PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf BN plecos ?

diamond_discus
01-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I like to get some dwarf BN plecos ? But how big can that get ? I don't want them to grow bigger than about 4" ... Is there such species available ? and we can I get it, especially here local at Los Angeles area ? I brought a couple corys which does seems to clean up the excess food .. but I still have brown algae ...

hazeldazel
01-08-2007, 02:41 AM
BN plecos only grow to 4-5" and they grow very slowly.

diamond_discus
01-08-2007, 04:17 AM
I can't find any availabe at local LFS ...

Bainbridge Mike
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
That is surprising. BN plecos are fairly common. Try asking for them by the name "Ancistrus." There are several cats in the ancistrus family that would work. Most fish stores bring in new stock on a weekly basis--so ask your local fish store if they can bring some in for you. If you need to mail order, try angelsplus.com (I have purchased a lot of healthy albino bushynose from them) or liveaquaria.com.

Good luck.

diamond_discus
01-08-2007, 03:02 PM
That is surprising. BN plecos are fairly common. Try asking for them by the name "Ancistrus." There are several cats in the ancistrus family that would work. Most fish stores bring in new stock on a weekly basis--so ask your local fish store if they can bring some in for you. If you need to mail order, try angelsplus.com (I have purchased a lot of healthy albino bushynose from them) or liveaquaria.com.

Good luck.

The local LFS does has BN plecos, but not the dwarf one. According to the description from LFS, they can grow to 16" to 24" and I don't want that.

Elite Aquaria
01-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Diamond Discus,

I have a fish farmer friend who breeds them by the thousands....how many do you want. I can hook you up with him.

Dan

hazeldazel
01-09-2007, 12:58 AM
your LFS is mistaken - bushynose plecos only get 4-5", there's no such thing as Dwarf BN Plecos. There are many types of plecos and some do get very very large. So, either what your LFS has isn't really a BN pleco or they don't understand that BN plecos stay small.

Bainbridge Mike
01-09-2007, 02:21 AM
The local LFS does has BN plecos, but not the dwarf one. According to the description from LFS, they can grow to 16" to 24" and I don't want that.

Common names can cause a lot of confusion. Ask your LFS if the "BN pleco" they have is an ancistrus. If so, then it will only grow to 4 or 5 inches. Sometimes an old male will make it to 6-7 inches--but not that often.

good luck,
Mike

diamond_discus
01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Should BN plecos be kept in a group ? How many pleco should I put into a 55 gallon tank and a 40 gallon tank ?

Elite Aquaria
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
You can keep one if you want in a 40 gallon tank...that is all I have in my grow out tanks and they stay slime and algae free.

Dan