PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Racks

diablocanine
01-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Seen several gorilla racks in use here. I am setting up two but know someone that is experiencing bowing/warping of the 72" shelf bars. Anyone ever experience this?.......DC

billeagan
01-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Seen several gorilla racks in use here. I am setting up two but know someone that is experiencing bowing/warping of the 72" shelf bars. Anyone ever experience this?.......DC

I stick with the 48" sections.. They hold 10,000 pounds - I think the 6foot sections only hold 7,000...

And, by going with the 4 footers you can use a 3/4" 4x8 sheet of plywood and get 4 shelves out of it =)

korbi_doc
01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
:) Hey DC, SAY IT ISN'T SO!!...have 2 lg Gorilla racks, 6' shelves for my 90g & 110g....(they're still in the trailer, lol)...I put 1/2" marine plywood, painted with polyurethane, to help with moisture, on top of the metal shelving, then styrofoam under the tanks....really thought this would suffice, but your story worries me....I've never heard that one before & the racks are really strong... I did see a post about putting 2x4 short wood pcs inside the metal struts to help prevent such problems....maybe I need to rethink that...don't remember where I saw that post, had pics....guess I better get to that miter saw, huh?? Dottie ;)

CAGE-RATTLER
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Im curious what the length of the tanks on the 6 foot racks are.

a 6foot long tank should not bow the shelves but i can see it if you have 2 36"ers on there or even a 48 centered possibly.

I too only have the 48" racks but have tought about trying the 6 footer for larger tanks.

diablocanine
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
:) Hey DC, SAY IT ISN'T SO!!...have 2 lg Gorilla racks, 6' shelves for my 90g & 110g....(they're still in the trailer, lol)...I put 1/2" marine plywood, painted with polyurethane, to help with moisture, on top of the metal shelving, then styrofoam under the tanks....really thought this would suffice, but your story worries me....I've never heard that one before & the racks are really strong... I did see a post about putting 2x4 short wood pcs inside the metal struts to help prevent such problems....maybe I need to rethink that...don't remember where I saw that post, had pics....guess I better get to that miter saw, huh?? Dottie ;)

Here is a link to my journal, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/41281-remodeling-my-fish-room.html it has pics of the 2x4 cross braces. I believe I found the idea somewhere here in the fish room links. Had a response that they would not work like that but as you can see I am spanning 30" and I want that added support. Someone posted that their gorilla rack was bowing/warping and was looking for the reason why. Mine isn't completed yet, was wondering if anyone had seen it happen. Did you use regular insulation under the tanks?.......DC

korbi_doc
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
:) Hi DC, yes those are the crosspieces I saw....with those & a plywood layer under the tanks, don't see why there should be any problem with warping....do you think that a long pc of 2x4 inside the shelf bar from end to end might work better?? (lengthwise) Seems to me these shelves would be stronger than the wrought iron stands we use to support tanks, lol....

The insulation under my tanks is just the large styro sheets at Lowe's or HD, cut to size....used that under all of my tanks in NJ, also used a light blue one as a background on my present 125g, looks ok behind my wilds...

Cage, the 2 tanks I have for these shelves are 4' long, a 90g & a 110...the latter is real deep, but worked for juvies I was raising then..

architect1
01-25-2007, 11:44 AM
LIke I said on the other forum. Get work and can't wait to see them again. You gave me an idea on how to put more tanks in my room. LoL Land lords wont like it but meh. Laws state I don't even have to tell them.

diablocanine
01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
:) Hi DC, yes those are the crosspieces I saw....with those & a plywood layer under the tanks, don't see why there should be any problem with warping....do you think that a long pc of 2x4 inside the shelf bar from end to end might work better?? (lengthwise) Seems to me these shelves would be stronger than the wrought iron stands we use to support tanks, lol....

The insulation under my tanks is just the large styro sheets at Lowe's or HD, cut to size....used that under all of my tanks in NJ, also used a light blue one as a background on my present 125g, looks ok behind my wilds...

I don't think there will be a problem with the cross braces either, I'm going for it. I'm thinking real hard about using those styro sheets under the tanks too.

Is that your Dobie in your avatar? Did you happen to get him/her at Kimbertal? I am looking at getting another or 2 or 3....hopefully soon.....DC

korbi_doc
01-26-2007, 12:55 AM
;) Is that your Dobie in your avatar? Did you happen to get him/her at Kimbertal? I am looking at getting another or 2 or 3....hopefully soon.....DC

Yes DC, that's my Korbi gal....no, didn't get her at Kimbertal...her breeder was an AKC professional dobe handler for many yrs, now retired in Fl...am getting a new pup from her hopefully pretty soon also...Korbi will be 9yrs in May, hard to believe....

Do put the styro sheet insulation under the tanks, you will like it; I used it on the backs & sides too, helps with the heat as well as leveling the bottom....

diablocanine
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
;) Is that your Dobie in your avatar? Did you happen to get him/her at Kimbertal? I am looking at getting another or 2 or 3....hopefully soon.....DC

Yes DC, that's my Korbi gal....no, didn't get her at Kimbertal...her breeder was an AKC professional dobe handler for many yrs, now retired in Fl...am getting a new pup from her hopefully pretty soon also...Korbi will be 9yrs in May, hard to believe....

Do put the styro sheet insulation under the tanks, you will like it; I used it on the backs & sides too, helps with the heat as well as leveling the bottom....

Lets see a bigger pic of her. Does that breeder sell online and have a website? I have 2 full sheets of the blue stuff in the garage, think I will cut and install that next.....DC

korbi_doc
01-27-2007, 10:45 AM
:) Here's 1, I hope, lol Still lookin', find more fish & horses than K, lol

diablocanine
11-11-2007, 01:24 AM
:) Here's 1, I hope, lol Still lookin', find more fish & horses than K, lol

Here is my new girlfriend:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/DiabloCanine/d64b1.jpg
Kennel pic before I got her

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/DiabloCanine/Picture222.jpg
Just turned 5 months

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/DiabloCanine/Picture240.jpg
Already a lap dog

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/DiabloCanine/Picture241.jpg
Wanna kiss?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c50/DiabloCanine/Picture238.jpg
Just chillin'

pcsb23
11-11-2007, 07:01 AM
nice pup DC :)

korbi_doc
11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
:D Hey DC...Congrats on your new "girlfriend"....very nice indeed.....how old is she now?.....my "new pup" is now 7 mos...& she is a hell raiser, full of energy...but beginning to respond to OB training....Korbi is not happy, keeps her "down" constantly...she's not going to lose to this interloper, lol.....

diablocanine
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
:D Hey DC...Congrats on your new "girlfriend"....very nice indeed.....how old is she now?.....my "new pup" is now 7 mos...& she is a hell raiser, full of energy...but beginning to respond to OB training....Korbi is not happy, keeps her "down" constantly...she's not going to lose to this interloper, lol.....

She is 5 months. Her nose sure does get her in trouble, worse than a 2 year old. I know what you mean about full of energy. I put her on the treadmill at 4 ph for an hour to tire her out, sometimes works. Tiki, our 15 year old male pekingnese, s not happy either wonder why they cannot remember being a puppy. She has learned fuss, sitz, & platz; currently working on bleib & heir.....DC