's disaster too). This morning when I turned on the light I saw little albino bushynoses stuck to the sides of the tank! I don't know who the parents are since I have 4 bushies in that tank but it was a nice surprise to wake up to. I have an idea it was probably the albino mom though since my other female is a brown longfin and most of the babies I've seen are albino. Now, I wonder if the dad was the regular fin albino or the long fin albino? The regular fin was hiding more so it might have been him!

Now, do baby bushies eat the same as the adults? Should I put in something else for them?

Tina

White Worm
12-22-2006, 05:01 PM
How Many babies?

pcsb23
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Tina, I'm glad to see you've had some GOOD news for a chnage :D

mench
12-22-2006, 06:15 PM
They will eat the same things the parents eat....

Mench

Discus_KC
12-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Congrats Tina !!

Cucumber and Zuchini are tops on my list for the babies.

Jack

tpl*co
12-22-2006, 07:28 PM
LOL, haven't been able to make a definite head count, when I looked in on them they seem to have moved throughout the tank. It was definitely the regular finned male though. Saw him in the driftwood cave and would you believe it? He's guarding more eggs! Looks like a raspberry in there he's guarding. Maybe from my second female? I have 3 longfins and the regular albino that seems to be kicking them out :).

Tina

YellowClaw
12-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Verry cool Tina! That sounds so exciting!

White Worm
12-22-2006, 11:52 PM
At what age can some of them transfer to my tanks? :D

Kindredspirit
12-23-2006, 10:26 AM
and mine?

hazeldazel
12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
I have had several successful batches of BN babies grow to adulthood and here are a few tricks I use. I feed raw, frozen chunks of sweet potato (with skin on) as they are very nutritious compared to zucchini and takes much longer to foul the water. The babies can't eat as hard things as their parents can so while the parents can eat the defrosted sweet potato right away, the babies can eat it after it's been in the tank for a day (or blanch it for a minute). When the babies are swimming about with the yolk sack still attached, I put in a couple pieces of sweet potato using a clippy, placing it at the water line. Within the next day or so, the babies will aborb the yolk sack and the S.P. will be soft enough for them to eat. I've seen them just sit on the S.P for days 24/7 eating a swath through the S.P. The hard part about raising baby BNs is making sure they find enough to eat. After they get big enough to start swimming through the tank, I'll start dropping algae wafers for them to eat as well.