PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a surface skimmer (planted tank people)

RoninGai
12-29-2006, 10:47 PM
i bought a surface skimmer to attach to my canister the adjustments aren't set up properly now there is an excess of air/water going into the canister and the outcoming mixture every 5mins or so is a bubble/water jet stream. i've adjusted the skimmer where it barely takes any water from the top and hopefully this will aleviate that problem. anyone else use a surface skimmer? sorry this is a 2nd post i didn't explain myself correctly on the 1st one.

Harriett
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
When I changed from a wet/dry system to an FX5, life got alot easier except for the loss of surface skimming in the overflow box. Now I am in the same boat as you with attempts to surface skim without losing my CO2 to the agitation of a surface spray bar or something. Would someone who has dealt with this give us some feedback here please? Many thanks. (Joe, I still have that design you talked me through at Larrys but I can't use a prefilter with it and so that keeps it out of the running for the 180.)
Best regards
Harriett

spinnerbayt
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I have been using one on my canister for about 6 or 8 months and it just takes a little playing and adjustment to get it set right. Hang in there and you'll find its sweet spot. If its sucking air then just back off a little till its not.

Harriett
01-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Roningai
What surface skimmer did you get?
Thanks
Harriett

Polar_Bear
01-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Roningai
What surface skimmer did you get?
Thanks
Harriett

Just put the damn wet/dry back on the 180. Oh... and give me the FX5

RoninGai
01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the response i figured out what cause the "cavitation" as it's called in the tank. btw: i bought a skimmer made by TOMS. it was only $11.00at the lfs. i bought it because i was looking at his planted tank setup and was in awe at the clear surface. the adjustment must be perfect in that you must turn the knob clockwise until you see the top of the skimmer barely taking any water down, so basically it looks like the top is floating just barely beneath the water surface. ( back off on the skimmer adjustment knob if you see a vortex of water being taken from the top this will create the cavitation and all these bubbles from the spray bar will come out). after about 30mins of toying around with the adjustment knob and looking at the spraybar to see if it will return bubbles i looked at the skimmer to see that it was taking in water from the surface but not at such crazy amount,then i never heard the caviation sound the chruning from the filter.

hth

Harriett
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Just put the damn wet/dry back on the 180. Oh... and give me the FX5

I am simply in the process of fine tuning my equipment [admittedly a life long project] in order to maximize the potential for ultimate satisfaction of my hobby, Larry Forbes, so back off before [or after] I thwack you.
your friend
Harriett

Cosmo
01-04-2007, 06:45 PM
OMG Harriett... you gave away Polar Bears secret identity :shocked2:

Polar_Bear
01-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I am simply in the process of fine tuning my equipment [admittedly a life long project] in order to maximize the potential for ultimate satisfaction of my hobby, Larry Forbes, so back off before [or after] I thwack you.
your friend
Harriett

Uhhhhhh... does that mean I get the FX5, or not?

Harriett
01-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Larry,
think...think...think about it. done? no.
H