PDA

View Full Version : Spray Arm Discharge Direction ?

BOBT00LS
01-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Hello All. I have a fluvall 404 on a 55 gallon discus tank and never was happy with the flow of water from the filters discharge. I know its adjustable although it was always to high or too low and located at that one discharge point. I purchased a spray bar, hooked it up and its great. The one question I have is which direction should the spray ports be facing ? Should they be straight down, or ninety degrees ? Let me know what works best for you. Thank You in advance.

Polar_Bear
01-10-2007, 03:17 AM
Hi Bob,
All of my spray bars are pointed almost straight up. This gives me excellent water surface movement so I never need to worry about O2. They are only very slightly set at an angle so that the water is circulated around the tank. As you can probably tell they are all at one end, this creates a slight current that causes debris to washed towards my intake.

FishLover888
01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I have the same set up and aiming it to the surface too. The bars just sit a bit under the water. I actually drilled few more holes just to spread the water more. You can see the water movement on the surface. In this way, you don't need the air stone.
I have a 304 and 404 for my 125 tank. The bars almost cover the whole length of the tank so there is a nice water circulation in the tank.

BOBT00LS
01-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Thank You for your opinions. Thats the way I have mine set up so that it creates a slight ripple on the waters surface.