PDA

View Full Version : steralizing filter

FairyDiscus
01-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I have just bought an eheim 2028 external filter from e-bay. The guy that sold it to me didnt bother cleaning any of it so i need to know how i can steralize it. The whole filter needs cleaning including the hoses. Should i fill filter with boiling water to steralize it?

Elite Aquaria
01-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Dip the entire filter in a bucket or tank full of water and bleach. Leave it for 24 hours. Then rinse it out...I use bleach on all my tanks and equipment. Then I put some extra prime when I set up each tank.

Dan

FairyDiscus
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks. What about the hoses? Should i just clean them with a toothbrush or put them in bleach too.

poconogal
01-27-2007, 10:16 AM
I recently bought a used Eheim 2028 off Ebay too. It needs cleaning! I'm setting up my WC barrel in my basement (in case the filter leaks), putting chlorine in the water and hooking up the filter. This way the filter will circulate the water through everything in the filter. The next day I'll add dechlorinator to make sure all chlorine is gone, even though chlorine dissipates in 24 hours. As far as hoses, though, I had to buy new hose because the hoses that came with the filter were too short. 10 ft. of Eheim hose was about $10, online, plus shipping, but I did order other stuff too. My friend bought a used Eheim 2026 off Ebay and when she hooked it up it flooded her cabinet and floor. She needed new seals, etc. so be careful!

Connie

korbi_doc
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
:) Some of us have been sterilizing sponges/filters with the microwave...love it, easy, quick reliable....2 minutes or less, with WET! materials....then this week MSN had a warning 'bout "miking" sponges, someone had published it, some left out the warning, there were sev'l ppl complaining what the "dry" sponge did to their house, including fires....I did think it was self explanatory, but evidenty not.....so, it's ok to do it, but be careful....KEEP IT WET!....doesn't have to be soaking, just wet...lol, & of course anything else must not have metal... gotta be careful with these disclaimers, lol,lol, Dottie;)

FairyDiscus
01-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks. Do i need to use a prefilter? If so which one shall i get?

korbi_doc
01-27-2007, 05:31 PM
:) Yes, I do believe prefilters are a big help; I use'm on my AC's & they definitely save the big sponge inside the filter, don't have to clean as often, & I am a bit lazy, lol.....I just rinse'm in tap water, squeeze & replace....sterilizing only necessary infrequently with such instances as you describe.....these prefilters are available many dealers: there are 2 types here, mine are just replacements as are these white ones, mine are black....Dottie ;)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4182&Ntt=prefilters&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1