PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?? Page view not properly spaced

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 06:16 AM
I like the links on the left, but now that you added them I don't see the forum time at the bottom. I find It helpfull knowing what time sombody posted, and my time is different then the forum time.

Thanks....

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 07:34 AM
I like it too:) But I want to know what the Media Gallery is going to be ~ also I do not see the time either ~

Marie~ :coffee:

CAGE-RATTLER
01-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Not sure where you guys are used to seeing the time but its on the bottom of all the pages and the posts still show the time they were made.

You can setup the time to show your regional time by going to your usercp and change the options.

I just hope the sidebar menu doesnt impeed with the larger pics.
Maybe just having the sidebar menu on the main page might be better?

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm glad to hear the time is still on your page. I set the time thing in my options a long time ago, but it was never correct, not by just hours but the minutes were off also.. Never said anything because the time was on bottom of pages..Its not showing anymore to me now..Maybe its just my piece of junk that I'm typing on...Planning a reformatting this thing soon.

CAGE-RATTLER
01-22-2007, 08:13 AM
It shows on mine between the 2 banners and the FORUM JUMP drop down list.

The time itself is in a cream color on mine.

Elite Aquaria
01-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I can not seem to scroll to the right...So everything is cut off can't read entire post. Anyone else having this problem?

Dan

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Now that you have said that I just want to say the banners don't show up at the bottom of the pages, just at the top now...

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 08:32 AM
If you need to know I am running IE 7 version 7.0.5730.11. don't know if ya need that but just incase

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I can not seem to scroll to the right...So everything is cut off can't read entire post. Anyone else having this problem?

Dan

Same thing here I have to go to full screen to see all of the post.

Elite Aquaria
01-22-2007, 08:59 AM
I am running full screen still does not work...

Dan

Ryan
01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
For those that can't see banners or the forum time, have you tried clearing your history and refreshing the page? As always, any time changes are made to code on a website this is the quickest way to determine whether or not the issue is with the site or with your computer. I have tested this on both FireFox 2 and IE7 and it worked in both browsers for me.

Dan, what is your screen resolution set to and what browser are you using? I have moved my resolution all the way down to 800x600 and it does go off the right side of the screen, but I have scrollbars that allow me to scroll over. Resolutions at 1024x768 and higher should display normally with no scrollbars.

Ryan

miko12
01-22-2007, 01:22 PM
....getting better and better......Thank you guys for all your hard work, it makes this forum a wonderful place to hang-out......

Ryan
01-22-2007, 01:25 PM
I find It helpfull knowing what time sombody posted, and my time is different then the forum time.

Your time doesn't have to be different than the forum time unless for some reason you choose to have it set that way. In USER CP (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/usercp.php) if you click on Edit Options, there is a Time Zone section about 3/4 of the way down the page. You can change the forum time to wherever you are in the world.

Ryan

Elite Aquaria
01-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I have Explorer 6.0.26.

I cleared all history, cookies etc...I can read post OK but when I go to post I do not have full screen.

Dan

Ryan
01-22-2007, 02:10 PM
It must be your resolution... do you know what your screen resolution is set to? If you are using Windows, you can find out by right-clicking on an empty area of the desktop and hitting Properties, then selecting the Settings tab. Under "Screen Resolution" there should be a number like that says something like 800 by 600 pixels, 1024 by 768 pixels, etc. I found that 1024 x 768 works best.

The fact that you're using Internet Explorer 6 may also be a culprit. I only have IE7 so I couldn't test it in an older browser.

Ryan

poconogal
01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
On some posts I can't read the whole post, the right side is chopped off now... Ryan, one of them was yours re the nano tank! LOL!!! Res is 1024x768... oh well...

Ryan
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
If your resolution is set that high and your browser is running full-screen, nothing should be cut off. I run my browser full-screen here at my office on a 1024x768 resolution and I can see everything fine.

On large posts with things like pictures that go off-screen, I have scroll bars. If you don't have scroll bars, it may be your browser version. Internet Explorer 7 and FireFox 2 are the latest releases so people might want to consider updating. Actually, Microsoft has placed IE7 in their Windows Updates, so if people keep their computers up-to-date this should have been automatically installed anyway for security purposes.

And as always, if you are using AOL... well, that's a bad idea, because AOL hates a lot of websites, including this one :( Things never show up properly.

