PDA

View Full Version : Startig first discus tank

Derek
02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
So I'm a discus noob and plan to make my new 75 gallon tank a planted discus tank. I'm not new to plants but just keeping discus. The tank will have flourite substrate, 340 watts of light, a 300 watt heater, and pressurized co2.
Now to the questions, What is the smallest ammount of discus I can keep? I was thinking 4-5, And should I start with juvies? I want to b/c the larger ones are triple the price where I'm at. Also will my 7.6-7.8 ph be a factor if the discus are domesticated? They are tank bred from what I'm told. Although my ph is high my water isn't very hard, When I raise my co2 to 30ppm my ph drops to 6.8, but I don't want my water params jumping all over to kill my fish. Also because it is planted what is the lowest temp I could keep them at? I was thinking 80-82 degrees? My plan is to keep the juvies in my spare 55 gallon for a month or two and once the planted tank gets established I will introduce them to it. What are your thoughts?

Ardan
02-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Hi and welcome:)
4 to 5 juvies would be good to grow out for a while in the 55. If you are new to discus this would be best. I have seen people grow big discus in a planted tank, but for me the barebottom might be best. Then introduce to the planted tank when grown. ph is fine
Do lots of wc's at least 3 times/wk.

hth
Ardan

pcsb23
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi Derek, growing out juvvie discus in a planted tank is a mighty challenge. Not saying it can't be done as I've done it. Personally think it would be easier to push water uphill :) Never again. My advice is either buy adults for the planted or grow out juvvies in a bare bottom tank.

As for temps I have found that 82 is the bare minimum where mine maintain good health, below that and they start to get niggly "illnesses" and are just off. I aim for 84f (29c) in most of my tanks, even my planted ones, most plants cope well enough. If the plants are more important then don't put discus in there as the increased w/c's are good for discus and not so good for plants.

GrillMaster
02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey there Derek

I agree 100% with Ardan an Paul.

If you have a 55G, you would be foolish to not utilize it, an grow 4-5 out to the best they can be. Plenty of WC's each day, lots of food etc... This will really alow you to get to know what these fish are all about, an how to take care of em.

At the same time your planted tank will just keep maturing! When the discus get to 5-6" an your planted tank is doin great, you can simply move them over to your 75G. IF YOU STILL WANT TO!! ;)

I am in the exact same scenario you are in at the moment. I am growing out some RT's in 55G BB to move them into my 75G co2 injected heavily planted tank.

The thing is, That is simply not gonna happen!! The fish take on such a personality during the time you take care of them, putting them in a planted tank is the last thing I want to do right now!!

Try raisin em in the 55G. You will know exactly what I am talking about. When they greet ya at the front of the tank each day, let ya hand feed em, lay in your hand etc...Then watch them spawn, an take care of fry... You will see things in a whole new perspective!! :)

I know I have...Not spawning yet, but all the rest is just awsome. I know its just a matter of time before they spawn.

Dont get me wrong, I will have one nice planted tank with discus in it when I set up more new tanks, but the raisin juvies is a great experience.

tc
Mark

fishmama
02-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi Derek-

A couple hours drive to northern KC,MO might change your mind about size/price issues. Discus KC (Jack Taylor) is located here with amazing fish and very fair pricing. I started with adults and sub-adults for my "show tank" and have not been disappointed.

HTH
Lisa

PS: Check out the sponsor section...there are many great breeders.

Derek
02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm hoping to move them to the 75 once they aquire some good size, but you never know... I don't think I will be breeding at any rate though in my 7.8ph water. Also how long will it take to grow 3inch juvies to 5-6 inches? providing I do 2-3 wc's a week and feed 3-4 times a day.

dliles6254
02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello,
just wanted to add my two cents about Jack. I got my Discus from Jack and I would buy from him if you can. I have only had mine (5 discus) for about 2 months now. The fish I got are about 10 months and younger. Everyone has been a big help to me. You are looking for help in the right place!!

Darrin

RyanH
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Yup, Jack is one of the good guys. :)

I would follow the advice given above. Keep things simple for yourself. Grow them out bb and then think about plants and substrate.

poconogal
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm hoping to move them to the 75 once they aquire some good size, but you never know... I don't think I will be breeding at any rate though in my 7.8ph water. Also how long will it take to grow 3inch juvies to 5-6 inches? providing I do 2-3 wc's a week and feed 3-4 times a day.
Hi. My tank runs 7.8-7.9 and I now have 3 spawning pairs. One pair has been spawning since Sept. 06, and I get wigglers from them every time now. The other two pairs have just started spawning. My water has high PH but is pretty soft, with 4 dkh and 4 dgh. So, yes, even in your 7.8 PH water, the Discus will spawn. Many feed juvies at least 6 times per day for good growth.

pcsb23
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi Derek, one of the "secrets" to growing out fish is lots and lots of good clean water, the more w/c's you do the better the growth rate ime. Whilst I don't know for certain I suspect it removes most of the stuff that inhibits growth. What I'm saying is the 2 to 3 w/cs a week should become 4 to 5 for best results imo. When I have juvvies I do w/c every day of at least 50%. Oh and I feed at least 4 times a day but often as many times as 6.

hth,

Derek
02-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Ok so I added 3 3.5inch discus to my BB 55 growout tank(I was going to add more but the place I got them obly had 3 in there tap water which was 7.6 and the other stores all kept their fish in 6.5ph so once they get more I will pick them up. I acclimated them for about an hour and now they are swimming around the tank looking at their reflections on the bottom of the tank. Does this sound good? temp is 82degrees, When should I do the first water change? I fed them bloodworms once and only 1 fish ate the other kinda sat and swam together, will the others eventually eat or should I try a different food?

White Worm
02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Only problem with your theory is now you will have to do two seperate QT because you dont know where they are coming from. Should have taken the drive to Jacks. 3 is not a good number most times. Leave the lights off and dont feed for about 24 hours. Let them settle. Dont start dumping in a bunch of different foods (they will eat when they are ready) Frozen blood worms is a start. You will just foul the water if you add a bunch of foods. Ask the lfs what they were eating, change 50% of the water every day.

Derek
02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I would have went to jacks but I'm only 17 for one and don't have that much money to spend, anyways I got them to eat some flakes and they seem to be doing well so far in my 7.8 ph water, would it be a good idea to add any kind of fungus cure or something of the sort before hand?

White Worm
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Dont medicate unless you have problems that require meds. Temp should be around 85F.

Derek
03-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Here is my planted tank these guys will be going into once they get 4.5-5 inches. O yea also the fish, all fish seem to be doing good so far, no problems yet,20% wc 4 times a week w/ peat water, temp is 85, eating well, there is one runt who is stunted but he's starting to eat better also.

Derek
03-05-2007, 10:11 PM
some others.... hows it all look? suggestions?

aquaticplantman
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Your plants look very nice. Did you say the planted tank is a 75? It just doesn't look that big. Could just be the angle of the pictures though. The three pidgeon bloods look good for your first discus, but that turq in the first pic of the post above honestly looks really rough. The snakeskin in the last picture needs to round out quite a bit, but with good food and water changes, he could certainly become a very nice fish.

I would say that you shouldn't use peat at this time. For growing out juvies, it's not really going to give you any advantage. Just plenty of aged water WCs -- even with your high pH water -- is all they need. Using peat all the time really just introduces another potential source for something to go wrong.

Looking good,
-- Matt H.

P.S. Have you checked your PMs lately?