PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear power filters

Ardan
01-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I am very happy with all my Aquaclear power filters. I have 200 gal per hour, 300 gallon per hour (8), and 2 -500 gal/hr.
I use only sponges in them, but they have been reliable.
The only problem is breaking some fins on some of the impellers, but a replacement impeller was purchased and good as new.

Ardan

korbi_doc
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I am very happy with all my Aquaclear power filters. I have 200 gal per hour, 300 gallon per hour (8), and 2 -500 gal/hr.
I use only sponges in them, but they have been reliable.
The only problem is breaking some fins on some of the impellers, but a replacement impeller was purchased and good as new.

Ardan

:) :) I also love mine, using AC 500's, even have a tiny one, don't know what #....lol.....Dottie ;)

AmberC
01-22-2007, 10:15 PM
I run AC's on all my tanks too! I have two 110's on my 125, a 75 on my 55 and a 30 on my 20 :)

Amber

poconogal
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
My AC Mini is 16 years old. My AC 500 is 14 years old. Think I got my money's worth?

Timbo
01-23-2007, 12:36 PM
excellent, reliable, inexpensive and simple. great filters

now, if someone could manufacture a decent heater....

wolfbane
01-23-2007, 03:38 PM
These filters have been great, I have recommended them to friends. I have only one beef, the water flow adjustment really doesn't seem to make a difference.

Alight
01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Great filters. Very quiet. I have a 110 and a 70, and wish I had more.
Very reliable and user friendly.

I use the sponge and ceramic noodles (piled to the top) in them. I also put many holes or slots in the intake tubes and pull Oxygen plus sponges over these tubes. Doing this, I only have to clean the sponge inside the filter every few months.

poconogal
01-23-2007, 05:34 PM
These filters have been great, I have recommended them to friends. I have only one beef, the water flow adjustment really doesn't seem to make a difference.
Debbie, that's odd. It makes a huge difference on all of mine. Perhaps the tube isn't seating properly inside the filter?

Connie

jim_shedden
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I also use the Emporer's as well..............however, I have found the Aquaclear's are so much easier to maintain.

Jim

wolfbane
01-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Connie, I re-evaluated what I said, On my 50s, the flow drops a little, on my 110s, I don't see much diff at all, but my husband put a lil platic gasket on the ledge where the tube sits, maybe this is preventing a good seat in the filter. He thinks it eliminates a vibration that was bothering him.

Lisachromis
01-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Aquaclears are my favourite hangon filter out there. Easy to maintain, easy to clean and easy to put back together. The media inside still fits even when they make changes in the design. Out of approximately 15 tanks that I have them on, I've replaced a total of 3 in 15 years. Those were ones that were already 10-15 years old when I got them (approx 20-25 years old when chucked out). Most of mine are close to 15 years old now.

As far as the difference with the volume of water when the flow is adjusted.... it works for me. :thumbsup:

poconogal
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Connie, I re-evaluated what I said, On my 50s, the flow drops a little, on my 110s, I don't see much diff at all, but my husband put a lil platic gasket on the ledge where the tube sits, maybe this is preventing a good seat in the filter. He thinks it eliminates a vibration that was bothering him.

Deb, I think that's probably it, the lil plastic gadget is most likely preventing the u-tube from seating properly. I know on mine there is a very visible difference in the flow.

Yep, my AC500 sometimes has a vibration too, which can be annoying. I used to just move the tube back and forth slowing and speeding up the flow. That took care of the vibration, most times, but not always. Now I don't use my AC anymore, have moved on to a canister, but there are things I do miss about the AC500, it was like an old friend, after 14 years!! LOL!!

soundtweakers
01-26-2007, 12:20 AM
The Aquaclear mini was the very first filter I got when I graduated from the box filter that comes with 10 gallon starter kit. Eight years later, good as new.

billy

poconogal
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
The Aquaclear mini was the very first filter I got when I graduated from the box filter that comes with 10 gallon starter kit. Eight years later, good as new.

billy

My Mini is 16 years old! Also the very first filter I got when I started in the hobby with my little 10 gal tank! :D

cobaltblue
01-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I have 2 ac 110 on my 125g, and ac 70's on my other three tanks. Never had a problem with one of them, and yes, they are easy to maintain. Love them.:)

Aiptasia
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Ditto. I love aquaclear power filters. They're so much easier to maintain than the filter pad types (whispers, etc.) and i've yet to have one burn out, break impellor blades or leak on me. I run mine with the sponges and the new bio-media ceramic bags. I like the new bio-media bags as you don't have to worry so much about wiping out the bacteria in your sponge when you rinse it out thoroughly.

