PDA

View Full Version : Organic Adsorption Resin?

tacks
12-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Has anyone ever used or is using this product? It is used in place of carbon and is supposed to make water sparkle but it does remove nitrates for those with planted tanks of which I am one. thanks Ed

Apistomaster
12-25-2006, 01:42 PM
I have been using SeaChem Purigen in my planted discus tank for about 2 years and although it is difficult to be scientific about it it seems to improve the water quality. I base this mainly on how well the discus(10 Heckels) act and look. Of course I still stick with my water changing routine which is 75% ever 3 days. Heckels are very quick to show there displeasure with poor water quality by turning dark and being less outoing.
I bought a PhosBan Reactor and cut some fine filter pads to contain the small resin beads. It is obvious that it adsorbs much from the water because it turns from white to dark brown in about two weeks. I have enough on hand that I can replace the exhausted resin with fresh recharged Purigen. It seems to be able to recharge to like new condtion. My plants do well. Most are Swordplants and Cryptocoryne species.
I have an oversized DIY Wet/Dry filter and I have installed Tees and a inline ball valve to control the diverted flow of clean return water through the reactor which then just discharges into the sump.
SeaChem claims that Purigen does selectively remove nitrates.

tacks
12-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your repley, I have only had it in my tank for a few days and hard to tell about its affect thanks Ed

Apistomaster
01-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi,
The effect the stuff has is subtle and difficult to quantify. What I have noticed , and this is a subjective observation, is the fish seem to stay perkier similar to the way they do after a water change.
The other thing I have noticed is that in breeding Corydoras and common bushynoses is that if they haven't spawned for me using water and temperature changes is that they often spawn within 48 hours after adding the Purigen to an outside filter or a old fashioned box filter. Could be coincidental or it could be that it actually does raise the redox potential as advertised. That is similar to the effect of rainfall in nature which has often been implicated in stimulating these fish into breeding. At least it give one another "trick" up one's sleeve.
Larry

Polar_Bear
01-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I used to use Purigen on all of my tanks, but really saw no difference in the BB tanks which get at least 50% a day water changes. However, in my 125 heavily planted tank I do still use Purigen with a wc schedule exactly like Larry's. I find that the discus just seem "happier" between wc's now, and show far less stress than they used to even though I was doing at least 50% every other day before the Purigen. It's easy to recharge, but being so tiny, is also easy for it to escape into the tank. I find I need to put it into at most a 200 micron bag in order for it to stay where I want it (in the bag). I do recommend it though.

tacks
01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
I have mine in a 300 micron bag and in a planted tank and the clarity of the water is great. I wouldguess in a discus tank with so many water changes you would not needthis product. thanks Ed