PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly fish and discus

unfamous
12-23-2006, 04:14 PM
i was wondering if a butterfly fish would be ok wiuthmy discus and angels in my 100 gallon tank because i want a top dwelling fish and hatchets wont do cuz both angels and discus ate them when i put them in

RoninGai
12-23-2006, 07:51 PM
u mean the african butterfly right? they look like crickets??? hhmmm i see them at my buddies shop they seem to just float around they look nice but i heard there pretty aggressive. feeding time with discus my cause some issues....imo

unfamous
12-24-2006, 12:59 AM
i was talking about the african butterfly fish. unless someone knows of another top dwelling fish i still wanna pursue this one

RoninGai
12-24-2006, 02:19 AM
that's what i was implying too there brown and look like crickets.

there predator fish and being on the top means they'll eat and be more agressive when feeding time comes than discus. there surface dwelling and they shouldn't bother the discus below just have a good sealing lid cause they do jump.

hth

Wahter
12-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Several owners of the butterfly fish (Pantodon buchholzi) have posted comments on keeping their fish here http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_pantodon.php (I didn't go through the comments to see if anyone had kept them with discus before).

fishmama
12-24-2006, 11:53 PM
I have 3 butterflyfish in my rainbow and angelfish community tank. They are the last to get any food as the rainbows steal all their crickets. The food has to float right by them in a rather particular angle in order for them to see it. They are very neat fish, but be sure to keep the top of the aquarium tightly closed as they will jump out. I have had mine jump out several times just opening the lid to feed them. They have been docile in my tank and as a matter of fact their delicate trailing pectoral fins are sometimes nibbled on by the angelfish and the pearl gourami.