PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Setup Questions

saroberts
01-07-2007, 11:50 PM
After reviewing many of the posts and especially the slicky 'How do I set up my first discus tank' from Carol (and everyone else), I finally feel comfortable with moving forward with putting together a bare bottom (bb) grow out tank.

My goal is to grow out 8 healthy juvenile discus and after this is completed, move them to a planted show tank which I hope to startup in 6 to 8 months.

I have ordered my tank and it should be available for pickup in approximately 10 days. I went with the largest tank I could order for the wall space I have available. This tank is a 65 gallon (36x18x24) All-Glass. Before anyone makes comments, I do have the long arms needed to keep it clean.

In Carol's post, she sugguests using an Aqua clear 500 which to my understanding is an over the edge filter. Since I hope to reuse this tank as a breeder tank in the future will it hurt to use two 40 gallon sponge filters instead? I see these type of filters mentioned most often in the breeders section.

At to my wife's request I will be setting up in the basement. Based on the high side of the watts per gallon calculation I found on the jehmco (www.jehmco.com) web site (5 watts per gallon = 305), I will be purchasing 2 - 150 Watt heaters for this tank. Should I go with a higher wattage?

One piece of information I have not been able to find is lighting on a bare bottom tank. Would a normal single Fluorescent tube light be enough?

I know there will be other supplies that I will need, but these for now are my main worries.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

Bainbridge Mike
01-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Hi Steve:

I have ordered my tank and it should be available for pickup in approximately 10 days. I went with the largest tank I could order for the wall space I have available. This tank is a 65 gallon (36x18x24) All-Glass. Before anyone makes comments, I do have the long arms needed to keep it clean.

65 is a good tank--lots of surface area for gas exchange.

In Carol's post, she sugguests using an Aqua clear 500 which to my understanding is an over the edge filter. Since I hope to reuse this tank as a breeder tank in the future will it hurt to use two 40 gallon sponge filters instead? I see these type of filters mentioned most often in the breeders section.

I would recommend using the biggest aquaclear filter you can find--and adding in two of the "hydro V" sponge filters. You can get them from Jemco. It is always nice to have a little extra filtration. Then if you need to move a fish to a separate tank--you can take one of the hydro V's out to filter the other tank.

At to my wife's request I will be setting up in the basement. Based on the high side of the watts per gallon calculation I found on the jehmco web site (5 watts per gallon = 305), I will be purchasing 2 - 150 Watt heaters for this tank. Should I go with a higher wattage?

300 watts should be fine unless your basement gets really, really cold in the winter!

One piece of information I have not been able to find is lighting on a bare bottom tank. Would a normal single Fluorescent tube light be enough?

A single flourescent is fine for fish viewing. You would only need more if you wanted to keep plants in the tank. Good luck!

Mike

GrillMaster
01-08-2007, 01:09 AM

Better to use both the sponge filters an the AC 500..

At to my wife's request I will be setting up in the basement. Based on the high side of the watts per gallon calculation I found on the jehmco web site (5 watts per gallon = 305), I will be purchasing 2 - 150 Watt heaters for this tank. Should I go with a higher wattage?

Why not just buy one 300 watt heater, or one 500 watt heater? It will be cheaper on you.

That will be plenty of light. As long as you can see the fish, an see what yer doin that is enough light.

GrillMaster
01-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi Steve:

65 is a good tank--lots of surface area for gas exchange.

I would recommend using the biggest aquaclear filter you can find--and adding in two of the "hydro V" sponge filters. You can get them from Jemco. It is always nice to have a little extra filtration. Then if you need to move a fish to a separate tank--you can take one of the hydro V's out to filter the other tank.

300 watts should be fine unless your basement gets really, really cold in the winter!

A single flourescent is fine for fish viewing. You would only need more if you wanted to keep plants in the tank. Good luck!

Mike

Ninja posted me Mike!! :D

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:34 AM
I have four 75 gallon tanks, they each have a 300 watt heater and never deviate more than 0.2F so IMO most of your heaters are over kill. I'm not a big fan of over filtration and I think two Hydro V's would be fine in your case. btw my tanks are also in my basement. I do like the idea of two heaters though, if one fails you should still be fine, but I would go with two 150 watt heaters.

Bainbridge Mike
01-08-2007, 05:10 AM
Ninja posted me Mike!! :D

when you can snatch the pebble from my hand . . .

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-10-2007, 02:07 AM
Steve, you have gotten very good advice. I would just like
to add about lighting: Discus can get scattered for a number
of reasons and one of those is when lighting is exceeded. One
fluro light in a BB tank is good enough, extra can be added if
planting aquaria.

"Discus are the foundation of aquarium entertainment,
and are the best and most respected aquaria fish
in the industry.":love:(Armandi_Fishcarer)

GrillMaster
01-10-2007, 03:18 AM
when you can snatch the pebble from my hand . . .

:bandana: