PDA

View Full Version : Runt Growth Potential

OIF03VET
01-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Lets say someone has a runt and knows it is smaller than it should be at 1 year old.
There could be many causes for this.

1. It could be caused by not eating/getting enough good food.
a. not being fed enough by its owner
b. being bullied and missing out on its fair share
c. It could be a lack of nutrition in its food
2. It could also be that the water condition requirements are not being
met.
a. To cold
b. To dirty
c. Wrong ph
In any case the question is this.........:confused: Can a runted fish ever start growing again, and if so what can one do to help it along.

(My situation is that the fish is being bullied and not getting enough food.)

Sorry if this is confusing:o

OIF03VET
01-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Any thoughts or ideas?

pcsb23
01-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Interesting question, the short answer is that it once its runted the damage is done. Can anything be done about it? yes but you will not reverse or recover the runting except in the most extreme of circumstances. I have heard of people who took a runted fish and grew it out to 6 or 7" but I have not seen the evidence to support it. :) However you can at least get the best out of it given its state now and the method is simple, lots and lots of good clean stable water, lots and lots of high quality food. Stable water is key here as any stressors will depress its growth. So if its being bullied remove it from that environment otherwise you have little or no chance. The likely hood is though that some other discus will become the victim of the bullying so be warned.

Hope that helps some,

OIF03VET
01-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I appreciate the responce. I thought that would be the answer. I put the fish in another tank for a while and see if anything come of it. At least he will no longer be constantly harassed. I know its only a fish but but it is also my pet and thats no life being chased all the time.

Polar_Bear
01-26-2007, 01:45 AM
One thing to consider is that fish continue to grow all of their lives. While I certainly agree with what Paul said, it is still something to consider. Will it ever reach its full potential? That would be a firm "no", but it will get at least somewhat bigger.

Squiggy
01-26-2007, 02:02 AM
I've had one go from runt to the largest fish in the tank...He had fallen so far behind that I actually seperated him from his siblings at one point and put him with smaller fish. Now hes the largest.
Not suggesting that this is the norm...but it happens...

Joe

Catfish Junkie
01-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah I kind of have the same problem. What I experienced, purely by chance, feeding live food and softening the water, that fish came out fighting! As soon as the feeder cone was dropped in the water it would come out forcing its' way into the mix. Not sayng this will jump start a runted fish, but it sure changed it attitude in the tank, and now it eats much better. Seems happpier, ie swimming around instead of hiding. Good luck!

cobaltblue
01-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I have a runt that may not have grown as large as his siblings, but his colour was exceptional, even nicer than his siblings. He has been a great fish. Didnt get past 4.5 inches, but still a beautiful fish and has just as much value in my eyes and his bigger brothers and sisters.:)

White Worm
01-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Lets say someone has a runt and knows it is smaller than it should be at 1 year old.
There could be many causes for this.

1. It could be caused by not eating/getting enough good food.
a. not being fed enough by its owner
b. being bullied and missing out on its fair share
c. It could be a lack of nutrition in its food
2. It could also be that the water condition requirements are not being
met.
a. To cold
b. To dirty
c. Wrong ph
In any case the question is this.........:confused: Can a runted fish ever start growing again, and if so what can one do to help it along.

(My situation is that the fish is being bullied and not getting enough food.)

Sorry if this is confusing:o

Correct me please but RUNT....wouldnt that be more of a genetic thing in the litter and STUNTED...would be from these causes (environment, treatment, etc)? I know someone pointed out the difference before, just cant remember who.

2RedTurqs
01-26-2007, 08:37 AM
I have 4 fish bought last September all were about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Two are growing great, looks like they are about 4 inches now. The other 2 are noticibly smaller. I think they had a combo of being picked on and other problems which seem to be cleared up now. I dosed with Prazi last week. They are all acting normal now.

I am now trying to see if they start growing. Who knows but if they are swimming I'm keeping them.

Squiggy
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Correct me please but RUNT....wouldnt that be more of a genetic thing in the litter and STUNTED...would be from these causes (environment, treatment, etc)? I know someone pointed out the difference before, just cant remember who.

You got it, Mike...;)

OIF03VET
01-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Ya, I would call them stunted rather than runted. It definatly would say it was a lack of eating that made my fish smaller. When I get home this weekend I will put him in his own tank. Thats for all the ideas!