PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Diatom filter. How do you store it after cleaning is done?

HOCATKA
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Hello!

I just got Vortex Diatom filter and happy with the job it has done, but instructions are absolutely horrible and I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the filter after I am done cleaning the water. Instructions just saying "switch it off.

I am planning to run it once a week and don't really want to leave all those hoses in my tank. Is it okay to store it filled with water? What about water in the hoses? How do you keep your diatom filter between cleaning?

Thank you!

White Worm
12-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Oil your Diatom motor every three to four months of normal use with part P-30 Lubricant
When filter is not in use, clean thoroughly and store in dry condition. (Otherwise entrapped particles will cause bacteria explosion and offensive odor.)
* After each time the unit is disassembled relubricate the rubber "O"-ring part XL-9 with Vaseling or silicone grease for a better seal.
The filter bag and plastic parts can be cleaned with a mild bleach solution of one part bleach to ten parts water, to remove any slime deposits collected during use. Rinse with fresh water then allow the parts to completely dry before storing
Your filter bag should not be scrubbed or machine washed as it will destroy the polyester fabric woven layer that restrains the Diatom powder

Found this info on the internet, hope it helps.

Polar_Bear
12-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I have both the D-1 and XL models of the Vortex diatom filters. I simply store them both with water in them. In my case I simply put the intake and output tube in a basement sink (if you allow the hoses to sit flat they will syphon all of the water out of the filter). I've never had a problem doing it this way and have used a Vortex for over thirty years.

HOCATKA
12-29-2006, 04:19 PM
If I'll keep it dry that means I would need new powder each time?

It says in the manual that 3 cups of powder are needed to charge, but thats pretty much the volume of powder that came with it.

korbi_doc
12-29-2006, 10:09 PM
:D Like Polar Bear, I've used Vortex filters for yrs....yes, if dry, you need new powder each time....If I'm using it often, couple times a week, I leave it filled, hook output & input hoses together & store it in a 5 gal bucket to keep water in it...if less often or when it's been used couple times &/or dirty, I recharge it without taking it apart...when it needs taking it apart, clean it as Mike suggests, use vaseline on the O ring & good to go......I've only ever used just 1 cup of powder to recharge & have never read that (3 cups), JMO, Dottie ;)

Cosmo
12-29-2006, 10:29 PM
The 3 cups are what is recommended for the big one Dottie.. the XL. IMO it's too much as not all of it spreads around the bag. If memory serves me correctly, 1 cup is for the regular sized unit. Whereas I love the job they do polishing the water, they're too much of a PITA for me :( Maybe because I break mine down after each use and let dry... don't like the idea of a stray "something" sitting in the water too long, and kind of reminds me of taking a bath in the same bath water over and over again... ewwwww :p LOL

Can we say "cross contamination" :confused: if used on more than one tank with the same charge :confused: :confused:

I have an XL that I think I've used 3 times... no matter how long I prime it I still get a thin layer of powder on the bottom of the BB tanks :angry: I've used it mostly to clean up after meds, so I add a couple tablespoons of the Vortex powdered carbon and it does an amazing job.

For daily polishing I use the Magnum with the micron filter.... not quite as good, but soooooo much easier to clean and swap the cartridges :)

Jim

Polar_Bear
12-29-2006, 11:18 PM
The 3 cups are what is recommended for the big one Dottie.. the XL. IMO it's too much as not all of it spreads around the bag. If memory serves me correctly, 1 cup is for the regular sized unit. Whereas I love the job they do polishing the water, they're too much of a PITA for me :( Maybe because I break mine down after each use and let dry... don't like the idea of a stray "something" sitting in the water too long, and kind of reminds me of taking a bath in the same bath water over and over again... ewwwww :p LOL

Can we say "cross contamination" :confused: if used on more than one tank with the same charge :confused: :confused:

I have an XL that I think I've used 3 times... no matter how long I prime it I still get a thin layer of powder on the bottom of the BB tanks :angry: I've used it mostly to clean up after meds, so I add a couple tablespoons of the Vortex powdered carbon and it does an amazing job.

For daily polishing I use the Magnum with the micron filter.... not quite as good, but soooooo much easier to clean and swap the cartridges :)

Jim

As Jim said, the D-1 uses one cup and the XL uses three cups of diatomaceous earth. I use 1 cup in the D-1 and 3 cups in the XL. As far as "things" being spread from tank to tank... uhhhh it's a FILTER, its made to filter to 1 micron... As far as the PITA part, well... it is a major PITA, but not so bad once you get used to it.
<aside to Jim> When you come over remind me and I'll show you how to avoid getting diatom powder anywhere but in the filter

korbi_doc
12-30-2006, 11:23 PM
:) I didn't think 'bout the XL for the 3 cups, lol....had one once, didn't last & I never got another, like the regular size & have no problem with the 1 cup each cleaning....here's the plastic plant holder I use inside the tank, with both hoses in with water, then charge with the powder, just drop the holder down off the input & output hoses & it's a go....very easy & no powder gets in the tank! (You know, if it does, it's not a problem & will be picked up again by the filter) I got the plant holder (vase) from a grocery store that has flowers, lol.....Dottie ;)

Harriett
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Larry you wanna show me as well? I can pretty much keep the diatom in the filter but I cannot keep the whole process from being a total PITA. I also broke it down after each use, I don't like the potential for bacterial explosion in the canister. I shelved mine...it makes my blood pressure go up.
Harriett

Polar_Bear
01-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Larry you wanna show me as well? I can pretty much keep the diatom in the filter but I cannot keep the whole process from being a total PITA. I also broke it down after each use, I don't like the potential for bacterial explosion in the canister. I shelved mine...it makes my blood pressure go up.
Harriett

Good! That means you can give me yours then, and I don't even need to bother showing you just how easy they can sometimes be (they can still be a major PITA at times for no apparent reason, which would almost certainly be when I'm showing you how easy it is). But that's OK, you missed seeing the 75's on Sunday <grin> (Actually I'll probably kidnap you and Joe on the 14th anyway, and make you watch me acclimate my new fish)

<----------- Evil bear

froody
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
eerrrrrr....the blurb for the XL is for continuous use , is this not so ? ...confuddled

Harriett
01-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Good! That means you can give me yours then, and I don't even need to bother showing you just how easy they can sometimes be (they can still be a major PITA at times for no apparent reason, which would almost certainly be when I'm showing you how easy it is). But that's OK, you missed seeing the 75's on Sunday <grin> (Actually I'll probably kidnap you and Joe on the 14th anyway, and make you watch me acclimate my new fish)

<----------- Evil bear

Ya want it? there's a tear in the bag so you'd need to replace that but otherwise, you can have it on permanent loan until I think of a reason to want it back [unlikely]. In terms of the 'kidnap' note [now we're going to be on an FBI watch list, smarta$$], there are worse fates.
your good friend,
H

Cosmo
01-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Froody... don't remember the blurb, but don't think I'd want to use one on a continuous basis... the motors get HOT and they eat a lot of electricity. Plus, eventually it would plug up and stop letting water through. lol

Larry, I fill mine with a 5 gal bucket so the earth doesn't go anywhere but in the filter... well, almost no where else... LOL. After I move it to the tank I use ball valves to circulate the water around and around to reattach the earth to the filter bag, but some always seems to get out into the tank anyway once I open it up :( Dotties method would probably avoid that, but then I'd have to go out and buy a plastic plant holder :(

Jim

Polar_Bear
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Froody... don't remember the blurb, but don't think I'd want to use one on a continuous basis... the motors get HOT and they eat a lot of electricity. Plus, eventually it would plug up and stop letting water through. lol

Larry, I fill mine with a 5 gal bucket so the earth doesn't go anywhere but in the filter... well, almost no where else... LOL. After I move it to the tank I use ball valves to circulate the water around and around to reattach the earth to the filter bag, but some always seems to get out into the tank anyway once I open it up :( Dotties method would probably avoid that, but then I'd have to go out and buy a plastic plant holder :(

Jim

Jim,
Actually Dottie's method is more or less exactly the way I do it too, I just use a large mug instead of the plant holder thingie, but I like hers better (mine is made of glass and freaks me out).

Dottie,
Where did you get your plant holder?