PDA

View Full Version : Golden Pearls & Foods from Ken's Fish

Aiptasia
01-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I'd like to sing the praises of Ken's Fish supplies, specifically golden pearls and his other fish foods for all types of fish. They carry many different types of dry foods for all types of fish and i've been very satisfied with every formula i've tried.

Golden pearls are a fantastic off the shelf baby artemia substitute that my fry readily accepted from the first day. Ken carries the golden pearls food in several different micron sizes for the needs of different sized fry, from larval size to larger fry.

Ken also carries a premium line of crumblers, pellets, flake foods and name brand fish foods (HBH, NLS) in his shop. My fish absolutely love his earthworm based flake food and his natural color enhancing flake with spirulina and natu-rose. Ken also carries many fishroom supplies, filters, and shipping supplies for independent fish breeders.

Another plus is that he always seems to toss in a few extras into every order of something different. For example, on my last flake order, he tossed in 1/4 lb. of his garlic finicky eaters flake for free.

Check out his website here: www.kensfish.com

tpl*co
01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I notice he has bits also, have you tried them and how do they compare to tetra's colorbits?

I'm debating about his four bit blend :). Always say my fish eat better than me :).

Tina

AADiscus
01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
We just got an order in from him last week. That was the first time we have ever bought and it was a great experience. He has ALOT of different items.

fishmama
01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Has anyone tried "The Guardian" heaters by Penn Plax that he has on sale?

Aiptasia
01-27-2007, 12:33 AM
I notice he has bits also, have you tried them and how do they compare to tetra's colorbits?

I'm debating about his four bit blend :). Always say my fish eat better than me :).

Tina

I haven't tried his color bits out yet, but if they're anything like his other foods, you won't be disappointed. The variety and selection of his fish foods is tremendous.

I'm working on a new blend for growing out some kribensis, consisting of 1/3 of his earthworm flakes, 1/3 of his color enhancing flakes with natu-rose, and 1/3 his super vitamin flake. So far the fish are consuming it ravenously.

RobMc
03-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I have used Ken for my sponge filter needs and have been very happy with all purchases. He ships quickly and cheaply so I never hesitate to make a small order if I need something fast.

Rob

tpl*co
03-23-2007, 06:16 PM
just tried the color bits and premium color bits. They sink faster than the Tetrabits and seem to break up faster on the bottom of the aquarium. For these I think that a BB tank would probably be a good idea! At first they were unsure of them but a few of discus are eating them. The food seems really fresh too. I also tried the vegetable sticks and the spirulina wafers for my plecos and they didn't have to think about theirs :D

Tina

Ryan
04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I'd like to sing the praises of Ken's Fish supplies, specifically golden pearls and his other fish foods for all types of fish. They carry many different types of dry foods for all types of fish and i've been very satisfied with every formula i've tried.

Golden pearls are a fantastic off the shelf baby artemia substitute that my fry readily accepted from the first day. Ken carries the golden pearls food in several different micron sizes for the needs of different sized fry, from larval size to larger fry.

I actually bought some of his golden pearls after reading your article about raising kribs :) My krib pair has another spawn now that I decided not to hatch BBS for. They're currently getting Hikari First Bites and decapsulated brine, but I wanted to try the golden pearls. They should show up in my mailbox tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how they work -- sounds like you had great success though so I'm very hopeful :)

I wonder if you can raise young angels on them without needing to hatch BBS.

troyclark
04-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I ordered some Guardian 250 matt heaters from Ken a week ago. He has them for 14.95 apiece. After a week three of the four are rock steady and he is sending a replacement for the one that was bad out of the package. I E-mailed him at 11:30 at night about the defective heater and he answered me 15 minutes later telling me one would be in the mail the next morning. They are large, and made of aluminum according to Ken. I really like ordering from Ken. He is always very friendly on the phone and his customer service is second to none.

BTW, my fry and juvies absolutely love his earthworm flake. My smaller fry also really like his beefheart flakes. I bought some of the golden pearls and was going to try them with BBS and see if the fry will eat both. If anyone has any experience with the golden pearls I would appreciate some info since this is the first time I am using it. I have used Mike Reeds No BBS in the past on angel fry with good results and the golden pearls looks pretty similar.

Oh, yea back to the topic. Kensfish.com rocks !!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
I have been using the golden pearls for about a week in addition to Hikari First Bites and my krib fry are growing like crazy. They're doing much better than my previous batch which I fed decapsulated brine shrimp. Use it sparingly or be prepared to do large water changes. It can make quite a mess. The great thing is that my albino BN pleco eats the leftovers... the bad thing is that my kribs are in a tank with gravel and some of the leftover golden pearls tend to find their way into the gravel :(

I couldn't be happier with the foods I received from Ken. He also sent me a sample of some goldfish/koi pellets, but I don't have any of those. So if anyone wants to try some, let me know and I'll send them your way :)

wsoxman
09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
We always recommend Ken's Fish. Our fry grow fast with the Pearls. The Guardian heaters are a bargain at that price. No glass, steady control. Try Ken's Flake Foods. My Discus are not to keen on his bits. To hard? I even soften them in water and have to clean them up afterward. Tetra Bits are gone in seconds.
Ken's also takes PayPal and ships FASSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTT

We think so much of Ken's products we added his link to our website.

Jack

Jazz
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
Hello, I've been looking to buy some Ken Fish "Golden Pearls" and my question is what size would you recommend for Discus fry?

Thanks.

Cosmo
09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
I've heard so many good things about Golden Pearls I just ordered some :)

Jazz.. what age fry are you referring to?

Jim

Jazz
09-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Hello Jim, since the Golden Pearls are supposed to replace BBS I guess the earliest would be the better; let's say fry would be around 2weeks old.

Thanks

Greg Richardson
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Jazz. Do you feed something before two weeks?
You will hear all kinds of opinions when to start feeding BBS or something like Golden Pearls from first day they are attached to 7 days out. But I would do it as soon as you can.
Certainly not wait two weeks if that is what you meant?

Jazz
09-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello Greg,
I start feeding BBS on the 9th day after hatching, I would gradually introduce the "Golden Pearls" while still feeding the BBS.
Any suggestions are welcome........

Thanks

Greg Richardson
09-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Jazz. I'd start with BBS first as moving objects perk up curiosty better. As you say then mix in the GP's.

I try to start bbs couple day after attachment.
Sometimes sucessful and sometimes not.
But the sooner the better imo to at least try.

Jazz
09-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your advice Greg, it's much appreciated:thumbsup: