PDA

View Full Version : Cory with bigger discus ?

diamond_discus
01-06-2007, 01:57 AM
I brought two corys which are doing fine in my community tank with a bunch of 3"-4" discus. However, would these type of corys do okay in another community tank with much bigger discus (like 6" - 7") ? Would the bigger fish try to bite them as food ?

dandestroy
01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I have a few small pepper cory in my adult discus tank.

they are doing just fine, my discus don'T seems to care at all for them.

sleonard
01-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Not too long ago I put 5 small albino cories in with my 3-4" discus. A couple of the discus definately did not like them and immediately started attacking them. 2 were dead before I moved them to another tank.

My experience seems to be the odd case and many people here have cories with discus without issue. Just watch them closely after you first put them in.

Scott

Harriett
01-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I keep cories with my discus without problems in my planted tank. I'd add some 'cover' area like driftwood, etc for good insurance. I think you should be fine.
best regards
Harriett

hexed
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
There should not be a problem at all. If you are concerned, place the corys into the tank at night when the lights are off. I move all my fish around at night and never had a problem. When they wake up in the morning they won't even notice the new fish :)

poconogal
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I put 3 Panda cories in with my 4-5" Discus. Two of the cories were about 3/4" long, and one was a little smaller than that. The Discus totally ignored them. However, my Cardinal Tetras attacked (yes, Cardinal Tetras!!!!) the smallest one. I couldn't believe my eyes, but it happened. I was left with 2 cories. They lasted about 6 months in the Discus tank, which I understand is about the length of time Pandas last at higher temps. I have a Juulli (spelling?) cory who has been doing just fine.

FishLover888
01-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I have 3 cories in my discus tank without any problems. Some of the discus are about 5" to 6" big.

If you have rams, they may chase the cories away. No serious problems.

diamond_discus
01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Will Cory clean up the brown algae ? or I need to get BN pleco to do that ?

poconogal
01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Will Cory clean up the brown algae ? or I need to get BN pleco to do that ?
No, cories will clean the tank bottom of any food, no brown algae though. Yes, a BN or Amano Shrimp are very good for that too. I hate that brown stuff!!!!!

diamond_discus
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
My tanks didn't have those brown algae before .. but started two months ago ..,, my tanks continue to have brown algae, even though I do water change every other days and try to clean the tank as well. Do you know what happen ? Did I overfeed ? Too many fishes in the tank ? I already have Cory and Snail in the tank but they didn't clean the brown algae, only the food at the bottom, as you said.

poconogal
01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Brown diatom usually arrives in either newly set up or somewhat new tank set ups. Its usually the first to arrive. I've tried for years to find out what causes it; there are many opinions, however, no facts, it seems. I don't believe its caused by feeding, since I've had it appear when only feeding a little, once a day. I know its not caused by leaving the light on too long - I've had it appear when the light was on for only 3-4 hours a day. I've been told its due to not enought light, as in wattage, not duration. That maybe true... a few months ago I got some live plants and have gone to a T8 bulb, instead of a T12, so it is brighter. I was told that when green algae appears, the brown will start do disappear. So far, that's what's happening. I've also been told that it will eventually go away all on its own, but it could take even a year for that to happen. In the meantime, it is gross! I have a BN to take care of what's left of it.
HTH,
Connie

diamond_discus
01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
My tanks are not new tanks .. they are both over 6 months old ... only once a month I will do a complete clean up of the canister filter and sponge filter. I don't think it's caused by not having enough light. I used to have a hood with very dim light .. but then 2 months ago, I brought a brighter light ... I tends to believe that the brown algae was caused by too much light ... because my other tank is a breeding tank and I left the light on almost 24/7 during the attaching phase and a couple weeks afterward.