Big plug to the aquaclear line of filters.

Beta123
02-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I have aquaclear 110 and the filter acting up on me. I purchased its used 3month ago. Everything look clean and complete, but it doesn't want to suck up the water. I adjust the water level and that didn't help either. The profeller and motor look very clean. It's just making a lot of noise. I think replace the profeller would be reasonable, but need 2nd opinion. Any tips on repair this thing?

Lisachromis
02-27-2007, 04:27 PM
If it's really noisy, odds are good that you need a new impeller. The only other thing I can think of as to why it won't suck up the water is if you put the motor on backwards.

Beta123
02-28-2007, 02:14 AM
If it's really noisy, odds are good that you need a new impeller. The only other thing I can think of as to why it won't suck up the water is if you put the motor on backwards.

I have not take the impeller and motor apart so not sure. I will try to dissemble in the next few days.

Ardan
02-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi,
Make sure the metal rod stays in the motor, if this is not in there or comes loose the impeller wobbles against the side of the motor and doesn't spin or makes noise.

hth
Ardan

poconogal
02-28-2007, 09:20 AM
I have aquaclear 110 and the filter acting up on me. I purchased its used 3month ago. Everything look clean and complete, but it doesn't want to suck up the water. I adjust the water level and that didn't help either. The profeller and motor look very clean. It's just making a lot of noise. I think replace the profeller would be reasonable, but need 2nd opinion. Any tips on repair this thing?
I had that happen with AC500 (now 110), only mine is 14 years old! I tried a new impeller and that did not help. I contacted Hagen and they sent me a new metal rod, the thin one that goes in through the center of the impeller... I replaced the old one as soon as I got the new one from Hagen, and the problem was solved.

Beta123
02-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I found the manual on the internet. It is easy to take apart. The only thing I'm not clear is taking the metal rod off. My guess would be push out through the bottom, but I didn't want to take a chance create a water leak. Any tips?

Ardan
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
HI,
If you remove the motor from the bottom of the filter, the metal rod will pull up and out of the motor.

Hth
Ardan

Beta123
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
The motor shaft had been removed and it is very wear. I need to find the place that sale the shaft. I found a shaft for 402, 802, and 500 for $3.99 but not sure the right one. The seller doesn't response to my email so I didn't want to take a chance. Does anyone know where I can purchase it? I am in Seattle Washington.

poconogal
03-11-2007, 12:48 PM
The motor shaft had been removed and it is very wear. I need to find the place that sale the shaft. I found a shaft for 402, 802, and 500 for $3.99 but not sure the right one. The seller doesn't response to my email so I didn't want to take a chance. Does anyone know where I can purchase it? I am in Seattle Washington.
I got mine straight from Hagen, the manufacturer. I went to their website and just contacted customer service. Here's a link to their parts:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/sub_category_psubtype.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PSUBCAT=10701

Beta123
03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I got mine straight from Hagen, the manufacturer. I went to their website and just contacted customer service. Here's a link to their parts:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/sub_category_psubtype.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PSUBCAT=10701

How much do you pay for it? There is no phone# and the only way to contact them is by fill out the form from their web site.

poconogal
03-11-2007, 04:34 PM
How much do you pay for it? There is no phone# and the only way to contact them is by fill out the form from their web site.
I don't remember, sorry, but I know it wasn't all that expensive. I filled out the form and they got back to me pretty quickly. I belive the part you need is the impeller shaft. I was very pleased with Hagen's customer service. Also, have you tried to google "impeller shaft aqua clear" and see what comes up?