PDA

View Full Version : AA wants Heckels

Green Country Discus
02-26-2007, 10:40 PM
AA wants to try some Heckels! :p :D

What/Who is a good source? What is the best time of year to acquire them? What would everyone else recommend as far as starter fish, how many and what size? As far as the rest, we have some experience and will take it from there. All advice will be taken into consideration! Please help the AA project. lol

Keep Smiling

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
Talk to Jerry Baer (Yogi on the board) about Heckels. He can get them for you at wholesale cost from an importer in Miami. That or talk to Alberto of Aquatechnics. Both can get you good fish.

-Ryan

Apistomaster
02-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Now is the rainy season and fewer wild discus are available but that will change.

OnyongJun
02-27-2007, 08:30 AM
I got mine from the Miami station of Ruinemans Aquarium based in Holland in November of 2005. They debug all their wild caught fish before they are offered for sale. They are also an excellent source of Cardinal Tetras for keeping your wild caught fish company.

raglanroad
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
R'mans in Florida is a biggie, right?

billeagan
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I have one in my stock tank now and I can get more... I'd be a bit worried given the season... My guy sends good quality stuff but in general things decline now.

Ryan
02-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Most of the really good stuff shows up around January, right? Usually wilds start popping up on lists in the late fall/early winter but I heard the best time for certain fish, including heckels, is the very beginning of the year.

Ryan

Green Country Discus
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks all for the info. We are not in a hurry and would rather start this journey when the time is right. When is the best time to get young Heckels 3 1/2"+- with the best chance for quality and health. We can spare a tank for this experiment and we are looking forward to keeping them with the goal of breeding ;) .

Polar_Bear
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
These came from Bill

Kenny's Discus
03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi Andrew & Angela - when you're ready for the Heckel journey you will get the good ones you want...the best fish goes to the best breeder it's called "The Law of Breeding Discus".:)

Larry you got some nice Heckels! Big thumbs up to Bill.:thumbsup:

Kenny

billeagan
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Generally,. they fall off my list in the next month or two and then show up again in late summer early fall.

Of course, it depends on demand. If they have not been ordered as much they are sitting in the holding tanks.

I can get you solid 3 - 4 inch heckels for $30-$35 depending on what the shipping gods do. And, if I can ship freight to you its generally 40 cents a pound. If I have to go delta dash its $80 up to 50lbs.
Bill

Green Country Discus
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Polar Bear, those look real nice...nice supply job Bill.

LOL Kenny, you are the bomb my friend. Hope all is well with you!

Bill, I will send a PM soon ;) .

Squiggy
03-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Andrew

Promise me you won't try to make a square heckel....:crazy:

:D

Joe

billeagan
03-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Andrew

Promise me you won't try to make a square heckel....:crazy:

:D

Joe

Only if he has a round tank=)

Green Country Discus
03-03-2007, 02:40 PM
LOL Sqiuggy/Joe its part of the plan.....have you ever seen a square Heckel? JK, Hope all is well with you Joe! Keep smiling...;) !

OnyongJun
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
R'mans in Florida is a biggie, right?

In deference to the sponsors of this site, I shall refrain from any mention or comments about wholesalers, LFS, or any seller for that matter.

A google search might help you with that question. They have a web site.