PDA

View Full Version : Heckels with other wilds

David Urban
02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello may I put together my heckels with two RSG and one alenquer, or just my heckels. Water conditions is for Heckels.
Saludos

David Urban

Apistomaster
02-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Hi Dave,
Yes you can keep them with other types of wild discus. How well they do usually is a matter of their size compared to the others and probably more importantly, how much space you allot for each discus. If they are crowded the Heckels may not get their fair share of food.
What I have experienced is the other discus will vigorously attack the food scattering pieces everywhere and the Heckels often hold back somewhat and pick off the loose pieces away from the main action only occassionally going straight to the center of all the action.
I maintained several large wild Royal Blues with an equal number of large Heckels for several years.
Now that my focus is breeding Heckels I will only keep them with their own kind.
Larry W.

OnyongJun
02-27-2007, 08:22 AM
I keep 4 heckels with wild large Angels and another 8 with extra large wild angels. I'm not trying to breed them just like them swimming around in their community tanks.

Apistomaster
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I love displays of wild angels and wild discus together. If you have the space for both it makes for a wonderful community.
I can't say the same for keeping domestic angels with discus. It "ain't natural."

David Urban
02-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Thank you for your answer I am tolking about 7 heckels plus 2 RSG and one alequer for 100 gallons tank with two canister filter Otto 1500 and Eheim 2250, I will make my thank amazonic type I have already 12 cardinal tetra other 4 wilds tetras plus barbos cherry, and three ancistrus and thats all,
Today I put turba (pet) in my querentine tank and 100 gallons tank

I do not handle the conductivity, but my TDS in querentine thank is 116 and in my principal is 145 is it ok for them?
Saludos from Mexico

Apistomaster
02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
If all your discus are eating well and you make large water changes every week the water you are using will be OK. Ideally, lower TDS levels are preferrable.

David Urban
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanyou for your answer
regards

David