PDA

View Full Version : Severums

Polar_Bear
01-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Has anyone here ever kept severums with their discus? I really like Severums, and I know they aren't all that aggressive. Just wondering whether or not I should even try putting them together in the same tank. In my case they most likely would be kept in a 75 gallon or larger aquarium.

FishLover888
01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I would say the water parms are different. Lower temp, higher pH and harder water.

Some of them can be aggressive too. Some of them are not. Depending on the individual fish I guess.

billeagan
01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I would be worried about the higher temps.

goheel
01-10-2007, 11:24 AM
My severum was very aggressive toward my discus, so I removed him.

wolfbane
01-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I kept severums and chocolate cichlids bafore my discus, the LFS guy said I would learn alot from them, but keep them WITH discus? Don't think its a good idea.

Ryan
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I used to have a breeding pair of golds in with my angelfish. The male was over 7" and the female only about 6". They never bothered the angels. I have also kept single severums in communities over the years with angels, discus, and various smaller cichlids like kribensis and acaras.

My feelings with severums is that if you buy them small and mix them with larger discus, they should be okay. Like any cichlid, you will have different personalities within a group. Some severums are just plain mean, but then again so are some angelfish, and so are some discus.

Just remember they get large, so it's a good idea to have a decent-sized tank. As for the warmer water, as long as you're not going above 84F or so there shouldn't be an issue. Mine were always kept at 84F and they spawned and produced fry. They are SA cichlids, after all, and most like it a little warmer (though maybe not as high as discus will tolerate).

I kept severums for a long time and I miss them very much. Unfortunately no one around here has good quality severums anymore. They are one of the best cichlids you can own, IMO. If you don't keep them with discus they are fun to keep by themselves :)

poconogal
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I grew up from nickle size to several inches a beautiful Green Severum. He was very peaceful towards his tankmates, until he grew larger and older. He then became aggressive, towards me too if I dared to rearrange his tank the way I wanted it, instead of the way he decorated it. There's no way I'd ever put any Severum in with a Discus.

White Worm
01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Had a yellow (gold?) one and he was boss of the tank, he was aggressive to all other fish. I didnt have him with discus then but I wouldnt put them with discus.

Polar_Bear
01-10-2007, 02:07 PM
OK, I guess I wasn't clear. I obviously have discus and I have kept severums before. So I do understand that severums can be aggressive, however I think, as Ryan stated, if I raise the severums as fry, or young juveniles, with my adult discus that part should be fine. What I was really wanting to know is do any of you think I may have a problem at feeding times or other times once the severums get larger?

The reason I woud like to try this is because I like that severums have a lot of personality and I think I could make it work. The smallest tank I have available is a 75 gallon, so tank size isn't much of a problem. I also already know that severums do like to arrange the tank to suit them and that they can be very hard on plants (I had a female who absolutely hated Ambulia for some odd reason, I would replant it and she would immediately go rip it out and then come and look at me with a "try that again you bast@rd" look", so we would play a little war of wills game with each other, she would always win btw.

I guess if push came to shove I could always put the severums in their own tank <shrug>

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.

Ryan
01-10-2007, 02:15 PM
You see where my Uaru are :) I've got a few of my grow-outs in with my 5" discus. The Uaru argue and pick at one another but they ignore my discus, and vice-versa. Feeding is not really a problem, I just feed a little extra to make sure everyone's eating. So far there haven't been any issues.

I would like to eventually have severums again, I just don't have the space now.

By the way, one of the cichlid dealers that I frequent has a 300 gallon display in his store that has silver angelfish, small chocolate cichlids (4"), large green severums (7 - 8"), and large oscars (12"). None of them even go after the angelfish. The tank's been running for several months now. I think the secret is that he has multiples of each fish, so if there's any aggression it's toward a fish of the same species. It's a beautiful tank and it's really mind-boggling to see fish like large oscars living peacefully with angelfish, which are roughly the size of a 4" discus. Every time he sells an oscar, another goes in. Every time he sells a severum, another goes in. He says it's all about the balance. *shrug*

Ryan

White Worm
01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I agree that in the personality department, the severum did have a great one (2nd to the discus of course). It was my favorite fish before discus. I guess you could consider a severum to be just as aggressive at feeding time as any discus could be. I have heard that some say angels are more aggressive than discus at feeding time. I have not seen this. My discus can surely hold their own at dinner time and no angel is gonna hold them up. I guess it is like anything, trial and error. Would be a nice combo though of some nice colorful fish.

Moon
01-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I have both severums and discus, but keep them seperately. The dietary needs are different. Severums need a lot of greens in their diet. Mine are Heros Rotkeil (red shouldered severums). The more greens I feed them the brighter their red shoulders.
Joe

Polar_Bear
01-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I have both severums and discus, but keep them seperately. The dietary needs are different. Severums need a lot of greens in their diet. Mine are Heros Rotkeil (red shouldered severums). The more greens I feed them the brighter their red shoulders.
Joe

Thanks Joe,
That is the type of information i was looking for. And yes I know severums need some greens in their diet, in all honesty I think discus should have some too.

Also thanks to Ryan and Mike, and everyone else who replied. I'm going to think about making a move like this and all of your answers were helpful.

swinters66
01-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Me personally....I wouldnt. We've kept severums in our aggressive cichlid tanks...one had to go (not aggressive enough) and the other died.

For me, I wouldnt want any fish that "may" harm my discus. Not worth it to me. If you try it....I hope it works out for you.