Ryan

GrillMaster
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Dan

I have the same problem...:(

Cant make out yer reply Ryan cause I cant see the whole response....HMMMM

-Mark-

Ryan
01-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I have the same problem...:(

-Mark-

Mark,

As I mentioned in earlier posts, what is your screen resolution and what browser do you use?

GrillMaster
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I just upped the resolution to 1024x678... Everything shows up on screen now, but my damn eyes are so bad, I have to use my glasses to read everything now...:D

I dont see a clock though. I guess this would be a browser problem.

The only real dufference I see is the navagation column on the left. Is there more that I am not seeing?

the first pics is 800x600. The second pics is with the higher res.

is the second set of pics they way its spose ta look??

-Mark-

Elite Aquaria
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Changing the screen resolution resolved the cutting off problem...But now I am going blind...Ryan can you help me out with that...LOL

Looks like I can not see any banners at the top either...this may be the IE version...I will try and update and see if it helps

Dan

Ryan
01-22-2007, 06:37 PM
As I said earlier in the thread, sometimes clearing the internet history helps. If not, try updating your browser. This is recommended anyway if your browser is out-of-date because the newer versions contain patches and security fixes to protect you online.

Ryan

greyhoundfan
01-22-2007, 08:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/fishnut/pagelook.jpg

My page view isn't properly spaced. Links on left window pane, bleed into the body page.

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Omg! Mine too! I just noticed it ~ I think Frank was telling me something like that was going on with his page too~

Thanks Reid:)

greyhoundfan
01-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Good feedback Marie, I can't read whole sentences
either. About 3" gets cut off so at the end.
I'm typing short sentences here so
you can read it.

Graham
01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
The banner and whatever is underneath needs to be adjusted..they're over lapping. I know the fun that I've had with my website...you have to keep checking to see what it's going to look like....a pain but a minor problem

AmberC
01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Mine is messed up too.. but its only the "Whats New.. Our new Product and livestock... " part is bleeding into the main body.

Amber

t_j
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Mine is messed up too.. but its only the "Whats New.. Our new Product and livestock... " part is bleeding into the main body.

Amber

Mines the same as Ambers.

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
If you don't have scroll bars, it may be your browser version. Internet Explorer 7 and FireFox 2 are the latest releases so people might want to consider updating. Actually, Microsoft has placed IE7 in their Windows Updates, so if people keep their computers up-to-date this should have been automatically installed anyway for security purposes.

And as always, if you are using AOL... well, that's a bad idea, because AOL hates a lot of websites, including this one :( Things never show up properly.

Ryan

Ryan I am having the same problem too:( It seems everytime you add to or change Sd I experience some issue ~ I do not use AOL anymore for Sd since the last time something was done I cld never reply to anything as it just keeps loading....

So ~

I popped over here to IE...and my computer is very very fast now~:) But ya had to go and add some new toys huh? There is no where else left to go Ryan...lol! I have all updates on my computer and IE 7...like you ....all history is cleared....

Marie ~ :coffee:

CAGE-RATTLER
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM
One other thing that will obviously factor into your view is your monitor size.

Im only running a 17" monitor with 1024 x 768 and all is fine.

For those that upped your resolution and find the type to small, you can also up the type size from your view menu at the top of the browser window with firefox and from the PAGE menu in IE7. Also in IE7 there is cool function at the bottom right corner where you can adjust the ZOOM amount for when you have small text. Of course using that will make you have to scroll side by side more.

EDIT: I use firefox now and just fired up IE7 and also dont see the bottom banners or clock. Personally i cant stand the new IE7 and thats why i went to firefox.

AmberC
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Ryan I am having the same problem too It seems everytime you add to or change Sd I experience some issue ~ I do not use AOL anymore for Sd since the last time something was done I cld never reply to anything as it just keeps loading....

So ~

I popped over here to IE...and my computer is very very fast now~ But ya had to go and add some new toys huh? There is no where else left to go Ryan...lol! I have all updates on my computer and IE 7...like you ....all history is cleared....

Marie ~

Thats ditto for me :(

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Good feedback Marie, I can't read whole sentences
either. About 3" gets cut off so at the end.
I'm typing short sentences here so
you can read it.

That is hilarious!! Thanks for that babe:)

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Amber

You did not do that AMBER:p Make your sentences shorter for me! lol! I can not read all of your post! At first I was looking and looking for my scroll bar to move things over!

