PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Magnum HOT filters, get them fast

Aiptasia
01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Marineland is doing away with their magnum series of canister filters in favor of going with a new design for their "C" series of canister filters (soon to be released). The new design is a top driven pump design with stacked media baskets similar to the rena filstars, fluvals, etc..

In a lot of retail locations, i've been seeing bargain sales of the magnum series of canister filters. I love the marineland magnum HOT filter (hang on tank) which is a small canister filter that moves about 200 +/- GPH. I haven't seen a hang on tank design for the new "C" series of filters, so it might be a good idea if you like the magnum HOT filters to pick up a spare one or two while they are on sale.

They're one of the few small canister filters that comes with both a media basket and a micron filter sleeve (interchangeable). The micron filter sleeve is invaluable for removing very fine particulates from all kinds of tanks, and for removing micro algae blooms which can occur. When a little dirty or primed with diatom powder, they can remove particulates down to one micron in size.

I love these little canister filters and they are a great little workhorse utility filter for many applications. I'm hoping that marineland will continue to see the value of this design and create a new HOT model in their "C" series, but i'm not counting on it. If you like this filter, you'd better grab an extra one or two before they're off the shelves and gone.

tpl*co
01-26-2007, 01:33 PM
I agree, I like the HOT and use the micron filter all the time, (of course I have a lot of them in cleaning state so I can always pop a clean one in :)). I don't know what I'd do without it on my baby bristlenose tank, those guys are so messy I have to change the micron filter out at least every other day! (of course I have a heard of babies and 4 adults in there munching and pooping their little hearts out!)

What about parts? Should we stock pile on the O rings and such? (like these filters don't have a gazillion of them that they go through!) No wonder I was able to get the quick disconnects so cheap at petsmart.com! (going to use them on another project).

Tina

diamond_discus
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I have the Magnum Pro (external).. but I ended up using the Micron filter only and stop using the bio-wheels. Micron filter is excellent to help keep your water clean from cloudiness. I change mine every 3 days.

I have the Fluval 305 as well, which works very good.

Aiptasia
01-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah, stocking up on spare o rings, impellors, internal gaskets, media baskets and micron filters might not be such a bad idea. I'm just afraid I won't be able to find these filters in the future so i'm picking up an extra few.

I don't use the bio-wheel models either, just the regular HOT filter setup. Are the Fluval 305's hang on units? Just curious.

Kingsfan
01-27-2007, 04:28 AM
good to know, i'm lookin to get one on payday

LizStreithorst
01-27-2007, 09:46 AM
I love my Magnums. Everyone loves them. Why would this company discontinue a product that is so popular?

poconogal
01-27-2007, 10:24 AM
My HOT Magnum is 14 years old. I bought it when the HOT first came out, after stomping, literally, on my Vortex Diatom filter... grrrrrrrr.

I can't believe that after all these years they would discontinue it. I've looked online and haven't seen any super sales on them.

Aiptasia, where did you learn that they will be discontinued?

Timbo
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Marineland still have it in their product listing on their own corporate site:
http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_hotmag.asp

dont ya just hate that? i wish that when company's are discontinuing something, they friggin tell ya. (but i cant find anything on the web that says they are discontinuing the line)

April
01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
hmm..i would say they will carry gaskets etc for some time afterwards..even if they do discontinue. maybe they will jsut change the colour..shape..etc..and same thing but series c or something. new and improved..higher price..who knows. i have one..i use mine also on occassion. not always..but if i need water polishing.

Aiptasia
01-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Marineland still have it in their product listing on their own corporate site:
http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_hotmag.asp

dont ya just hate that? i wish that when company's are discontinuing something, they friggin tell ya. (but i cant find anything on the web that says they are discontinuing the line)

They're switching over to their new "C" series top motor filters, which aren't in the stores yet. I'm sure once they crank up distribution on the new series of filters they're going to discontinue the magnum line. It makes more sense for them to compete with other top motor driven models with the multiple media baskets. Actually, the new "C" series of canister filters look like a good design. I just wish they'd make a hang on model.

I've also noticed magnum filters on sale at many major retailers for the past few months (www.fostersmith.com, thatpetplace.com, petsmart, etc.) and it looks to me like they're selling off their back inventory of magnums. I doubt retailers will have space on their shelves for two different product lines, so the magnums have to be on the way out.

Cosmo
01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking the Magnums have been onsale at drsfostersmith for at least the past year. The HOTs won't fit on my acrylic tanks, but I use the Magnum cannisters on my 90 and 180 for sweeping up the particulate. Only thing I think they're good for really with the media baskets being so small (except removing meds I guess).

Might have to stock up on some more micron cartridges though :)

Jim

Dood Lee
01-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Any pics, specs, or info on this new 'C' series line? I might want to test drive a unit and see how it compares to the other brands of canisters.

Dood Lee
01-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Nevermind, I've found them. These "new" canisters seem to be just rebranded Tetra canister filters that were available in Europe for quite some time now.

tpl*co
02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Nevermind, I've found them. These "new" canisters seem to be just rebranded Tetra canister filters that were available in Europe for quite some time now.

Please put up a link for the new series. Luckily the HOT fits my 27 gallon acrylic. Just ordered more O rings for reserve (especially those inner black ones that break all the time) and an extra impeller just in case.

Tina

tpl*co
02-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Hmmm, went to this site and maybe they're just redesigned? Here they have a new and improved HOT magnum?

http://www.petsolutions.com/H+O+T+Magnum+Canister+Filter-I-47490134-I-C-1-C-.aspx

Tina

Kingsfan
02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
well i just ordered one from drsfosters

diamond_discus
02-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Yeah, stocking up on spare o rings, impellors, internal gaskets, media baskets and micron filters might not be such a bad idea. I'm just afraid I won't be able to find these filters in the future so i'm picking up an extra few.

I don't use the bio-wheel models either, just the regular HOT filter setup. Are the Fluval 305's hang on units? Just curious.

Both of my Magnum and Fluval 305 are external canister units. I use them in two different tank. I use the Magnum for purification .. while I use the Fluval 305 as the main filter at the other tank.

Blue Ram
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
What size of tank (gallons) is this filter appropriate for?