PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Foods - California Blackworms

roclement
01-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I just received my order of california blackworms from Dan at Aquatic Foods, perfect as usual!

I receive about 2 lbs every two weeks or so, my discus and stingrays go nuts for them! Even my arowanas take gulfs of them from the substrate!

Good price, great procuct, excellent customer service! A++ Highly recomend it!

http://www.aquaticfoods.com

Rod

poconogal
01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Rod, does he ship with a heat pack? Also, is it overnight delivery? I plan on ordering but was waiting until Thurs. so that they won't sit outside and freeze, since my husband is home on Fridays.

roclement
01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
They actually ship with cooling pads! And are overnight, if you order in the am, they will be at your door next day between 12:00 and 2:00pm, never fails! FEDEX. They don't ship on Friday and weekends.

I get them shipped to my work adress in Philadelphia and with the cold weather, I recomend that you are home to receive them so they don't sit outdoors and freeze.

Make sure you rinse them well before using! I also use a product called "worm keeper" from Mark Weiss, it is a powder that helps to clean them and keep them alive, my survial rate has been excellent using this, I can keep them alive well into my next shipment arrives, give it a try! You can get it at any web based retailler like That Fish Place.

HTH

Rod

Greg Richardson
01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
How long have you kept them alive using that product? Have a link?

Elite Aquaria
01-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I have also had great experiences with worms from Dan...

All I do to keep them alive is daily water change with aged chilled declorinated water, kept in the fridge.

Dan

roclement
01-31-2007, 08:20 AM
How long have you kept them alive using that product? Have a link?

Greg, I have kept worms for over 4 weeks with this product, I probably could have gone longer...clean water and daily rinsing keep worms happy, the only times I had a problem with them were all due to my fault, not cleaning them, or using tap water by mistake...chlorine...

Here is the link $9.99

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/productInfo.web?infoParam.mode=1&infoParam.itemKey=203354

HTH! Rod

Elite Aquaria
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Rod,

I am able to keep my worms alive for over 4 weeks without Marc's product. What does it do? Is it a food? I may give it a try on my next batch to see the difference.

Dan

roclement
01-31-2007, 09:17 AM
Rod,

I am able to keep my worms alive for over 4 weeks without Marc's product. What does it do? Is it a food? I may give it a try on my next batch to see the difference.

Dan

In theory it is an enzime that helps to nourish them so their nutritional value gets higher, remember that Aquatic Foods purges this worms before shipping so they are basically loosing nutritional value every day by consuming their own proteins (?)

This product is supposed to feed them and help them stay healthy, it may be just another BS product but, I did see better survival rates, as well as healthy, non-smelling worms in my containers. Again, it may just be another "magic product" out there, but it seems to work for me.

I'd be curious to see someone ele try it to compare results.

HTH

Rod

Polar_Bear
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
Of all the places I buy CBW from I think Dan's are the best, although they are also the most expensive. If you go by the prices on their site the price looks good until you recieve the actual bill which always has much higher shipping charges than you had anticipated.

Greg Richardson
01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for link Rod.

roclement
01-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Of all the places I buy CBW from I think Dan's are the best, although they are also the most expensive. If you go by the prices on their site the price looks good until you recieve the actual bill which always has much higher shipping charges than you had anticipated.

It probably is higher because they ship to our home adress, a lot of other "worm farms" ship only to wholesale accounts, just guessing...still cheaper than the LFS at $1.60 per 2oz portion of questionable source.
I did the math a loong time ago in another forum, I think that it came down to $0.25 a day for my stingrays something like that, I will try to find that "math" and post it here.

Thanks for link Rod.

You're welcome, if you buy it, PM me with your results! I am curious if I am just whishfully thinking that this is helping!

Rod

Greg Richardson
01-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Rod. Unfortunately I'm the wrong person to compare results as I just started using them. So I need a few years then I'll have an educated opinion.

I'm like you though always leary of those type of products and sure wish we had a lab free to run experiments like these.

So many experiments like different foods I'd like to know about. Combinations of foods for growth and color. Water change amount. It goes on and on.

roclement
01-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Rod. Unfortunately I'm the wrong person to compare results as I just started using them. So I need a few years then I'll have an educated opinion.

I'm like you though always leary of those type of products and sure wish we had a lab free to run experiments like these.

So many experiments like different foods I'd like to know about. Combinations of foods for growth and color. Water change amount. It goes on and on.

...and that is part of what makes this fun! : ) Aren't we crazy!?

Rod

Greg Richardson
01-31-2007, 07:59 PM
...and that is part of what makes this fun! : ) Aren't we crazy!?

Rod

Yes and no. LOL! I am Crazy........... but discus keep me sane sometimes. They are my therapy.

Polar_Bear
02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
It probably is higher because they ship to our home adress, a lot of other "worm farms" ship only to wholesale accounts, just guessing...still cheaper than the LFS at $1.60 per 2oz portion of questionable source.
I did the math a loong time ago in another forum, I think that it came down to $0.25 a day for my stingrays something like that, I will try to find that "math" and post it here.

You're welcome, if you buy it, PM me with your results! I am curious if I am just whishfully thinking that this is helping!