Green Country Discus
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Same problem here. Can't read all the sentences at the right side.
Can't get to the 2 on multiple page threads. And after just looking
my spell check is hidden LOL and I need it!!

AmberC
01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
You did not do that AMBER:p Make your sentences shorter for me! lol! I can not read all of your post! At first I was looking and looking for my scroll bar to move things over!

lmao! I didn't have a prob with that
only the whats new thingie
if I keep hitting enter
does this work?
lol

CAGE-RATTLER
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
You should all post what browser you are using because that is the culprit obviously.

greyhoundfan
01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
I am on IE 6.0
Cage is it working
for you?

CAGE-RATTLER
01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Its working fine on firefox but im getting overlaps with IE7 and i also dont see the bottom banners or clock with IE7.

I just tried the delete history and refresh but still the same.

EDIT: just deleted everything and still the same with IE7.

I prefer Firefox anyway tho but just trying to help.

Ryan
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
There is an entire thread about this already.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55397

What are your screen resolutions? I have tested this on IE7 and FireFox2 running at 1024x768 resolution with no overlapping or cut off sentences.

Clear your history, refresh, and try again. Any time I change pages and people are having problems, this is the first thing you should try.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Can't get to the 2 on multiple page threads. And after just looking
my spell check is hidden LOL and I need it!!

Ditto on both:(

Ryan
01-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Then it must be screen resolutions. 1024x768 is standard now. The only reason you should be having these issues is if A) your browser is out of date, B) you are running a resolution lower than 1024x768, or C) you are not running your browser at full-screen.

I posted earlier in this thread how to check your screen resolution. 1024x768 has been standard on most websites for at least a year now so I can't imagine why anyone's running something less than this unless you have an old computer and/or a small monitor (less than 17"). It should be standard otherwise -- all new computers being sold now have a resolution at least this high, but probably much higher.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
That is what my resolution is Ryan ~ I just checked...now on this thread...the page is displaying properly:) On the other thread re this issue...it is not~

Strange ~

M ~

AmberC
01-22-2007, 09:56 PM
My screen resolutions are 1280x800, my screen size is about 15" and I am using IE7.

On saying that, I just tried mozilla (this is what my hubby uses) and there were no issues there. Actually.. the "Whats New" box disappeared completely.

So I guess the changes are set up to work with Mozilla folks and us IE users are SOL.

At least thats what my hubby just said.
Amber

Ryan
01-22-2007, 10:00 PM
So I guess the changes are set up to work with Mozilla folks and us IE users are SOL.

At least thats what my hubby just said.

I'm sorry, but this kind of attitude really burns me. I put a lot of time and effort into testing out all the changes I make here across different browsers and on different PCs, and I do it for free. Very rarely does anyone step up to at least say thank you or tell me they appreciate what I'm attempting to do. Instead I get a lot of complaints and a message like this.

I'll be switching back to the old view and I won't try things like this again.

Ryan

AmberC
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Ryan I was not trying to P* you off here.. I was trying to say that its a browser issue not simply discus. You cannot do anything about the browsers different people use. Plus the different browsers work differently on different computers.

It seems like the issue here is IE and the way its running. That is all I was saying.

Amber

Ryan
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
The issues have been fixed. I reverted back to our original layout.

Ryan

Ryan
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
The issues have been fixed. I reverted back to our original layout.

Ryan

Kindredspirit
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
aww..Ryan ~ we so appreciate you really ~ you must know that:) You work hard on Simply and it shows ~ I am sure that Amber did not mean to offend you ~

Marie ~ :)

GrillMaster
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
Ryan I think everyone here at Simply appreciates everything you do!!

Ya just got such a huge fan base, but it includes various ages, structures an attitudes. The more folks that sign up here the more varietiy of personalities your going to find.

The biggest thing is, IMO, things that are typed are not necesarilly what is actually bein implied. I am very guilty of that!! I know what I want to say, but my fingers jus go aff an say something entirely different.

I hope you felt how much you were appreciated after working so hard with Al an Paul for weeks tryin to get the board up an goin again!! The responses were endless.

Now change it back!! ;) :D

brewmaster15
01-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

I understand Ryan's frustration completely as we run into this whenever we try to institute changes. It may sound focused on those
here with the issues...but its not. The Job Ryan does here is often behind the scenes....aside from Me... none of you could really understand how much he really does do...and when these issues arise its a real source of frustration for both of us.

