PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Requirement to keep 4 discuss

anandat
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Hello Guys,
it's great to find out such a nice forum. I am Anand from Mumbai city (INDIA).

I have been searching all post to get answers of my question questions....but there are so many advises & experiences here & I am now confused :confused:

I just ordered for fresh tank (35" inch -L, 18"-H, 15"-W)....I guess approximate 40 US gallon size.

I know I will have to wait till my tank gets cycled...LPS says it will take 15 days time to cycle the tank....I don't know it's true or not

The water I am going to use is that supply from local Municipal Corporation (They get it from pond which harvested rain water pond).

The tank will have gravel filter. 2-3 inch thick layer of stones/sand etc..I also told him to put some live plants.

1) Could any one please tell me my tank is enough for 4 Discuss ? Should I buy Juvenile or adults ?
2) There would 6-7 neons & 1 Corry Catfish in my tank (trying to get pitbul cat fish).....please recommend any other nice colorful fish that I can keep with discus.
3) Is hitter is really necessary to keep discuss ? My city temperature will be between 75°F to 100°F through out the year....if hitter is necessary then what about other fish...this will OK with them
4) Is there any thing special food I will have to give to discus ?
5) Initially I can change watter every 2-3 days but later on on my plan to change water every week....what amount water should I changed...25%...50% ?
6) For lighting there would be 16 W Tuble Light.
7) Also please give me "MOST IMPORTANT" kind of tips which is really necessary keep discuss healthy & happy.

Thanks in advance

FishLover888
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
The gravel filter is a bad idea. Get a HOB filter or a cannister filter. A cannister filter is better IMO.

Your tank is good for 4 discus. Neons will not do well in the water temp discus needs. Use cardinals instead. You need to have at least 3 cories, not just one. Heater is needed for nights when temp get lower than 70's. What is the temp inside the house? If you are going to have over 100F inside, you will have trouble with discus for sure.

The MOST IMPORTANT tip will be water change, more the better.

HTH

White Worm
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Hello Guys,
it's great to find out such a nice forum. I am Anand from Mumbai city (INDIA).

I have been searching all post to get answers of my question questions....but there are so many advises & experiences here & I am now confused :confused:

I just ordered for fresh tank (35" inch -L, 18"-H, 15"-W)....I guess approximate 40 US gallon size.

I know I will have to wait till my tank gets cycled...LPS says it will take 15 days time to cycle the tank....I don't know it's true or not

The water I am going to use is that supply from local Municipal Corporation (They get it from pond which harvested rain water pond).

The tank will have gravel filter. 2-3 inch thick layer of stones/sand etc..I also told him to put some live plants.

1) Could any one please tell me my tank is enough for 4 Discuss ? Should I buy Juvenile or adults ?
2) There would 6-7 neons & 1 Corry Catfish in my tank (trying to get pitbul cat fish).....please recommend any other nice colorful fish that I can keep with discus.
3) Is hitter is really necessary to keep discuss ? My city temperature will be between 75°F to 100°F through out the year....if hitter is necessary then what about other fish...this will OK with them
4) Is there any thing special food I will have to give to discus ?
5) Initially I can change watter every 2-3 days but later on on my plan to change water every week....what amount water should I changed...25%...50% ?
6) For lighting there would be 16 W Tuble Light.
7) Also please give me "MOST IMPORTANT" kind of tips which is really necessary keep discuss healthy & happy.

Thanks in advance

The setup you are trying will be OK at best with gravel, fish load, and you will certainly want older fish as juvies will not do as well. 4 would be max and you really should go with something larger like 55g which most consider the smallest when growing discus. Undergravel filters are crud catchers and you would be better without one and without the gravel. Cardinals, discus and cleaners like cory and bn plecos go well together. yes you need a heater. you will want stable temps around 83-85 for discus. Discus will eat most flake, pellet and frozen foods. Hikari and tetra are good brands. Initially you may want to up your water changes to daily with 50% and later down to 2-3 a week at 50% depending on plants. Healthy and happy discus require space to swim, clean water and plenty of good food. It would be hard to explain every basic need so please read alot in the beginner section (sticky's). Many start wrong and end up discouraged.

anandat
01-26-2007, 01:39 AM
The gravel filter is a bad idea. Get a HOB filter or a cannister filter. A cannister filter is better IMO.

Your tank is good for 4 discus. Neons will not do well in the water temp discus needs. Use cardinals instead. You need to have at least 3 cories, not just one. Heater is needed for nights when temp get lower than 70's. What is the temp inside the house? If you are going to have over 100F inside, you will have trouble with discus for sure.

The MOST IMPORTANT tip will be water change, more the better.

HTH

Cannister Filter is very expensive. The night temperature will not go below 70F & in summer out site it may be 100F but in house it's always around between 86 to 92F so water temperature will always below room temp.

Still the heater is required ?