PDA

View Full Version : Snail eggs ?

diamond_discus
01-02-2007, 01:47 AM
I brought a pair of golden mystery snail for my discus community tank two weeks ago .. Yesterday, I found out that there seems to something like snail eggs being attached to the side wall of my tank, above the water line (see attached picture).

Can anyone confirm that it is indeed snail egg ? How would I raise them ? Since it's above water level, I was afraid that it will dry up, so I remove them to a 10 gallon tank, along with my one month old frys. Is that okay ?

brewmaster15
01-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Those look very similar to applesnail eggs ... which I know lay their eggs above the water.. baby snails know which way to go. I have not raised those...but I have seen the apple snail eggs in the wild.
-al

heres link to a pic of apple snail eggs..

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/mollusks/applesnails/snaileggs3.jpg

diamond_discus
01-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Ooops .. I just found out from internet article that we should never keep those eggs under water (this will drown the embryos). Well, I didn't know that and transferred the eggs to a 10 gallon tank .. and that sank to the bottom of the tank. Oh well ...

diamond_discus
01-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Well, when I did my water change last night, I saw another two snail egg batch at both corner of my tank ..above the water line .. I am going to leave it like that for a couple weeks and see if anything would hatch.

But if the tiny snail comes out .. would the discus fish eat them ? Will it cause any bloating because they can't digest them ?