PDA

View Full Version : Safe to mail order Discus in winter?

Don Trinko
01-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I am in Ohio and it gets cold. Is it safe to mail order Discus in the winter? If I pick them up myself other than a cooler what do I do to keep them warm?
(a 2 hour trip at 84 degrees in the car does not sound like fun!)
Thanks Don T.

Graham
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
A 2 hour trip is nothing...bag them, Use O2 and put them in a cooler in a warm car...zero problems....now if they are sent in the mail...and you pick them up at the PO........well that's a recipe for a disaster

Air freight or 24 hour priority courier ... styro boxes, heat packs...pack heavy

tivar
01-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Don,
Where are you in Ohio and where were you planning on ordering fish? I am in Ann Arbor and have been trying to figure out where to buy my first discus.
Tivar
Go Bucks!

korbi_doc
01-24-2007, 09:40 PM
:) Don, are you receiving or sending? If receiving, which I interpreted your post as....I'll give you my experience with Fed-x......I live in the boondocks of tn, on a new dirt road, no signs, short time, even 911 couldn't find me....after reading multiple horror stories 'bout lost discus, I decided to pull out all the stops for this delivery from Fl. last month....they were triple packed with HEAT PACKS in styrofoam box in lg plastic bag....I put out large (2'x3') green fluorescent poster boards on both sides of dirt rd on main drag....& a third cut from the blue styro insulating board, (still there) with large print for Fed-x with name & address....no one missed it & I've been promised a st sign since, but you bet everyone knows where I am, & where "fish" should be delivered....they were P/U at 3:30 pm on tues in Fl, & were on my doorstep in Shiloh, Tn, at 9:am on wed....alive, warm & in the tank, happy, by 10am.....oh, & I bet I called Fed-x 5 times to be sure directions got to the driver.....lol, bet they were glad to be rid of me....now this service does cost, but with the cost of the fish I think it's necessary.....JME....Good luck, Dottie ;)

jpfelix
01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
why does your car have to be 84? put the kids in a cooler with an extra bag or two of warm water and you should be fine for a 2hr trip. i made a 4-5hr trip twice with a dozen in a cooler. no problems.

Don Trinko
01-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I am in Arlington Ohio.( 8 miles south of findlay) I am not sure where I am going to buy them yet. The 2 lfs in Findlay will order them for me but I have to take whatever they get. There is a store in toledo (Trilby's?) that have several varieties of Discus in stock. I am leaning twards them because I can see what I am getting and have control of the transpertation. Don T.

Fireflyfrommi
01-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi Don,

I wonder how far you are from Codiscus. His name is Mike Beals and I know he's in Ohio somewhere. I'm in Michigan and he delivered some fish for me on his way for a business trip. He's a nice guy and has great fish. He sells on aquabid, but he's one of the good sellers. If you need contact info, let me know.

Lisa

RobMc
01-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, I'm also in Ann Arbor area. As others have said, if well packed you should have no trouble as long a you pick them up at the shipper. From Findley you should consider getting in touch with Cary at Great Lakes Discus. Check him out the dealers section.