PDA

View Full Version : BN PLecos?

White Worm
12-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Do they keep the tank clean of planaria also? I have them because I do overfeed :( They just will not go away. I keep the tank clean but alot of food equals alot of waste and If I dont vac it every day, I know I am just contributing to the planaria. With BN's will they help the problem? I know I need to cut back on the food but I like to make sure my discus are fat and happy and since planaria are harmless, they are not the priority except that they are an eye sore :mad:

Elite Aquaria
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I would feed less Miksucs. I am sure you overfeed because you want your fish to reach their max potential growth. But by overfeeding, your water quality will suffer. IMO water quality is more important than food. Although I agree food is very important, I have found that water is a greater factor.

Dan

poconogal
12-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Mike, why not get some Corydoras? They'll keep the tank bottom nice and clean of excess food.

White Worm
12-28-2006, 03:34 AM
I would like them also to take care of some minor brown algae that builds up also. I have also started to lay off the food a little.

poconogal
12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I would like them also to take care of some minor brown algae that builds up also. I have also started to lay off the food a little.

Mike, the BNs will take care of the brown for sure, but I've never seen mine eating the discus food off the bottom. My cory takes care of that. BTW, even when I was lightly feeding only once a day, I still had brown algae all over the place. Why don't you get one or two BNs and a couple of cories?

White Worm
12-28-2006, 05:35 PM
I think that is my plan. I dont have any cleaners and no matter how clean the tank is and how often the water is changed, I will always get something that needs to be taken care of by cleaners. I dont have any big problems but just little eye sores when you want to have some spotless tanks. 85g Tank with 10 or so discus and a 29g breeder tank. How many of what per tank?
The planaria is starting to get bad and I usually clean the glass weekly after a little build up of algae. I know that I could w/c 100% daily but I just dont have time. They get 50% every other day.

traco
12-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Cutting back on feeding and getting some cories will help a lot. I've got cories, plecos and have no problems with crud. Everyone has their role in the tank.:)

White Worm
12-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi Barb, yep, I have been just relying on water changes and wipe downs but it will eventually catch up to you. Since my time is limited more these days, I think it is time to rely on some of those tank janitors. I figure 2 of each in the 85g and 1 each in the breeder tank? More?.... less?

poconogal
12-28-2006, 10:44 PM
I think that is my plan. I dont have any cleaners and no matter how clean the tank is and how often the water is changed, I will always get something that needs to be taken care of by cleaners. I dont have any big problems but just little eye sores when you want to have some spotless tanks. 85g Tank with 10 or so discus and a 29g breeder tank. How many of what per tank?
The planaria is starting to get bad and I usually clean the glass weekly after a little build up of algae. I know that I could w/c 100% daily but I just dont have time. They get 50% every other day.
Mike, for the 85, I'd get at least 3 BNs and 3-4 cories. I have 2 BNs in my 75 and 1 in my 20.

traco
12-29-2006, 12:23 AM
The cories like the "grouping" thing, same as discus. Even 3 would do fine, I think, for the cories. I've got 7 cories, and 2 BN plecos in my 90 gallon.

mench
12-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Mike,when you were over for your vist did you see how clean my tanks were??? I have NEVER wiped the inside of my tanks since I started using the BN plecos.My plecos eat what ever I feed the discus...
I would cut back on the amt. of food you feed.And you saw how many plecos I have..stop over and I will hook ya up with some,albinos,browns,longfins,whatever ya want.

Mench