PDA

View Full Version : Red Turq Getting Dark

dliles6254
02-14-2007, 01:47 AM
I have 3 Discus in a 45 gal hex tank. My Red Turq (smallest fish 3 inches, but not by alot) is getting very dark then goes back to norm for the past few days. My water checks out fine PH is 6.0 and all others are good. I have been told that it maybe sick or could be ready to breed. I have only had Discus for about 2 months and I don't know alot. If someone could give me little help it would be great.

Thanks

poconogal
02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Could be stress related and the fish could be getting sick now. 3 is not a good number for Discus. What usually happens is that one (many times the smallest one) will be bullied by the other two. Eventually number 3 dies from stress. Then the remaining 2 will fight, with the weaker one going the way of the first one that died, unless your remaining two are a mated pair. Its best to keep at least 5 Discus, at the minimum. Have you noticed your discus being chased a lot, or getting beat up?

t_j
02-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Do you have a black background or driftwood in the tank? Pics would be great if you can.

dliles6254
02-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't have a background its all glass and no drift wood. I just have plants. I would love to post a picture I just don't know how to do it. If you could tell me I will post some. The little turq gets chased a little, but not much. When you look at the fish it still looks healthy.

Marinemom
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
He may be getting sick and please watch for bullying by the other two. This is quite common with that number of discus.

Diane

dliles6254
02-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Do you think that I should add more to the tank? After watching him/her for a week I don't think it's sick.

poconogal
02-16-2007, 12:42 PM
If you get more Discus, you really should have a separate QT tank and not just put them in with your others. They need to be QT'd for a minimum of a month, 6 weeks would be even better. In your 45 gal hex tank you may be able to have 5 Discus, MAX, if you have good aeration. As you may know, a hex tank is not the best choice for carbon dioxide/oxygen gas exchange, due to the smaller surface area of a hex compared to a regular, rectangular tank.

If you have seen the little turq being chased a little, unless you are there to actually watch all day long, it could very well be that the chasing is actually not a little, but goes on all day long, which would cause a great deal of stress to him.