I'm going to briefly try to explain this...Our Forum is supported software... which means software people are constantly improving it, fixing holes and patched, updating glitches, adding functionality. We as users , need to keep up with those fixes...and if we want to improve our forum or try something new... use whats availible. Some work...some don't. The fact is when ever things are created for the web these days...they don't create them to work on every old browser version and the older resolution. That used to be the goal...complete backwards compatibility...but its not done in practice any more. I can't even log into one of my credit card providers site unless I am using the most update versions of a browser. I wish I could find a way to do that on this forum.

Developers look at the current browsers, and current resolutions.....thats why you often see..."optimized for" shown when you visit a website.

Fact is..many people are lazy and if they are happy with their current browsers...they don't update to new versions..even though its free and more secure. I'm guilty here as I have used Firefox now a few weeks since the newest version came out...keep meaning to upgrade...but haven't.

These suggestions aren't just for this above issue...they are general.

Suggestion 1.... UPDATE YOUR BROWSERS.. its more secure and
developers intend for you to do this.
Suggestion 2.... If you post a problem... give us all the info...ex..
browser type and version. If we ask you for a
piece of info...theres a reason.

Suggestion 3...... Lose AOL. Its Browser is not forum friendly...
Do not view Our Forum with it, use another
Browser. If you have a problem viewing the forum
and use AOL.. try another browser...they are free.

Suggestion 4...... Increase your Monitors resolution.... as
technology improves.. the web standards ..
600X 800 used to be the standard and we built
our web around that.. now its 1024x768 . WE
Aren't the ones that set the standard..but we
do have to use it if we ever want to try anything
new here, like Ryan did.

Suggestion 5.....Be patient....Nothing is ever easy to fix... and we
always try to do our best... and remember if
something you are experiencing frustrates you
as individuals... It frustrates us many times more .
:):):)

Thanks ,
Al

Elite Aquaria
01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry, but this kind of attitude really burns me. I put a lot of time and effort into testing out all the changes I make here across different browsers and on different PCs, and I do it for free. Very rarely does anyone step up to at least say thank you or tell me they appreciate what I'm attempting to do. Instead I get a lot of complaints and a message like this.

I'll be switching back to the old view and I won't try things like this again.

Ryan

Ryan,

Your efforts are very much appreciated by myself and many others on this forum. Often times we do not give credit where credit is due. I have an IT background so my post were not intended as complaints but as tools for you to tweak the software if needed. After seeing your post I realized that I had an issue with the version of IE I was running and my resolution was not up to standard. I thank you again for pointing this out. I hope that you do not get frustrated with some of our post because we truly appreciate you and all that you do for our fantastic forum. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

PS I loved the changes that you were putting in!!:D :D :D

Dan

Ryan
02-02-2007, 03:13 PM
A compromise. The navigation is back, but it's only on the first page. Again, I have tested this in IE7 and Firefox 2 and it appears to display properly with no overlapping on a resolution of 1024x768 or higher. The navigation will only appear on the first page.

Does anyone see an issue with this one? I changed the HTML code on this slightly to hopefully iron out some of the kinks.

Ryan

CAGE-RATTLER
02-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Looks fine to me Ryan in IE7 and Firefox.

Kindredspirit
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Looks great to me too Ryan:) I am on IE7...it looks the same actually:)

Marie ~ :balloon:

AmberC
02-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Ryan it looks awesome! No overlap on my screen either. I really do like having the menu on the side there. Its very user friendly :)

Ardan
02-02-2007, 06:39 PM
:thumbsup: :) :)
Ardan

Elite Aquaria
02-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Great work...Thank you for your efforts the new changes are great.

Dan

Kindredspirit
02-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Ryan it looks awesome! No overlap on my screen either. I really do like having the menu on the side there. Its very user friendly :)

I do not see a menu on the side:( But that is okay!! I am NOT complaining....Mine is just up on top where it always is:)

Graham
02-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I do not see a menu on the side:( But that is okay!! I am NOT complaining....Mine is just up on top where it always is:)

Ya what menu on the side .I saw that one day for about an hour and then it was gone:confused:

brewmaster15
02-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Its only on the forums index page.... Ryan did this to minimize the chance of "issues":)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/index.php

-al

D discus
02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
:argue: Hey Brew! What happened to your question about water changes vs ammonia? DD

brewmaster15
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Dick!:)

its here..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=55722

-al