Rod

Rod,
Actually they all ship to my door and Dan is far and away the most expensive, followed by Worn Man, and then by Bill Eagan, with Bill being by far the least expensive for me. btw $1.60 for 2 ounces works out to $12.80 a pound, your lfs has very good prices if that is correct. But, as I said, Dan's are also the best, the healthiest, and "freshest".

roclement
02-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Rod,
Actually they all ship to my door and Dan is far and away the most expensive, followed by Worn Man, and then by Bill Eagan, with Bill being by far the least expensive for me. btw $1.60 for 2 ounces works out to $12.80 a pound, your lfs has very good prices if that is correct. But, as I said, Dan's are also the best, the healthiest, and "freshest".

Agree, to me it is like buying produce from a second rate supplier (meaning the local fish store, not any of the other suppliers you mentioned), or paying a little more for premuim ( I buy a lot of produce!) Also the consistency is very important to me, with Dan they are always on-time, and clean...just works for me!

Rod

EyeOfThierry
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Agree, to me it is like buying produce from a second rate supplier (meaning the local fish store, not any of the other suppliers you mentioned), or paying a little more for premuim ( I buy a lot of produce!) Also the consistency is very important to me, with Dan they are always on-time, and clean...just works for me!

Rod

You sound like you're getting kickbacks from Dan for plugging him so well...
Dan's prices are very expensive.

He quoted me :

"the 1-lb total is very close to 33.25
and the 3/4 and two keepers is close to 48-49 $"

for shipping it to NYC.. he's referring to Special Offer #5 on his page $24.95 , offer #2 at $40.50.

Even though, he says, "All Special offers include door-to-door delivery
with FedEx freight included ( excluding FS, RES, RDAS and OPF)"

So not really sure what he's talking about FedEx Freight already included!

That be some mighty expensive worms... Right now, I get 2oz at $2.50. So all told ... i should stick with my LFS.

Also, I've seen no need to buy additional products yet to condition the worms. The daily rinsing is doing a fine job. I figure for live products like that, the most i'd want to keep them is 2 weeks... before next supply... (and i've really been doing weekly so far)

If he was cheaper, I might reconsider for the ease of home delivery.

roclement
02-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Dan's prices are very expensive.

He quoted me :

"the 1-lb total is very close to 33.25
and the 3/4 and two keepers is close to 48-49 $"

for shipping it to NYC.. he's referring to Special Offer #5 on his page $24.95 , offer #2 at $40.50.

Even though, he says, "All Special offers include door-to-door delivery
with FedEx freight included ( excluding FS, RES, RDAS and OPF)"

So not really sure what he's talking about FedEx Freight already included!

That be some mighty expensive worms... Right now, I get 2oz at $2.50. So all told ... i should stick with my LFS.

Also, I've seen no need to buy additional products yet to condition the worms. The daily rinsing is doing a fine job. I figure for live products like that, the most i'd want to keep them is 2 weeks... before next supply... (and i've really been doing weekly so far)

If he was cheaper, I might reconsider for the ease of home delivery.

That's the beauty of this section, it is here for me to praise who I like to do buiness with, please feel free to praise whomever you do business with in a separate thread, or even to critique them if you so desire.

As for your coment about the kickback...it would be nice, maybe Dan can send me some free worms! : ) I do like the convenience!

Rod

Bainbridge Mike
02-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Please note that this new section is intended to provide an opportunity for members to talk about their personal, first hand experiences with a particular vendor or product. If you see a post regarding a vendor or product you have personal experience with, feel free to reply and describe your own experience. If you don't have first hand experience, please post in another location.

Thanks,
Simply Discus

EyeOfThierry
02-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Please note that this new section is intended to provide an opportunity for members to talk about their personal, first hand experiences with a particular vendor or product. If you see a post regarding a vendor or product you have personal experience with, feel free to reply and describe your own experience. If you don't have first hand experience, please post in another location.

Thanks,
Simply Discus

i do, so i did.

brewmaster15
02-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi Thierry,
The Point Of Mikes comment was to remind everyone that this section is for product review..

ex...

great porduct, I buy it all the time

bad product ....poor shipping , expensive compared to other I buy from..

Discussions should be kept to a minimum. The Comments directed at another members posts aren't necessary.. Comments like

Dan's prices are very expensive. Even as a joke is not the kind of dialogue we want here.....

Just members personal experiences.

also.. Suggestion..

The weiss product mentiones really should be in its own thread.

Hope that clears things up, If not drop me a PM and we can talk more.

-al

Kindredspirit
02-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I had a problem with them were all due to my fault, not cleaning them, or using tap water by mistake...chlorine... Rod

I did this one time Rod and Dan replaced them for me at no charge:) Great guy to deal with and very helpful I must say! He is not far from me ~ I pay if I remember .....$22.00 something for 1/2lb....1/4lb?....I can not recall...lol! I get them usually the next day by 3pm...every time:)

They last a long time for me tho ~ I usually toss them when they start to smell!

Marie ~ :balloon:

Namor!
05-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Great worms, last forever if kept properly. The shipping charges are kind of tricky though. I usually buy the 10 pound package and split it with a few local guys to get a better rate.

alxjss
05-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Well, i just recieved my first batch of CBW's from Aquatic, i am satisfied. I also got a worm keeper. They r pretty nice. Makes it easy to clean the worms. They r alive and being eatin as we speak~~~