PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2026 leaking!!!

tpastrana
01-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Hi all,
I need help from someone who has or had a eheim 2026/2038 series model. This canister is leaking right out of the motor head area. Where the electrical cord is.I have replaced the rubber seal, used vaseline on the seal. I have all new Latches to make sure it is locking properely. The only thing I noticed is one of the basket rubber gaskets is different from the other. I had a problem with the nozzle that goes into the gasket. It kept staying in the basket hole and getting stuck. So I switched Rubber gaskets. I put the weird shaped one on the bottom and put the other on the top basket and the nozzle fits Ok now. But I still am not sure if that has anything to do with the water coming out of the motor head by the cord? It is not leaking where the unit head connects to the canister itself.Hopefully someone here knows what I am trying to say and has seen this problem before. One of the pictures is the one with the weird seal I switched baskets seals. And the other is where it is leaking by the cord filling up that chamber area then leaking down the bottom coming out underneath the filter.

Thanks
Teresa

dandestroy
01-07-2007, 01:47 AM
hard to answer until one is faced with the same issue.

Anyways most of the time when I tough that my filter was leaking, took me a long time to find out that I was looking at the wrong part on the filter.

What you can do is tape some paper towel around the filter everywhere, including hose connector (most of the time its from there and that drop to an other spot). Leave it like that for a couple hour, and then unrap part by part starting with one you believe that are not the leak.

Vaseline is not the key here, take that seal wash it perfectly until its clean and dry and try it back on. If changing to a new seal does not solves the issue, you probably dont have the real leak. And if you really do have it you can always try some aquarium safesilicon on everything. At worst your silicon can be used to contain that leak in the cassing at least.

Oh first thing I should have asked, how old is it? Do you think you could get it changed where you bough it?

poconogal
01-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Teresa, check this out - look for the post by BrianO which he posted 12/30/2006 at 11:02 a.m.:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=365996&highlight=leaking+eheim#post365996

also, check this out:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/39650-leaking-eheim-bad-eheim-customer-service.html

I saw your email to me - I'll check my 2028 today and let you know.

tpastrana
01-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Teresa, check this out - look for the post by BrianO which he posted 12/30/2006 at 11:02 a.m.:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=365996&highlight=leaking+eheim#post365996

also, check this out:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equipment/39650-leaking-eheim-bad-eheim-customer-service.html

I saw your email to me - I'll check my 2028 today and let you know.

Thanks Connie!!!
Sorry I must of missed that post. I tried looking last night but I was to frustrated by then to find anything. That is definetly what is wrong with my filter:mad: :mad: I am going to take it apart right now. I want to just smash the thing.

Kindredspirit
01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
I want to just smash the thing.

Oh I just bet you do Teresa! Been there done that:mad: Hang in there and if ya smash it go to Sponge Filters:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_3.gif

roclement
01-08-2007, 05:23 PM
hello, how many gallons is your tank? I had two XP3 leak a lot due to water pressure being to great for the filter gaskets, hope this is not your problem!

Rod

Reel North
01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Ive got a 20208 on my Frontosa tank. Damnit. I should have stuck with the 2217 (which is the other one on that tank). Ive had it for 3 or 4 months, no probs yet..... but I think I'll be checking on it... and lubing that ring. Thanks for the heads up.... Fluval, you say..:argue:

Cosmo
01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I got a new 2217 once, put it together, connected the hoses, opened the valves... and got an instant flood coming out of the motor area kind of like you describe. Turned out to be a nearly invisible hairline crack in the casing that surrounds the pump. Made an angry call to the drs and had a new one the next day w/ free return shipping.

Is this a new pump you're talking about... have you, ummm.. dropped the head during a cleaning maybe?? If it's new, send it back for a replacement.. manufacturing defects do occur unfortunately with all manufacturers.
Jim

tpastrana
01-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Oh I just bet you do Teresa! Been there done that:mad: Hang in there and if ya smash it go to Sponge Filters:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_4_3.gif

Ooooooh, I am going to smash it Marie:mad: :mad: Still isn't working.

tpastrana
01-09-2007, 01:22 AM
I got a new 2217 once, put it together, connected the hoses, opened the valves... and got an instant flood coming out of the motor area kind of like you describe. Turned out to be a nearly invisible hairline crack in the casing that surrounds the pump. Made an angry call to the drs and had a new one the next day w/ free return shipping.

Is this a new pump you're talking about... have you, ummm.. dropped the head during a cleaning maybe?? If it's new, send it back for a replacement.. manufacturing defects do occur unfortunately with all manufacturers.
Jim

Hi Jim,
I have not seen any cracks, but it is easy enough to take apart again. I removed the entire push to prime plunger, checked the orange rubber O ring.
I stared at that thing, cleaned it. It seemed pretty soft, not stretched out in anyway. I added vaseline,checked the inside of the housing for any grooves or anything that might have worn out due to the prime button going up and down. I wish I could replace the orange O ring. But I am finding out that it is not available anywhere. When I replaced the seal around the top of the motor head it didnt seem bad either but it was. It stopped leaking there as soon as I replaced it. The only O ring seals I havent replaced yet are the ones that go to the input/output hoses. I might have to send the stupid head unit to eheim so they can fix it. It really makes me mad:mad: I have two fluval 404's. I can fix anything on those units by myself, buy all the parts for it and they just keep on running. I have to say I am very un happy with
how eheim runs there business. They only provide you with X amount of parts and part numbers. If you need anything else you pretty much are at there mercy to get the thing running again. Sorry Jim I just got off on a tangent:o .
Teresa

tpastrana
01-09-2007, 01:31 AM
hello, how many gallons is your tank? I had two XP3 leak a lot due to water pressure being to great for the filter gaskets, hope this is not your problem!

Rod

Hi Rod,
My tank is a 90 gallon. I have two Fluval 404's on the tank now. They have no problems at all. Knock on wood;) I really dont need the e-heim on the tank but since I have it I wanted to add that as a bio mechanical filter only & use the fluvals for any different type media I want to put in. Plus I like to over filtrate:D Makes alternating the cleaning of the filters easy. You never know when one of them might fail. I will always have one of them working to protect my fish. Unless of course I lose power:( Thats a whole new ball game.
Teresa

roclement
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi Rod,
My tank is a 90 gallon. I have two Fluval 404's on the tank now. They have no problems at all. Knock on wood;) I really dont need the e-heim on the tank but since I have it I wanted to add that as a bio mechanical filter only & use the fluvals for any different type media I want to put in. Plus I like to over filtrate:D Makes alternating the cleaning of the filters easy. You never know when one of them might fail. I will always have one of them working to protect my fish. Unless of course I lose power:( Thats a whole new ball game.
Teresa

Hello again, 90gl should not make your filter leak...it (the canister) might make a nice flower pot...: ) you can always use it as a in-tank corner filter no problem with the leak then ...sorry for the bad humor...: )

Rod

tpastrana
01-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Hello again, 90gl should not make your filter leak...it (the canister) might make a nice flower pot...: ) you can always use it as a in-tank corner filter no problem with the leak then ...sorry for the bad humor...: )

Rod

Rod,
Thanks for the humor;) ;) . I do need a good laugh about now.

EheimSucks
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I bought the Pro 3 2075 brand new in Sept 2012 that came with a 3 year warranty. The filter leaked after 2 years destroying my $350 wooden stand. Water leaked out near the power cord. After searching the net I found out that this was a common issue among Pro 3 filters made before Aug 2010. There have also been countless reports of Eheim's Customer Support department ignoring customer emails when contacted for warranty claims.

I emailed them and immediately the next day I received a reply asking for the Serial number, the shipping address and the retail store from which I bought the filter. I replied with the information and that was the last I heard from them. I have sent them 4 more emails since then and they completely ignored them. I have been another victim of their scam.

Apparently Eheim is engaging in fraudulent acitivities, marketing their filters as "Premium" products that come with a 3 year warranty. However, they will try their best NOT to honor the warranty. Maybe I need to call them everyday and write nasty letters to get them to acknowledge my issue. I know some of their victims have received a replacement head unit this way after sending threatening emails and making repeated phone calls. However, it shouldn't have to be this difficult.

I have another Pro 2 filter that also leaked after 6 years of operation. From what I have heard, the company was bought and the quality of customer service has become horrible since then. It is now reaching the point of fraud.

I will never buy another Eheim product again. Beware!!!

DonMD
02-26-2013, 06:07 PM
I have had that exact problem on my Eheim 2026. I contacted Eheim and described the problem. It's an internal lead in the head of the filter. They sent me a replacement free of charge with instructions on how to replace the defective part, and it works fine ever since. Here's the email they sent me:

A replacement valve can be sent to you under the 3 year warranty of the unit. For this could you please forward us the proof of purchase (receipt) of the unit via e-mail (scan, picture or electronic copy) to support@eheim.com or by fax at 514-624-2227 as well as your shipping address and contact phone number.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further assistance.

Yours truly,

EHEIM Technical Support
support@eheim.com
http://www.eheim.com/
EHEIM North America Reg.

As I said, they sent me the part and it works great. Good luck. -Don

lipadj46
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
this post is 6 years old, lol!

lakerat37
09-18-2015, 09:58 PM
I know that this thread is over 8 YEARS OLD, but for those of you that are still using the older Eheim Pro-2 series canister filters I have an update that may help you. I had to tear down my 150 gal tank in order to move. I just put the tank back together after two years. I had all of my equipment stored in a shed w/o climate control (hot & humid). When I put my 2026 back in service it leaked slowly (water coming from inside the head). I found this thread which helped as well as another thread (http://www.njagc.net/wp/articles/replacing-the-priming-o-ring-on-eheim-pro-ii-series-filters/). I really like these filters (both my 2026 and 2028) and I wanted to repair it instead of spending over $200 for a Pro-3 series. I replaced every seal in the head...except one that I did not know about until later.

The repair: I emailed Eheim with my problem believing I would never hear from them, but I had to try. Two days later I received an email with a possible cause for the leak. The technician told me to look for a hairline crack in the "maintenance indicator" (pic #1) 900349003590036 If you will look carefully in Pic #2 you will see the crack running from bottom left to top right. obviously I put too much tension on the return tube when placing it back under the tank. I removed the "indicator" from the housing and it cracked again. the plastic was very brittle (it's only 10 years old). I am going to try to repair this part, but if it does not work I will wait for my new part that I ordered today. By the way there is a rubber seal at the end of the indicator...it comes with the new part.

I hope this is helpful to some of you that still might be using the Pro-2 series. :)